expansion vessel on central heating | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss expansion vessel on central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are you going to charge this 25 L vessel (& the system) up to then alex ??

P.S. what is the Kw rating of the boiler.

2.5 bar is not normal on an oil boiler when upto temp. Cold fill pressure should be about the 1 bar mark, although some combis/system boilers have an integral pressure switch that cuts off at about .5 bar and won't reset until pressured to 1.5 bar.

Personally I don't like to see the system pressure near or above 2 bar when running at full temp. The expansion vessel will be shot in a crack.

So what are you going to charge this 25 L vessel (& the system) up to then alex ??

P.S. what is the Kw rating of the boiler.

One about this size should cover it if he can find somewhere to put it :wink:

Expansion Vessel.jpg

thanks for all the replies. There is space as its in a utility of its own, so floor standing is not an issue, as if im not mistaken 25lt is the largest wall mounted there is ? system pressure will be between 1 and 1.5bar as normal, shall leave expansion with initial setting , run up and see what the pressure reads, then can adjust accordingly. Taking a reading from a worcester manual, on setting up filling etc, says fill system to 1.5bar, doesnt really state pressures in expansion vessels but reads on to say max pressure whilst up to temp, should not exceed 2.65bar I totally agree that this does not leave much margin for the blow off pressure of 3 bar at the PRV. 2 - 2.25bar is more like what i would expect to see if original pressure was set at 1.5bar on a large ish system. appreciate all the advice and comments on this topic. cheers

thanks for all the replies. There is space as its in a utility of its own, so floor standing is not an issue, as if im not mistaken 25lt is the largest wall mounted there is ? system pressure will be between 1 and 1.5bar as normal, shall leave expansion with initial setting , run up and see what the pressure reads, then can adjust accordingly. Taking a reading from a worcester manual, on setting up filling etc, says fill system to 1.5bar, doesnt really state pressures in expansion vessels but reads on to say max pressure whilst up to temp, should not exceed 2.65bar I totally agree that this does not leave much margin for the blow off pressure of 3 bar at the PRV. 2 - 2.25bar is more like what i would expect to see if original pressure was set at 1.5bar on a large ish system. appreciate all the advice and comments on this topic. cheers
Alex, enough is enough for me on this thread, lots of people on here have tried to push you in the right direction but it is clear you have no understanding at all of what the cold fill pressure of a heating system should be - it is not just 1 to 1.5 bar it is based on the head of water required above the vessel, nor do you understand what the pressure of the gas charge in the vessel should be - again it is not just what the manufactures supply it pre-charged to, it needs to be set to a pressure to support the system head pressure when cold. The pressure settings of both the system & vessel have a dramatic effect on how effective the expansion vessel is & therefore the size required. I don't know where you did your training but if you are going to work on these systems you really do need to understand what is required & how things work.

Alex, enough is enough for me on this thread, lots of people on here have tried to push you in the right direction but it is clear you have no understanding at all of what the cold fill pressure of a heating system should be - it is not just 1 to 1.5 bar it is based on the head of water required above the vessel, nor do you understand what the pressure of the gas charge in the vessel should be - again it is not just what the manufactures supply it pre-charged to, it needs to be set to a pressure to support the system head pressure when cold. The pressure settings of both the system & vessel have a dramatic effect on how effective the expansion vessel is & therefore the size required. I don't know where you did your training but if you are going to work on these systems you really do need to understand what is required & how things work.

OBVIOUSLY NOT THE SAME PLACE AS YOU . Not sure how you read my posts, but what part of I shall run and adjust accordingly doesnt make sense.
As stated a few times by various contributors, most boilers will not operate below say 0.5bar fill pressure, filling the system any higher than 1.5bar would almost certainly see the prv pass by !! the expansion vessel is the main factor as if its sized correctly you would not have to compensate by letting the air out to reduce pressure etc. ! My original post as with all posts on this forum are usually from people (like me) who would like a little friendly advice, not sarcastic comments. I have fully read your posts and appreciate them. im all for a little humour and sometimes the easiest of problems for some poeple just need a little more detail and explanation. sorry if i just seem to be the back street bodger that i presume you think i am !

Chris is a well established contributor of the forum, and is always helpful to new posters, even when many of the rest of us can't be bothered wasting our time. He's tried to help as best he can, but you seem incapable of grasping his advice.

I'd suggest adjusting your attitude.

my attitude ??????? from where do you think i have an attitude. Im the one who was asking for advice, not making sarcastic comments. I have not dissmissed any ones advice, simply asked more in depth. And it doesnt mean that somone who comments on everyones post is always right either. and surely anyone who can read would see i have taken head with advice and said i shall adjust setting / pressures to suit !!!

A working pressure of 2.5 bar is too high, try lowering the pressure and make sure the vessel is isolated from the water supply when you do this. 1 bar cold is plenty and if you have any more than 2 bar hot then youre vessel size is too small. Also whats with the 32mm flow and 22mm return? no value in having different flow and return sizes

A working pressure of 2.5 bar is too high, try lowering the pressure and make sure the vessel is isolated from the water supply when you do this. 1 bar cold is plenty and if you have any more than 2 bar hot then youre vessel size is too small. Also whats with the 32mm flow and 22mm return? no value in having different flow and return sizes

Hi there, thank you for the input. yes its a strange set up, not sure date of 1st installation, boiler is around 15 years old, so mismatch of pipework, also still pipes from an old solid fuel link up, looking again, 28mm flow to downstairs and up then for some reason the return has around 10" of 22m at the boiler. Would be easier to re do the lot, but hey, cant convince them .

But either way it worked for umpteen years so main objective is stop the over pressurization. I still think i will go for the next size tank after doing a few calcs, shall try it at 1 bar fill, like you and others have mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
Back