Expansion vessel pre charge | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion vessel pre charge in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I have a 35litre central heating expansion vessel that has come with a pre charge of 1.5 bar. Does this sound a little heigh? As the pressure in the system will have to rise above 1.5bar for it or absorb any expansion? Thanks

It’s a drip tap so you can’t install expansion vessel as the unit isn’t rated for pressure it’s open vented

what’s broken on the tap ?

That's what's on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228_204942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228_204942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 27
That’s the thing it’s not unvented it’s gravity / equal pressure

the heater isn’t under pressure it’s always open to atmosphere hence when it’s heating the tap will drip most people try and tighten it down more which just breaks them

That’s the thing it’s not unvented it’s gravity / equal pressure

the heater isn’t under pressure it’s always open to atmosphere hence when it’s heating the tap will drip most people try and tighten it down more which just breaks them
Thats what's happened yes. So a pressure relief and expansion valve under the sink won't work on this heater?

Correct as it’s not designed for pressure always open to atmosphere eg like a vented cylinder

I thought a vented tap was for use with a unvented HW heater and should only leak/drip while the water is heating up and could be used in lieu of a expansion vessel but obviously not.

Last edited:
Correct but it’s not unvented if it’s open to atmosphere all the time

open the tap water going into the heater and comes out of the tap at the same time so no pressure in the heater

This is the way its supposed to work.
If the expansion vessel is on the pump suction and near the pump, the pump suction will be at the EV pressure and the pump discharge will be at the EV pressure + the pump head. If the EV is on the pump discharge and near it then the pump discharge will be at the EV pressure and the pump suction will be at the EV pressure - the pump head.
Its recommended the EV is positioned at the pump suction as the whole system will run with a higher average head.

One would think that the pressure should fall by 0.4bar (the pump head) when it stops, can you show a sketch of layout of pump, EV and pressure gauge location?.

This is the way its supposed to work.
If the expansion vessel is on the pump suction and near the pump, the pump suction will be at the EV pressure and the pump discharge will be at the EV pressure + the pump head. If the EV is on the pump discharge and near it then the pump discharge will be at the EV pressure and the pump suction will be at the EV pressure - the pump head.
Its recommended the EV is positioned at the pump suction as the whole system will run with a higher average head.

One would think that the pressure should fall by 0.4bar (the pump head) when it stops, can you show a sketch of layout of pump, EV and pressure gauge location?.
Could the expansion stop it falling by 0.4bar when the pump stops? I will do a sketch.

Can I also ask what happens to the pressure when the pump kicks in as the gauge drops by 0.4bar (ish).
This would indicate that the EV is on the pump discharge and the PG on the pump suction since it drops in pressure but IMO it should rise again by the same 0.4bar once the pump stops irrespective of the static pressure, hot or cold.

This would indicate that the EV is on the pump discharge and the PG on the pump suction since it drops in pressure but IMO it should rise again by the same 0.4bar once the pump stops irrespective of the static pressure, hot or cold.
It doesn't rise again after the pump stops. To does rise after the 0.4bar drop relatively quickly. Just conserned with it dropping on start up that if the system lost abit of pressure. Cold cut the boiler out on start up due to the pressure drop when the pump starts. Thanks.

Boilers cut out pressures are normally 0.5/0.6 bar so depending on where the EV and the boiler and pump are located and if the cold filling pressure is 1.0 bar or lower then it possibly could with a cold system, EVs are generally pre pressurized to 1 bar and filled to 1.5 bar so well away from this.
If the boiler has its own pressure gauge watch this on pump start up and see what the actual pressure is. I would assume that if any boiler trips on low pressure that it will annunciate same and have to be reset to enable boiler restart after system top up.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I think 2.7LPM is the minimum requireed so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes just put a bucket under it to save the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it would have been better to take the feed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Chuck the engineer said I have replace all...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the responses, I'll be on the phone...
Replies
Views
Back