f&e on new boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss f&e on new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dusty

hi guys

can anyone give me an answer to this????

we are changing our boiler from a prehistoric oil fired (runs on red diesel would you belive you can imagine the cost) to a warmflow uphe model .
problem !!!

old system is pumped ch gravity hw the f/e tank is conected to the gavity hw side of things thats fine
now then the new system will be fully pumped with two zone valves fine !!
but where do we put the fill and expansion
all the info i can get is somthing like this
boiler---expansion----fill------pump-----rads/hw----return
problem is the pump is built into the boiler so canot put the expansion/fili in between boiler and pump!
also i think that as the new boiler has a high limit stat can use just the one combined fill and expansion in 22 can this go in the flow side just as it leaves the boiler

i am now at at loss so any help or advice would be extreamly helpfull

thanks

dusty

If im understanding you correct, your new CH system is going to be sealed, while your HW will remain gravity?

thanks for reply

its not a sealed system fully vented
fully pumped with 2 zone valves

1-hw
2 ch

just not sure where to put the vent/fill or use combined vent/fill

thanks

dusty

If im understanding you correct, your new CH system is going to be sealed, while your HW will remain gravity?
That's not allowed! Gravity HW systems must be converted to fully pumped if the oiler is replaced.

Dusty

The pump in the boiler is probably the oil pump.

As its an open vented system the existing feed & vent pipes and circulating pump will still be used.

Last edited:
hi

to clarify

the hw will be pumped as will the ch

no gravity system at all

the water pump is in the boiler caseing (it was an option as i dont want an external circulating pump for space reasons)

if the circulating pump were external to the boiler i would not have a problem
as i could fit the vent inbetween boiler flow and pump !

but now i cant so where is the best place and would it be beter to have combined feed and vent !

the boiler has just been deliverd :smile5: ill go open it and have a look

thanks

dust

There may be a connection on the heat exchanger for the feed and expansion pipework, if I remember correctly from fitting one a fair few years back! It might have changed by now though.

The UPHE version of the boiler appears to be used in a sealed system! That's why it has a pressure relief vale and auto air vent.

The USHE version is the UPHE plus a System Kit.

Who specified the boiler - you or the installer? If it was the installer, you need to ask him the question about connecting the feed and vent pipes!!

hi again

reading the blurb on this model it says

quote""Suitable for most types of fully-pumped heating and hot water systems """
"
but i think i may have made a F****p as it also says

"a 'pre-pumped' version of this boiler is available as an option in the Product Options tab. This model includes the advantage of a factory-fitted and wired pump, for an easier conversion to a sealed system."

so in conclustion i should have got this model without the circulating pump

any ideas :confused5:

thanks

dusty

reading the blurb on this model it says

"a 'pre-pumped' version of this boiler is available as an option in the Product Options tab. This model includes the advantage of a factory-fitted and wired pump, for an easier conversion to a sealed system."

so in conclusion i should have got this model without the circulating pump
That answers my question about who specified the boiler!!

I can't see anyone wanting to buy the boiler for an open vent system and later on converting to fully pumped.

any ideas :confused5:
Make it a sealed system. This will require the purchase of the "System Kit".

BUT, you need to have the system tested first to make sure that there are no leaks or dodgy places when the system is under pressure.

If you pipes are well hidden - under concrete floors, behind walls - a sealed system is not a good idea as finding leaks will be a long expensive task.

Lastly, the really bad news! As you specified and purchased the boiler yourself, the installer has no responsibility if the boiler goes wrong. It will be up to you to contact the supplier and arrange for it to be repaired. Any warranty the installer gives will not cover the boiler.

ok
i will think on that one a bit

thanks for all your help

will be back soonish and let you know how its going

wish id known about this forum sooner!!!

again thanks to all for your help

dusty

seal the heating system using the kit it will make filling easier and remove the dirty old f and e tank

seal the heating system using the kit it will make filling easier and remove the dirty old f and e tank

This IMO is the best option, no need to worry about pumping over or pulling air in, the only possible problem is if any heating pipes are burried in concrete floors as the increased pressure can and will cause a burst if the pipework aint protected against the corrosive effects of the cement.

On another note. You cannot run your UPHE boiler on red diesel.

28sec only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Would an open hot water tap / open radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back