Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. | Plumbing Courses | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

I have done the fast track course on my resettlement time & yes it does give you a very basic working knowledge of the industry.

I was a WAFU (M trade) with 26.5 years aircraft engineering experience under my belt but getting to grips with different terminology & heating system operation & wiring is challenging but so rewarding when you sort out a pig of a problem that others have been unable to & restoring heating or water for the less able in our society.

The main thing to get to grips with is the hrs & also the limits of your knowledge.

It is a hard graft out there and the companies promising the earth are talking bollocks.

I used Access training in wales at the time but these are no longer accredited trainers as also are quite a few who did not meet the M.O.D's criteria. (Good trainers but the office management (directors) where very elusive at times when people were disgruntled.

The main issue as everyone mentions is experience, you will be at the bottom of the pile but as long as you are open to hard work and continual learning, (everyday is a school day) then you should be ok.

Do as many manufacturers courses as you can and don't worry about feeling guilty about taking time off work in your last remaining months of service.

Above all don't do anything if you are not 100% happy and always ask questions,

Hope this helps & good luck,

Andy

WAFU mentioning hard graft? well I don't k ow where to start on that lol. I'm a chef by trade so grafting is not an issue. I appreciate the advice shipmate. Thanks for taking the time.

They maybe bud but they ain't paid for and are all mortgaged to the hilt what your proposing is possible but hard graft , we earn a decent living but often it's a 60 hour week and drowning in paperwork but I wouldn't go back to being employed all the best . Kop

Yep as kop says the self employed route is a hell of a lot of work and it is things like the paperwork, quotes, tax returns... That eat up half or your life. Then there's the stress of no holiday pay or sick pay and knowing that getting I'll could throw serious spanner in the works. But could never go back to working for someone.

Yep as kop says the self employed route is a hell of a lot of work and it is things like the paperwork, quotes, tax returns... That eat up half or your life. Then there's the stress of no holiday pay or sick pay and knowing that getting I'll could throw serious spanner in the works. But could never go back to working for someone.

luckily for me I have spent the last 4 years running funds and accounts, asset management and auditing. My wife is also AAT trained and works in finance. The book keeping side and invoicing etc will actually be the easiest part of it for me.

Not bothered about the long days, I've done my fair share of 80+ hour weeks over the years. As long as I get to sleep in my own bed at home I am not bothered. I just don't think I could work 9-5 in a office watching what I say and being bored

Not bothered about the long days, I've done my fair share of 80+ hour weeks over the years. As long as I get to sleep in my own bed at home I am not bothered. I just don't think I could work 9-5 in a office watching what I say and being bored[/QUOTE]
I’ll second that.

What work do you want to do?
Just be aware a fast track course is to teach you how to pass the exams. You then need a way to gain some experience.
You will also need a few grand for tools, van stock and the deposit for that transporter.
He will have done full service mate. He could take a lump Sum out of his pension. Money probably isn’t an issue if I’m honest.

Agree with
@Chalked
However, mate of mine was trying to set up a year or two ago and IIRC most insurers will want a formal nationally recognised qualification if they are going to insure for ANY plumbing work. Might want to check that out. Good luck

What work do you want to do?
Just be aware a fast track course is to teach you how to pass the exams. You then need a way to gain some experience.
You will also need a few grand for tools, van stock and the deposit for that transporter.

As @Harvest Fields says, I get over £40k lump sum when I leave, I don't have to use it to buy a house or anything so it's basically there if I need it, I was thinking along the lines of leasing a van (Depreciating asset head on) and about £10k for everything else. I don't know., I keep second guessing myself... maybe they need locksmiths lol

As @Harvest Fields says, I get over £40k lump sum when I leave, I don't have to use it to buy a house or anything so it's basically there if I need it, I was thinking along the lines of leasing a van (Depreciating asset head on) and about £10k for everything else. I don't know., I keep second guessing myself... maybe they need locksmiths lol
Never second guess yourself mate. The military has taught you that. Go with what you feel. Anything else is just Unacceptable. If you know you can make it work, go for it. To start with, I wouldn’t lease a van. Buy something 5/7 years old incase you hate it in 4 years time. Also in my opinion, Navy/Chef joking aside. 40k is a joke and nowhere nearly enough. Should be 100k.

Never second guess yourself mate. The military has taught you that. Go with what you feel. Anything else is just Unacceptable. If you know you can make it work, go for it. To start with, I wouldn’t lease a van. Buy something 5/7 years old incase you hate it in 4 years time. Also in my opinion, Navy/Chef joking aside. 40k is a joke and nowhere nearly enough. Should be 100k.

The new pension is even worst , 15 years of my pension is reserved on AFP75 but the new one is incremented, so for example, you join the army in 1990 and do 22 and leave as a WO2, you get a WO2 pension, with the new one it works like this... if you are a Pte for 4 years, LCpl for 4 years, Cpl for 4 years, Sgt for 4 years, SSgt for 4 and finish as a WO2 then that's the pension you get 4 years pte rate, 4 years Cpl etc... I could stay in for another 6 and my pension does not improve at all.

The new pension is even worst , 15 years of my pension is reserved on AFP75 but the new one is incremented, so for example, you join the army in 1990 and do 22 and leave as a WO2, you get a WO2 pension, with the new one it works like this... if you are a Pte for 4 years, LCpl for 4 years, Cpl for 4 years, Sgt for 4 years, SSgt for 4 and finish as a WO2 then that's the pension you get 4 years pte rate, 4 years Cpl etc... I could stay in for another 6 and my pension does not improve at all.
Not worth staying the extra 6 really unless you get promoted? Are you a SSgt? I only did 6 years and left as a Lcpl. I’m on AFP75 but I will not get much by the time I’m 65. Is the new one index linked?

Not worth staying the extra 6 really unless you get promoted? Are you a SSgt? I only did 6 years and left as a Lcpl. I’m on AFP75 but I will not get much by the time I’m 65. Is the new one index linked?

I'll be equivalent to SSgt by the time I leave, the pension is around 10k per year after the 40k pay out, it's nothing special but it's a holiday every year if nothing else... not that I'll be able to afford to take time off to go on holiday (got that in before any of you lot do) :):):)

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I am currently in the forces...
Replies
Views
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
As far as I know they've stopped all the short...
Replies
Views
Hello, Can anyone give me some advice on...
Replies
Views
Back