First time DIY plumbing | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss First time DIY plumbing in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

S

screech

Hey guys,

I've just decided to take on a little job in my bathroom myself. It's my first time DIY'ing some plumbing, but hey, we all start somewhere?

ive got little a bit of an idea, but would just like a bit of advice if that's alright.

Firstly is the pipes that go from the boiler to the shower, I need to switch them around...

A03B4DCD-B8E5-4369-A305-DCCFE61FC6BD-15027-0000153D00DAAC21.jpg

my plan here is to cut 12" off them both, as there are so many joints in it already its unreal, then replace with polipipe.
What fittings do I need to use? As there's so many different types?!

next I want to tidy up the toilet inlet pipe work.

B7885B76-4EA2-4328-9816-A06897864854-15027-0000153CE719E884.jpg

Again in polipipe, straight down into some new boxing, what fittings do I need to use here?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
mainly bulkiness of plastic fittings over end feed copper (if you use end feed definately practice 1st) if it is hidden then plastic is just as good provided correct usage i.e barrier pipe on heating circuit. plastic pipe is cheaper but fittings more exspensive than end feed copper.

Second pic, use one of these....
ae235

.......with a bit of copper, then you can connect to it with plastic once it is hidden in the boxing.

I have to say I disagree for a total novice to use this fitting. It's compression which is harder to use than pushfit.

If he's gonna use compression, then at least watch some videos' on Youtube. It may be basic for us, but for a novice it can go badly wrong.

For instance, if he screws it on to the plastic inlet of the filler valve, and then over tightens/cross threads it.

There are loads of threads on this and other forums just like this:Capture2.JPG

The pushfit one I showed at the start is easier for a novice.

Last edited:
I should add RICKY that I 100% agree that the compression fitting is the better way to do it. Just not for someone who's a total novice. But like I said, I don't think total novices should attempt plumbing on their own anyway.

I agree with Danny. The JG pushfit he showed earlier is a lot easier to use on a plastic thread, much less chance of cross threading. Then use a separate isolating valve. JG do a very nice looking chrome pushfit one.

If the pipework is hidden there is nothing wrong with using plastic pipe . .. .

I would personally using John Guest Speedfit for the whole lot - this is available from B & Q (bit pricey though!).

You can use a standard JG coupling to joint to copper - not if it is painted however. You would need to remove the paint 100% or use a compression fitting.

Superseal inserts to be used on all JG joints (use a standard one on compression joint). Plus as stated above you can get a JG tap connector as well which would work with the toilet too . ..

The pipe must be cut properly - I use a JG pipe slice to do this. Do not just use any cutter here. Insert to be used on every joint and ensure that the pipe is pushed fully into the coupling.

Other than that it is fairly simple!

Guidellines can be found here - http://www.johnguest.com/Home/literature-downloads/UK-Literature/UK-A4-product-Guide-0311.aspx

See page 6 for jointing.

If you use correct procedures they give a 25 year guarantee on the fittings - you dont get that with copper pipe I can tell you!

Hope this helps in the spirit of the forum . . . .

Good advice from avatar. If the work is all to be hidden there is no problem with using plastic provided you make absolutely certain that all joints are made correctly and inserts are used. The only thing I would add is to take your time and think through each step. It is so easy to make a costly mistake if you are rushing because somebody needs a shower or whatever.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks, bought a couple of those and will give...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey All-- New here as this is something I have...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How much heat do you want to transfer? Here...
Replies
Views
Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Back