Fitting a secondary gas ECV to old pipework | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting a secondary gas ECV to old pipework in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep there rated for gas (need to buy the gas ones tho not the water ones)

And few places stock them (no big sizes) normal run of your mill 3/4 1" etc

Bss, fwb, tecra, bes should be in stock

You will find not many people know about them / able / skilled enough to do the job

There looks enough room (prob tight but still workable)

Hello again Shaun,

I have been busy since we last corresponded on this thread so I could not follow up until now:

I have looked at the GF Primofit range of Iron Compression Gas fittings and unfortunately for the OP / reubs007 the range does not include any fitting to go from the existing Black Iron to Copper.

For example 3/4" Iron Compression x 3/4" Female Iron connectors [x 2]- to which 3/4" MIC`s could have been added - plus a section of 22mm Copper pipe and the 22mm ECV & Test point or plus a Test point coupling.

The range does not include any Gas Valves / ECV`s or Test point fittings.

As You probably know the GF Primofit range was designed to be able to run Gas pipework in Blocks of Flats / other Buildings without welding having to be done and basically the fittings range has just enough types to run pipework TO a Gas Meter which would then be piped up in the normal way with the Regulator / ECV etc.

I thought that I should post this information for reubs007 so that He would not be trying to find a Gas Engineer to carry out the work using only GF Primofit fittings.

Chris

Last edited:
Hello again Shaun,

I have been busy since we last corresponded on this thread so I could not follow up until now:

I have looked at the GF Primofit range of Iron Compression Gas fittings and unfortunately for the OP / reubs007 the range does not include any fitting to go from the existing Black Iron to Copper.

For example 3/4" Iron Compression x 3/4" Female Iron connectors [x 2]- to which 3/4" MIC`s could have been added - plus a section of 22mm Copper pipe and the 22mm ECV & Test point or plus a Test point coupling.

The range does not include any Gas Valves / ECV`s or Test point fittings.

As You probably know the GF Primofit range was designed to be able to run Gas pipework in Blocks of Flats / other Buildings without welding having to be done and basically the fittings range has just enough types to run pipework TO a Gas Meter which would then be piped up in the normal way with the Regulator / ECV etc.

I thought that I should post this information for reubs007 so that He would not be trying to find a Gas Engineer to carry out the work using only GF Primofit fittings.

Chris

he would tho, also who said anything about doing in copper?

2 gas coupling (with one as a slip) f+f lever valve (yellow) a black t a x to 1/8th bush, 1/8th test nipple and a two foot piece of pipe

guess your a normal plumber / domestic gas engy?????????

Last edited:
he would tho, also who said anything about doing in copper?

2 gas coupling (with one as a slip) f+f lever valve (yellow) a black t a x to 1/8th bush and a two foot piece of pipe

guess your a normal plumber / domestic gas engy?????????

Shaun,

When You posted originally about Gas Iron Compression fittings you commented about no threading or copper work need be involved - the ONLY Gas Primofit 3/4" Iron x Iron compression fittings that are available are Couplings / Connectors - Tees and Elbows.

Most of the fitting that you have just listed are NOT available in Primofit - including the ECV and Tee to take a bush and Test nipple.

Without threading pieces of 3/4" Iron pipe to go between the 3/4" Iron Compression connectors and the ECV & Test point and now knowing that the Primofit fittings are very limited in the range how are You suggesting that this is done ?

Why would You be sarcastic about Me being a `normal Plumber / Domestic Gas Engineer` - what kind of Plumber are You ?

In my lifetime as a Plumber / Heating Engineer / Gas Engineer / Building Services Engineer [MSc.] I have done about 40% Non Domestic / Commercial / Industrial Plumbing & Heating work - the other 60% being 30% complete Heating, Plumbing & Gas systems in `High Class` Refurbishment Contracts and the rest `ordinary` Domestic Plumbing, Heating & Gas.

Before the separation of the Gas ACS into Domestic and Non Domestic I had most of the ACOPS categories - Domestic & Commercial and Catering Equipment plus LPG with the exception of sections that I would have never worked on.

At that time I worked on Contracts where I did a lot of Iron pipework.

Achieving almost all of the Gas ACOPS took a lot of knowledge and a lot of Money - when the ACS were introduced there were many more categories of assessments and they added up to far too much money for me to justify taking the Non Domestic ACS - so I became a `Domestic Gas Engineer`.

