Expansion tank? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion tank? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thedeester1

Hi been moving an airing cupboard into a loft. The system is vented. The problem I have is that because of roof space the vent is no longer long enough and when the system heats up it constantly trickles water back into the F+E tank.

Does anyone know of a tank that can be fitted inline in the vent. It doesn't have to be pressurised just has to Increase the volume that the vent can hold. My local city plumbing drew a blank and suggested I make a coil with benders. If you have ever tried this you will know how difficult it is.

Never mind I came up with 2 solutions. 1 is neater than the other. The first is to cut off the vent and replace it with a coil of plastic pipe which then ends over the F&E tank. The second is to cut about 1 ft out of the 22mm and replace it with 54mm and put a reducer on each end. That should more than double the volume that the expansion vent can take!

The first one is cheapest and no one will see it.

Ermi has your answer, combined feed and expansion, assuming it meets with your boiler manufacturers spec

Never mind I came up with 2 solutions. 1 is neater than the other. The first is to cut off the vent and replace it with a coil of plastic pipe which then ends over the F&E tank. The second is to cut about 1 ft out of the 22mm and replace it with 54mm and put a reducer on each end. That should more than double the volume that the expansion vent can take!

You are aware that this will invalidate your house insurance and could result in serious injury. The coil of plastic is a horrific idea and is no way near being compliant with part g of the building regulations.

Bizarre and ill thought out.

If you go with the first option take a picture and post it up.
I could do with a laff!

That coil of plastic pipe as a vent would be something to add to the 'worst things I have ever seen in plumbing' list.
Clue is in the word "vent" - it needs to vent & not airlock.

That coil of plastic pipe as a vent would be something to add to the 'worst things I have ever seen in plumbing' list.
Clue is in the word "vent" - it needs to vent & not airlock.

Give the boy a chance here Best. Wait until we see it before making assumptions :rofl:

Read this post, closed my eyes while holding the bridge of my nose and breathed out a long sigh.

Get professional help. (Possibly a plumber or heating engineer)

Give the boy a chance here Best. Wait until we see it before making assumptions :rofl:

Alright Tamz, I would like to look around that coil of pipe vent! :rolleyes2: We don't know what it all looks like yet, position of tank etc, or what the system is, so would be good to see the mark1 prototype solution.

I couldn't care less what the rest looks like. I just want to see the 25m (or even better 50m) coil of hep sitting in the loft :smile:

Guess Im not going with the coil then! I Don't see why its such a problem to be honest? Its a vented system so all it does is increase the volume of the shorter vent pipe? I can though see the potential for air locking now I think about it. looks like Ill be making the larger pipe "tank" to increase the volume of water the vent can hold before over flowing!

I couldn't care less what the rest looks like. I just want to see the 25m (or even better 50m) coil of hep sitting in the loft :smile:

It wouldn't be anything like that...LOL the original vent when it was in the bathroom was like 2M now its more like 1M and it dribbles!

Start up that paint program thing that nobody ever uses or do a rough drawing of what the layout of your pipes are and scan and post them up.
Its an easy fix without a coil of plastic if we know what we're looking at.

Btw i might hold you to a pound in a charity box of your choice for the answer :wink:

Do like Ermi says, this is the remnants of pumping over, water expands up the cold feed before it will go over the vent, something is
lifting the water up that 12" between the water level in the tank and the bend on the vent and its not expansion, this is motive power.

Last edited by a moderator:
A vessel/tank or a coil of pipe connected to the expansion vent pipe would do nothing for expansion - the water would have to still expand the same amount up towards the end of vent.
Pumped pipes connected through a vessel would also do nothing unless the feed pipe was also connected to the vessel, but that then creates a vessel that heats with flow through it (like a neutraliser or a thermal store).
If your vent & feed pipes are connected to pumped circuit, then what you have is the expansion tank at moment almost becoming a radiator with the pump being able to over pump up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

OK, but from the boiler it should be Vent then...
Replies
Views
I only open the F&E tank filling valve every...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Well that's probably part of the main issue...
Replies
Views
Back