First time DIY plumbing | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss First time DIY plumbing in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

S

screech

Hey guys,

I've just decided to take on a little job in my bathroom myself. It's my first time DIY'ing some plumbing, but hey, we all start somewhere?

ive got little a bit of an idea, but would just like a bit of advice if that's alright.

Firstly is the pipes that go from the boiler to the shower, I need to switch them around...

A03B4DCD-B8E5-4369-A305-DCCFE61FC6BD-15027-0000153D00DAAC21.jpg

my plan here is to cut 12" off them both, as there are so many joints in it already its unreal, then replace with polipipe.
What fittings do I need to use? As there's so many different types?!

next I want to tidy up the toilet inlet pipe work.

B7885B76-4EA2-4328-9816-A06897864854-15027-0000153CE719E884.jpg

Again in polipipe, straight down into some new boxing, what fittings do I need to use here?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the helpful reply, and the back up!

the shower pipes need changing around as we identified them the wrong way around when we had the shower done before Christmas!

As for the pictures, they seem to have failed! It won't allow me to upload. I'll sort than on the laptop tomorrow!

and polipipe, why not? Prettying every site I've worked on in the last few years has been installed with it....

cheers

Ok thanks, I shall take that on board, and maybe use a bit of copper where it's seen. But it is all pretty much behind boxing.

Ive finally got the pics up, so hopefully makes sense now.

Cheers

Dear me.

What is that connected to the copper fittings in the top picture? It looks bright red on my screen. I have a useless roll of 16mm red barrier pipe that I got from an underfloor heating job. It's not plastic is it?

The kinked flexi hose on the WC, what do you want to do to that?

BTW - went to two jobs in November where people had royally messed up DIY with plastic pipe....lot's of liberated water, and desperation to get an emergency repair to their mistakes. So think twice before you start cuting pipes up.

i suggest you take a read of the john guest website or hep20 etc just to familirise yourself with the proscess of pushfit. missing an insert could mean a blow off or leak which aint good. we can advise you on fittings etc but the process is the important part.

The red pipes are copper, very strange colour to be painting them! I think that was the colour of the kitchen before it was refitted!

thanks for the pics of the bits, think they are what I was looking at in wickes.

The kinked braided hose in the toilet, I want to lose that completly. It looks so bodged!

As for tools, I've got plastic pipe cutters, copper pipe cutter, grips, saws,spanners, blow torch etc.

hi screech as others have said i would advise use of copper pipe over plastic. I assume you have no experience in soldered joints so would point out you can get copper push fit (never tried it), compression fittings (as in top pic) or if desperate hep 2.0 fittings an be used but are vulgar. May i point out aswell that should the pipe work be on show why not replace with chrome plated copper to the shower. The toilet connection will be covered anyway but if you are worried about cosmetics get a proper plumber out for your shower.

No I've never done soldered joints.

None of the pipe work will be on show. The 2 that go up from the boiler are in the kitchen cupboard behind the back panel, and the toilet will be all new boxing.

So you recommend using the hep fittings, but with copper tube... What's the pros and cons of copper or plastic pipe other than for looks?

,cheers

Maybe buy some end feed and some pipe and have a go first? Ask a mate who is a good DIY'er to help you. This should be pretty straight forward. Fill the kettle before you knock the water off, and flush the cistern before you put on the tap connector. Good luck - post some pics when you have done it

Hey guys,

I've just decided to take on a little job in my bathroom myself. It's my first time DIY'ing some plumbing, but hey, we all start somewhere?

ive got little a bit of an idea, but would just like a bit of advice if that's alright.

Firstly is the pipes that go from the boiler to the shower, I need to switch them around...

A03B4DCD-B8E5-4369-A305-DCCFE61FC6BD-15027-0000153D00DAAC21.jpg

my plan here is to cut 12" off them both, as there are so many joints in it already its unreal, then replace with polipipe.
What fittings do I need to use? As there's so many different types?!

next I want to tidy up the toilet inlet pipe work.

B7885B76-4EA2-4328-9816-A06897864854-15027-0000153CE719E884.jpg

Again in polipipe, straight down into some new boxing, what fittings do I need to use here?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers.
The first picture, don't cut the pipes at equal length, there isn't enough room to get two pushfit fitting side by side, cut one considerably higher than the other.

Second pic, use one of these....
ae235

.......with a bit of copper, then you can connect to it with plastic once it is hidden in the boxing.

Just make sure those two pipes are only supplying the shower and also make sure the cold pipe is flowing away from the boiler, not supplying it, otherwise you'll be forcing water the wrong way through the boiler!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks, bought a couple of those and will give...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey All-- New here as this is something I have...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How much heat do you want to transfer? Here...
Replies
Views
Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Back