Expansion vessel | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Expansion vessel in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FLC

Hi Guys,
The pressure on my central heating is going from 0.5 bar when cold to 2.5 bar when at temperature. after reading a few posts here about the subject it seems related to the expansion vessel, which makes sense. This morning I managed to get to the expansion vessel top up valve and did the recommended test of letting the air out to see if some water comes out. It does! I suppose the diaphragm in the vessel is shoot and I need a new one?
The problem I have, if the vessel needs to be replaced, is that it is right at the back of the boiler and according to the manual I need to remove the boiler of the wall to replace it. I was looking for advice on the best option here. I do have a contract with BG for repair and servicing of the boiler, but because I live in an hard water area I will probably have to pay to replace it. for me to do it is out of the question if I need to remove the boiler from the wall.
The other option that I was looking at is to leave the vessel as it is and fit a new external one, what do you think?

My boiler is a combi Poterton Performa 28.

thanks in advance for any help.
Best Regards
Luis

Last edited by a moderator:
so whats the point of the bg contract, stick the money in a savings account in future, then you have some available to pay the plumber you need to replace your faulty expn vessel. Use a gas registered installer as you are messing with safety devices when working on this system, some may argue here, but additionally if you cock up the insrall and get water all over your pcb it will cost you around £150 in parts alone to replace it. The idea of a robo kit is ok as long as your original shraeder valve is sealed tight.

You are quite right about that, that's exactly what I found, and will not be renewing my contract.
If I could remove the vessel out without dropping the boiler of the wall, I do not see any problem safety wise as I would be replacing like for like. My Shraeder valve seems to be sealing fine hence the external vessel.

Best Regards
Luis

to replace the expn vessel normally you would have to break into the flue and break the gas line both of which require you to be gas safe registered. you could install a robo kit but why not do the job properly and get it done by a professional and that way know what you have left is a propely and safe functioning boiler. diy and boilers is never a good idea and can prove costly in money and rarely but more commonly in lives.

Fit a new external expansion vessel
Then you don't need to touch your boiler

Best way cheaper than the one that came with the boiler as well.

Hi oldplumber,
I understand what you are saying, and as I said, any work I do on my boiler is strictly on parts of it that I see that I can work on safely, I would never touch the gas part of the boiler or the flue. for the rest I am reasonably competent to do my self, but I know my limitations. The problem is always the same, find some trust worthy professional that will not rip you off, I have found it very difficult.

Best Regards
Luis

it is very simple to add an external expansion vessel.
if you are compident at basic plumbing, then you could do it in an afternoon. an 18litre vessel and hanging bracket, 3/4''-22mm compression tap connector, 2 x 22mm compression elbows,(doubt you will have benders to put a 'set' in pipe)22mm compression tee, length of 22mm copper pipe, a few 22mm pipe clips and roll of ptfe tape will do the job.

if after reading that you have ANY doubts, call in a plumber. doesnt need to be gas safe to connect up a vessel to the central heating return pipe.
look in local press, a rule of thumb is that the bigger, bolder and nearest the front of yellow pages the advert is, the bigger, bolder and scarier your bill will be!!
big adverts need big revenue to pay for them!

to all GSR here,i dont see why do you even bother posting to people like FLC ,he knows it all !

Let him get on with it and put his live at risk and his family to ,and once he makes the mess and will cost him 3 times more to put it right or even worst : hope you don't put your family at risk and buy your self a CO alarm ,it cost £20 -i know is a lot to you as you try to cut ALL the corners but if you do cut ALL the corners ,then there will none available to you and you will realised where you have ended up your self running around the O shape garden in prison
without even having any family to come and see you on Sunday !

THINK ABOUT IT !!!

What?? How on earth does the plan to fit an external expansion vessel justify all the doom & gloom from your post?

The OP seems to have a very reasonable view of his abilities and it sounds like he's successfully fault-found on his central heating system and has come here for advice on what to do next.

to all GSR here,i dont see why do you even bother posting to people like FLC ,he knows it all !

Let him get on with it and put his live at risk and his family to ,and once he makes the mess and will cost him 3 times more to put it right or even worst : hope you don't put your family at risk and buy your self a CO alarm ,it cost £20 -i know is a lot to you as you try to cut ALL the corners but if you do cut ALL the corners ,then there will none available to you and you will realised where you have ended up your self running around the O shape garden in prison
without even having any family to come and see you on Sunday !

