Expansion tank overflow now that new condensing boiler has been fitted. | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion tank overflow now that new condensing boiler has been fitted. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an automatic bypass valve fitted? (If not there should be)

I had this problem once - Put your motorised valve(s) to the manually open position (lever on the side and locking lug) and see if the problem still happens then. If not it could be a wiring / electrical issue.

Last edited:
from the top of the tank where the pipe comes out, the pipe should extend at least 450mm and then the vent pipe should go to the F & E in the loft, any less is no good as you will (may) get one pipe circulation, take a photo of the top of teh tank and post it here, we need to see it, measure it also and tell us how long it goes alsong until the vent is cut in.

Thanks rocketmanbkk. OK, here's the pictures of the F&E tank. The first picture shows the F&E tank with the vent pipe over the side. There is only 30cm from the top of the bend to the waterline in the tank. People have said this is too low.

The second picture shows the back of the F&E tank with the vent pipe going down almost 80cm where it comes alongside the cold feed pipe. The third picture shows both the cold feed and vent pipe running next to each other on a downward slope over to the corner of the house (run must be 2.5 - 3m).

The last picture then shows the cold feed and vent pipes comes down through ceiling and then over to meet the rest of the pipework just before the pump.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again...

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 47
OK, but the water vessel in the airing cupboard, the hot water pipe come out the top (?), it should the immediately at 90 degrees branch of, then, at a minimum distance of 450mm the vent pipe should going to the F & E tank, is the 450mm there? If not, water will go back in the water vessel (maybe) but it will also go up the vent pipe as its an easier route, it must extent 450mm minimum before you can cut the vent pipe in.

What is the measurement?

Rocketmanbbk - Sorry, I'm confused now. You're saying that the hot water tank in the airing cupboard should vent into the central heating F&E tank?

OK, but the water vessel in the airing cupboard, the hot water pipe come out the top (?), it should the immediately at 90 degrees branch of, then, at a minimum distance of 450mm the vent pipe should going to the F & E tank, is the 450mm there? If not, water will go back in the water vessel (maybe) but it will also go up the vent pipe as its an easier route, it must extent 450mm minimum before you can cut the vent pipe in.

What is the measurement?
whats this ? this thread has nothing to do with hot water cylinder

Simon F - I see what you mean about the ports now. We have a 1 x 3 position valve.

The pump seems to be wired to the boiler because the boiler turns off and the pump continues to run for about 5 minutes. The issue of water from the vent pipe only happens for a few seconds once the pump stops.

I think it is just a bounce in the water and as the top of the vent pipe is only 30cm above the water line in the F&E tank a little spills over.

What do you think please?

I'm thinking of getting someone in to raise the vent up.

Thanks all.

Sorry for the delay in replying. The plumber came back today and raised the vent pipe up so that the top of the vent pipe is now 60cm above the top of the F&E tank and about 70cm above the water line. The pipe then comes back down with the open end about 10mm below the top of the tank (but well clear of the waterline).

No water comes from the vent at all now, either at system switch on, while running or at switch off.

Many thanks to all who helped on here. Raising the vent pipe was the way to go!

We've also left the Grundfos pump on the number two setting as the system works well on it (was on three before).

Alex

Is your pump correctly wired? Your boiler might have pump over run build in but if it is incorrectly wired it wont work. Look at installation instructions for pump wiring. Might work to make open vent pipe higher as no pump over run on your boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Expansion vessel undersized, blocked flexi to...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Back