Fire & Back Boiler Ventilation | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fire & Back Boiler Ventilation in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gordon Millar

Recently serviced a Baxi 552 / GF Super combination. Existing ventilation was floor grille which had no permanent connection to outside air. Very little air flow either with grille in position or removed. Unable to see if there was unrestricted path to outside air without lifting floor for inspection. Advised customer this was not sufficient and he happily paid me to core a new 100cm vent straight through the wall direct to outside air. Recently purchased ex local authority home which had been inspected and passed a year ago with existing floor grille.

Any comments on whether I was right or wrong would be appreciated.

unless anything has changed recently a correct size floor vent with sufficent air bricks into the void is legal you cant be expected to lift boards/flooring to assertain a path unless you had good reason to suspect some thing had ben done to change the situation like an exstention covering the air vents

Recently serviced a Baxi 552 / GF Super combination. Existing ventilation was floor grille which had no permanent connection to outside air. Very little air flow either with grille in position or removed. Unable to see if there was unrestricted path to outside air without lifting floor for inspection. Advised customer this was not sufficient and he happily paid me to core a new 100cm vent straight through the wall direct to outside air. Recently purchased ex local authority home which had been inspected and passed a year ago with existing floor grille.

Any comments on whether I was right or wrong would be appreciated.

technically wrong, as a floor vent is allowed and doesnt need to be ducted to outside unless the sub floor is shared with other property or could be subjected to radon gas seeping into the vent, you also need to check that there are sufficient vents on the outside wall, you havent advised us of any of the potential problems so dont know if they are there, you arent likely to get a massive air flow through the vent that doesnt mean there isnt airflow, visual inspection to make sure there is 100cm2 (prob req'd for 552 and fire front) and obviuosly the biggie, HOW WAS THE SPILLAGE TEST?

As said by others, if you could see external vents then that would be enough, as long as it passed tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes sorry, it's open vented fully pumped, not...
Replies
Views
M
I use somewhere with one of these "reliable...
2 3
Replies
Views
D
well what I was put my ID down to was these...
Replies
Views
Mbear
M
Back