Chris

Last edited:
Shaun,

When You posted originally about Gas Iron Compression fittings you commented about no threading or copper work need be involved - the ONLY Gas Primofit 3/4" Iron x Iron compression fittings that are available are Couplings / Connectors - Tees and Elbows.

Without threading pieces of 3/4" Iron pipe to go between the 3/4" Iron Compression connectors and the ECV & Test point and now knowing that the Primofit fittings are very limited in the range how are You suggesting that this is done ?

Why would You be sarcastic about Me being a `normal Plumber / Domestic Gas Engineer` - what kind of Plumber are You ?

In my lifetime as a Plumber / Heating Engineer / Gas Engineer / Building Services Engineer [MSc.] I have done about 40% Non Domestic / Commercial / Industrial Plumbing & Heating work - the other 60% being 30% complete Heating, Plumbing & Gas systems in `High Class` Refurbishment Contracts and the rest `ordinary Domestic Plumbing, Heating & Gas.

Before the separation of the Gas ACS into Domestic and Non Domestic I had most of the ACOPS categories - Domestic & Commercial and Catering Equipment plus LPG with the exception of sections that I would have never worked on.

At that time I worked on Contracts where I did a lot of Iron pipework.

Achieving almost all of the Gas ACOPS took a lot of knowledge and a lot of Money - when the ACS were introduced there were many more categories of assessments and they added up to far too much money for me to justify taking the Non Domestic ACS - so I became a `Domestic Gas Engineer`.

Chris

so you know you can get nipples anywhere from 2-24"

you have a few options

http://www.gfps.com/appgate/ecat/common_flow/100006/FIT/en/109697/109707/109723/109726/overview.html

into a f+f valve and then just a normal coupling after the t about with these between

BLACK MEDIUM STEEL PIPE - 1/2" To 2" - BS1387 (EN10255) - INDUSTRIAL - B.S.P THREADED BOTH ENDS

and just cut the thread off the end for the coupling

Shaun,

When I looked at the GF Primofit range for some reason the 3/4" Iron compression x 3/4" Male Iron adaptor was either not in the section that I was looking at or I missed it - despite looking for that exact fitting !

It was only because I could not find that fitting or anything similar [e.g. female iron] that I wrote my first message to you tonight.

I apologise - I wrote in good faith - although surprised about not finding that type of fitting.

Your comment about me obviously being a `normal Plumber / Domestic Gas Engineer` was still unnecessarily sarcastic.

Chris

Last edited:
Shaun,

The fittings that You gave the link to are NOT Iron x Iron Compression Gas fittings .

IF the Primofit GAS Compression fittings had some of those in the range what You suggested would be possible - BUT - they are NOT available in the GAS Primofit range.

Chris

all of these are available for gas

http://www.gfps.com/appgate/ecat/common_flow/100006/FIT/en/109697/109707/109723/index.html

as its just a different seal (NBR)

pg 23

http://www.bpindex.co.uk/res/pdfs/b5433c6de0b213.pdf

Last edited:

Hello Shaun,

Thanks for the links to the Catalogue etc.

I had previously thought that the Gas Primofit fittings were made from Carbon steel as I had read a few years ago that they were tested / rated to be able to survive very high temperatures in the event of a fire - although to be used on mild steel pipe I thought that the carbon steel aspect was to prevent the fitting deforming and causing the seal to be broken.

As You probably know they were developed for use on Gas to enable Gas pipework to be installed in Blocks of Flats / other high rise buildings without welding being required.

It was because of that `Carbon steel` specification that I was not really surprised when I seemed to have found that there was not a full range of fittings types.

I was not aware that because the Gas fittings are seemingly NOT Carbon steel - the entire range is available for use on Gas with the Fire safe seals - although I do note that there is a `Do Not` instruction regarding taking the fittings apart before installation.

Thanks again for the information - although I am unlikely to ever be using Primofit fittings I like to know the correct situation / specification about any Gas, Plumbing or Heating fittings.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Even if you did move the meter to the "vacant"...
Replies
Views
you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
N
Thank you all. The wording was ambiguous in...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
Need to contact the gas networks as the supply...
Replies
Views
Back