Earth bonding to new pipework....? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Earth bonding to new pipework....? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

mmmadman

Hi all............

I am fitting a new bathroom suite and I have noticed that the copper pipes are fitted with earth bonds (clamp type affair) thank goodness.

I will be extending the copper pipework in the bathroom to include a built in shower, my question is do I have to fit new bonds to this new pipework or is it ok as it will be connected to existing protected copper pipework...?

Many thanks, cheers.................:)

Hi An electrical forum may be your best bet. As with the introduction of RCD's (Replacing fuses) earthing practice has seen some changes.

I was told (by a qualified electrician) that MOST times it's best to replace like for like. So if you find earthing cables, change them, re-clamp or whatever, and if you don't find bonding you can feel safe enough to leave it.

As said above though, I THINK (not sure though which is why I use an electrician) that if the consumer unit is full of RCDs then you don't have to bond.

If I'm in doubt I'll phone my sparky chappy. I'd rather a live paying customer than a dead one.

So in your case, you can probably leave alone, but for peace of mind you might fit an extension earthing cable from your new pipework to the older pipework.

Last edited by a moderator:
You still need to bond, even if RCD protected.

If existing metal pipe work is not bonded, it should be.

Equipotential bonding works by ensuring the is no potential difference between extraneous metal parts.

You still need to bond, even if RCD protected.

If existing metal pipe work is not bonded, it should be.

Equipotential bonding works by ensuring the is no potential difference between extraneous metal parts.

Not quite true as your sparky will tell you if you ask, remember jack of all trades but master of none is very true, especially now ed 17 rules apply

Was gonna say. Last sparky I spoke told me not to bother with equipotential bonding on the new bath (and taps) I'd installed.

He was changing the consumer unit, and said I didnt have to. Beleive it or not, I still did the bonding. Old habits die hard.

hi mmmadman, you only need to extend the bonding if you have added more pipework using plastic thus breaking the path for electricity to go to ground. if all pipe work and fittings added are of copper dont touch the earth.

hi mmmadman, you only need to extend the bonding if you have added more pipework using plastic thus breaking the path for electricity to go to ground. if all pipe work and fittings added are of copper dont touch the earth.

That's great, many thanks.................:)

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
The only opening in a built in gas meter box...
Replies
Views
N
Thank you all. The wording was ambiguous in...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
Ok, so on paper looks like a feasible upgrade...
Replies
Views
Back