THINK ABOUT IT !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
this is his first post

"The pressure on my central heating is going from 0.5 bar when cold to 2.5 bar when at temperature. after reading a few posts here about the subject it seems related to the expansion vessel"

is this how he is reasonable to you !!!!!!>>

this is his first post

"The pressure on my central heating is going from 0.5 bar when cold to 2.5 bar when at temperature. after reading a few posts here about the subject it seems related to the expansion vessel"

is this how he is reasonable to you !!!!!!>>

Don't quite understand your point with this:confused:

ive no problem with people who want to do there own work provided they have the ability and dont break any rules regarding safety
what amazes me is how people pay for a service to repair their boiler and calmly accept that bg wont do this repair hard water will have had mininal efffect on your exspansion vessel especialy if its been serviced correctly and inhibitor topped up
id go back to bg and insist they do the work

Think about it !!!

that's exactly the kind of "professional" I keep on finding, this is why I decided to do my own work. you think just because you are registered GasSafe that you have the exclusive knowledge about central heating plumbing and boilers and because of that you are not even willing to listen. Is a good thing that some other people are giving me the advice and the warnings with it. what I have done by looking in this forum, and other info like my own boiler' manual, is called research, maybe you heard of it, and based on that this forum advice and what I know that I can do I will decide what to do. I have a lot of respect for what proper professionals do day in day out, I would not like to do it myself as I know is a hard job sometimes, but people like you deserve no respect, and I bet you are one of the ones that go around screwing people. I get that all the time from BG "engineers".

Luis

ive no problem with people who want to do there own work provided they have the ability and dont break any rules regarding safety
what amazes me is how people pay for a service to repair their boiler and calmly accept that bg wont do this repair hard water will have had mininal efffect on your exspansion vessel especialy if its been serviced correctly and inhibitor topped up
id go back to bg and insist they do the work

Hi Steve,
I have now called BG to come and have a look at it as I prefer to change the boiler's EV. if I have any argument from them I will just tell them to leave and than I will fit the external EV, as I am not willing to take the boiler down from the wall myself. I had this argument before with them and that is why I am terminating the contract with them next renewal time.

Best Regards
Luis

Have they already said that the replacement of the EV is not covered by your contract? That's unreasonable,it's a servicable component of a a boiler,if that's not covered I wonder what is?

Hi BartDude,
This is what I expect from them, I had the experience in previous occasions, but maybe they will prove me wrong... They are coming this afternoon I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks.
Best Regards
Luis

What you pay in annual conracts will pay for the local chap and youd still be quids in.
Keep it local!
If we dont use our local trades men and shops they will go the way of the dodo!

What you pay in annual conracts will pay for the local chap and youd still be quids in.
Keep it local!
If we dont use our local trades men and shops they will go the way of the dodo!

Hi MarkProperJob,
I agree with you, that's why I will be terminating my contract with BG. The problem is always finding someone you can trust to do a good job and will not rip you off. Another problem is availability, if my boiler is faulty I would like it to be looked at as soon as and fixed, if the guy is busy with other jobs I would have to wait and being without hot water and heating in the winter is not fun.
I was given the name of a local guy which in due course I will be giving a try and see how it goes.
Thanks
Best Regards
Luis

Hi,
If you start to use a local chap,are pleasant,offer the obligatory cuppas,and ask to book in with services with a view to regular annual servicing by him, if he has an ounce of business sense he will look after you as a new source of guarenteed income.
I always carry a diary and put a new customers details and dates for future servicing work in front of my customer, as this instills confidence.

Hi,
If you start to use a local chap,are pleasant,offer the obligatory cuppas,and ask to book in with services with a view to regular annual servicing by him, if he has an ounce of business sense he will look after you as a new source of guarenteed income.
I always carry a diary and put a new customers details and dates for future servicing work in front of my customer, as this instills confidence.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
As above 1 bar is more than enough vallants...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
R
thanks mate.
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
just about to do that, WORCS bosch say fit...
Replies
Views
Thank you - and thank you for pointing that...
Replies
Views
Back