expansion vessel unvented | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss expansion vessel unvented in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the same link that I posted and there is no mention on page 18 of needing to be a member of a competent persons scheme. All that has happened is that vented cylinders have been brought into part G3 of the building regs but the requirement for registration hasn't been expanded. Look at sections 3.40, 3.41 and 3.42

yes I see it now Mike,
I think where I've got confused is where the unvented qualification always seems to be refered to as the g3 qualification.

When using this term "ticket" what I/we are saying, is that the person has attended a training course & passed a test, so can demonstrate a level of competency surrounding the Building Regulations Part G (3) which includes vented, un-vented, control of water temperatures to baths etc, etc.
Without this ability to demonstrate competency you could not join a Competent Persons Scheme & therefore self notify any installation or alterations required under Part G (or any of the others).
You could also not include details (card number) on the Building Notice that your customer will have to submit if you are not a member of a CPS. The work you carried out for them may also not comply with the requirements Reg's as you have not kept up with the changes in the Law.
That's why we need to have CPD as professional engineers, IMHO that is the real purpose of the course.

Sorry Mike but as vented cylinders are now included in G3 they are notifiable as a new installation & as a controlled service & as an appliance that can be commissioned (hence that they have bentchmark cert's on them now) & I am sure there are many more !! (vented cylinders may have to be fitted with any of the items found on un-vented one's e.g. T&P, overheat stats, so the lines are now blurred between them.

"There is no requirement in Part G for anyone installing open vented systems to be part of a competent persons scheme.
The regs only mention the need for a person to be a member of a competent persons scheme in relation to unvented systems."

Of course, wether anybody actually does this is quite a different matter.

Last edited:
I didn't say that they are not notifiable I said that you do not need to be part of a competent persons scheme to fit them.

To be honest I'll only notify a vented cylinder if it's changed along with a boiler. I always notify unvented.

It’s all about safety. A three tier level safety protection should be in place (and the rest). There’s no need to guess. Unvented cylinder can be a bomb. Just get the ticket!
Check out this video:
Water Heater explosion - YouTube

Last edited:
Warranty is 25 years, but only with a record of yearly servicing obviously.
I know the Telford Tempest well, - was at one a few hours ago! The expansion vessel is normally Zimmet I think, & it should have a 3 bar air pre charge, but I would always check it with a pressure gauge before fitting. If the mains pressure is capable of doing the 3 bar max then the expansion vessel should be left at 3 bar or
Just slightly less. I think the e.v. are recommended to be changed every 5 years.
Really need to do a service on the u.v. when you touch anything. The actual pressure at the PRV needs checked, the relief valves need opened & the exp vessel needs air charge done. Also the discharge pipe needs checked in case it is too small etc. Hardly rocket science I know, but worth taking a few minutes.

Is that right that Telford were offering a 25yr warranty 15yrs ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
thanks mate.
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
Vaillant for me but Gledhill are good...
Replies
Views
just about to do that, WORCS bosch say fit...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
Back