External stopcock sheared off, 1" rod then nut exposed, can i turn the nut | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss External stopcock sheared off, 1" rod then nut exposed, can i turn the nut in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the stopcock in question is the one in your boundry line, then it is YOUR property and the water board wont be fixing it for free

Not sure thats true my stopcock is in the middle of next doors drive, so by that reconing does that mean it his resposabilty!!

as I understand it even if the stopcock is inside your boundry, which some are! wessex are still resposable so long as it is your incoming main and not a service stopcock for other sevices. if your are unsure who's responsable for the stopcock, ring wessex and ask them to find your stopcock as you can't/ are unsure where it is, bloke will turn up with a laptop, rumage round the pavement, hedges etc, then cover the offending stopcock cover with blue paint.

hope this is of some help.

For your picture, I assume the water comes in at the right hand side. Undo the nuts on either side of the valve and remove it. If yoiu undo the plastic nut at the far right it may be easier. Replace with a normal stopcock. Gate valves are designed for low pressure systems.

Just because you're now green doesn't mean you don't have to read the thread, WHPES. :smiley2:

Just pay a plumber (decent one) to come in and swap it live. There will be no more than a pint of water splashed about.

are scottish pints bigger than english ones tamz? like country miles being longer.

what you could do is pre-fab a 15mm lever valve joined onto a hose leading out to the drain.

then undo the nut to the gate valve live, pull it off and whack on the lever valve but leave loose.

then while the water is being directed out throw the hose rub the olive over with a bit of wire wool, smear on some paste and then tighten on the new valve.

this would work unless the old olive sits too far from the end of the pipe for the insertion depth of the lever valve. in which case put some grips on it and try and wiggle it forward. if it won't budge, put the gate valve back on and have a cup of tea.

I used to work for a water authority many years ago and I remember the type of street stopcock I think you are describing. It dosn't hava a screw down valve, seat and washer but it is like a larger version of the service valve you see for isolating the water to washing machines etc. ie you only turn it 45 degrees to shut off.( Main difference you can turn it 360 degrees full circle) It has a nut on the bottom that comes loose. You are only supposed to turn it clockwise with a water key 45 degrees for off then a further 45 degrees for on again. If you turn it ANTI clockwise the nut can come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Closing the loop... I replaced the valve body...
Replies
Views
E
Please read the forum rules regarding gas...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
W
We cannot and will not give advice on the...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
A
I would go with your approach Reg Man. Speak...
Replies
Views
easyt
E
T
I have this in my house and it's brilliant
Replies
Views
csmithy
C
Back