Easy question for those with more experience than me! | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Easy question for those with more experience than me! in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Doing my first combi boiler install the week after next. It's in a property that has just had a new gas supply fitted. How do the gas transporters normally leave the meter box for you? I'm assuming the ECV will be there and also the anaconda and regulator will be connected to the ECV already and capped off?

Do I just have to supply the gas meter to complete the meter cabinet installation? Will I need any warning notices such as ECV on/off tape or will the gas transporter do this bit?

Want to make sure I arrive fully prepared that's all.

Cheers!

went to one with nothing but an ecv but had a few with everything and just a cap on the outlet side read for a 28mm union so hard to say and unless you got your meter cert dont think you can fit one

When they instal the new metre everything inside the box will be ready for you with the exception on continuity bonding, they will put a disk in the outlet and normally leave you a 22mm male brass end to work from.

Around here it will be a 3/4"F (Brass) outlet from the box with a disc in themeter outlet. All labels will be there. Remember the bondingwill probably be needed. But you don't have to do it, but make sure you leave a notice.

I do have my meter ticket, got it just for this job. Was told I would have to supply and fit the meter myself.

I do have my meter ticket, got it just for this job. Was told I would have to supply and fit the meter myself.

tbh if you have to supply it, prob be empty no gov or flex

Jobs i been to have a gas meter supplied by the service provider.

Usually just turned off with a sealing disc in the downstream side

As above not down to you to supply gas meter, that the gas suppliers job, you only connect from the outlet side of Meter.

As above not down to you to supply gas meter, that the gas suppliers job, you only connect from the outlet side of Meter.

not always the case as previously thought the same and phoned them up and they said its not down to them

not always the case as previously thought the same and phoned them up and they said its not down to them

So how would you know if meter is calibrated and how meny years would they expect you to maintain it ? and who would get the money from the standing charge,

So how would you know if meter is calibrated and how meny years would they expect you to maintain it ? and who would get the money from the standing charge,

then once you fit they come out and inspect and take readings same situations with water meters if there pita ones

Its the gas transporters responsibility to supply a meter. Call them if not there already.
As above people would be fitting allsorts if down to them

Not round this way it ain't they supply the meters , I was on one job where they turned up to sort a meter out he decided to change it.Asked hm 5o have spare meter he said no they account for meters in and out .

So true.
This meter contract im considering - everything is accounted for booked out. Booked in

There are one or two on here that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

It is NOT down to you to supply the Primary gas meter.

That can only be supplied by the gas provider.

There are one or two on here that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

It is NOT down to you to supply the Primary gas meter.

That can only be supplied by the gas provider.

I know you don't have to supply them normally, I'm just repeating what they told me as I had to supply one, they came to inspect and record the reading

dont know if they were in between contracts or what but I defo had to supply one as there supplier didn't leave one

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is this a serious question Croft or are you ripping the pish? Tell her to phone you to arrange a date after the meter is fitted.

Hi all,

Doing my first combi boiler install the week after next. It's in a property that has just had a new gas supply fitted. How do the gas transporters normally leave the meter box for you? I'm assuming the ECV will be there and also the anaconda and regulator will be connected to the ECV already and capped off?
Cheers!

If there is no meter. They willl have removed the reg and anaconda and bracket (if fitted). Ecv will be capped and should have a notice nearby.
You will need customer to establish a gas suppier and inform they need a meter. They will in in turn get meter network lads out to fit meter and annaconda etc etc.

If uncommisioned /faulty appliances are suspected connected to carcas or there are no appliances fitted then he should cap meter outlet off and leave notice nearby and TT meter. He records meter serial etc and tells supplier for billing.

It will then be down to you to restablish the supply TT. Purge relight etc...but if everythigs working when he gets there and its an ordinary meter swap - he would do that.

Bear in mind a lot of meter fitters have the most basic quals and cannot work on appliances.

So you can see why anyone just cant help themselves to a meter or decide when to inform - Its not your property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who told you that pish. Would you buy an electric meter for someone with a new supply. Think about it and think how ridiculous it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Great. Thanks 😀
Replies
Views
the Same position for meter but riser outside...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
Back