Fitting an outside tap | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Fitting an outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eskimo39

Hi guys, I am actually an electrician member over at Dan's other forum. I was just wondering if someone could answer me a quick question?

I want an outside tap in the back garden to use with a Karcher pressure washer so called a local plumber who came around to give me a quote. I have a washing machine on the same wall as I wanted the tap so assumed he would just cut into the pipe which goes horizontally across the back of the cupboards at the height I want the tap on the outside, put in a 'T' section and then drill a 15mm pipe outside. However he said he won't bother cutting as he can just get a kit which screws onto the washing machine end tap and converts that into a 'T' and then just extend that outside.

Is this as good as cutting into an existing pipe or is it just a quick fix?

Also if that was the case I think I would be able to manage screwing a 'T' section onto a threaded pipe and running it outside.

What do you think? Cheers

The seal perish after a while. Crap set-up.
You'd need to drill a 22mm hole to sleeve the pipe and mastic it. You need isolation, double check valve and a drain cock fitted outside if you're having exposed pipework so it can be isolated and drained down come Winter. Alternatively you can get a kit that has the tap and pipe connected to a circular backplate that feeds directly through the wall.
The 'plumber' is a fraud. The word 'Plumber' is a loosely used term nowadays. Be informd

Thats a DIY option, you need a double check valve and an isolation valve as well.

Wecome to the forum eskimo

Some garden taps come with double check valves installed but they are now outlawed and the preferred installation is to have seperate DCV inside the property

Cheers guys, I was worried that this seemed a very basic fitting option. If a customer asked me for an outside light I most certainly wouldn't just fit a plug to a flex and drill it outside.

So would a 'T' section fitted inline with the washing machine cold feed (with the extra leg going downwards) then to an double check valve and then through the wall (in a 22mm hole, cheers Kimou) with the tap backing directly onto it be a better solution?

Yep as above a proper plumber wouldnt use these DIY kits surely.

yes, tee into 15mm pipe with a compression tee and fit a isolater, double check and then through the wall(22mm hole, 22mm sleave) to a wall plate elbow and fit tap to wall plate.... done.

............as the pipe comes through the wall I like a soldered tee with drain cock in bottom and then pipe up to backplate elbow.

i personally never use the backplates with the pipe attached to em.
i find that having drilled the 22mm hole for the sleeving that trying to drill for the backplate fixings the brick will crumble as sds has weakened it. therefore i elbow from the hole and then use a seperate backplate

KJ

I know what you mean. If you drill a pilot first, say 8mm, then go in from both sides. If it does crumble then usually you can just drill at an angle. They save a bit of time and look much neater. I like them

i personally never use the backplates with the pipe attached to em.
i find that having drilled the 22mm hole for the sleeving that trying to drill for the backplate fixings the brick will crumble as sds has weakened it. therefore i elbow from the hole and then use a seperate backplate

KJ

I have a backplate with the pipe removed just Mark screw holes first then drill for the 3 screws them drill a hole for the tube then there no problem with the block/bricks crumbling

I'm trying to remember them it's been ages since I fitted the like. But isn't the pipe brazed onto the brass?

If a customer asked me for an outside light I most certainly wouldn't just fit a plug to a flex and drill it outside.

And what's wrong with that? :crazy:

So would a 'T' section fitted inline with the washing machine cold feed (with the extra leg going downwards) then to an double check valve and then through the wall (in a 22mm hole, cheers Kimou) with the tap backing directly onto it be a better solution?

How you run it is entirely up to you. I'm just stating regs and best practise. Don't forget to sleeve it with 22mm tube And try to avoid DPC. If you penetrate DPC then you must use something to seal inside the length of bore hole.

If you use a self cutting valve on 15mm pipe, you can damage your pressure washer! The hole that these valves make is not 15mm and about 10mm and is below the minimum recomendations of all the major manufacturers of pressure washers.

All installations that are to be used with a pressure washer must have the following:
1) A proper full bore tee piece connection with 15mm minimum pipe work
2) A isolating valve inside the building to turn the tap off in the cold weather and a drain valve under the tap to drain the water
3) A double check valve or tap with this built in to prevent back siphonage of foul water back into the mains
4) A sleeve through the wall to contain the pipework
5) Brass or stainless steel screws to fix it

The diy kit consists of a self cutting valve, a washing machine hose and jubilee clip connected to the tap supposed to withstand mains pressure. The hose will not withstand UV light outside from the sun and becomes brittle and eventually cracks.
Mate, get a real plumber in and do it right first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
............as the pipe comes through the wall I like a soldered tee with drain cock in bottom and then pipe up to backplate elbow.
Why do you need to fit a drain cock? When you've isolated the tap just open it and water will fall out if you come out the wall and go horizontal or downwards into backplate elbow. Seems unnecessary to me.

Drain cocks on everything as a rule of thumb. It may have reasons to do with water left in pipe that can't completely come out through tap cz of its design. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big problem if it wasn't installed. I do them anyway to keep in line. Takes 2 mins on install time and defines professionalism.

A drain cock is used to empty any water remaining in the pipework and fitted lower than the supply pipe. The tap doesn't completely drain water out of the pipework. A drain cock is good practice and is a professional finish. Such small things define a tradesman over a diy'er.

surely easier just to use the tap as the drain off in winter months?
run the pipe downwards!!!!

I see where you're coming from guys but I still think its unnecessary IMHO. You don't need to get every last drop of water out anyway. In fact in my experience no one ever isolates their outside tap come winter anyway despite me telling them to when I fit it. TBH even I don't in my own house and never had a problem. As long as you keep the exposed pipework to a minimum ie an inch or two IMHO

blimey cant believe so many posts regarding an outside tap, making it as complicated as an unvented cylinder with solar plus secondary return ,,,,jeez!!

When I was subbing for Dyno I had at least 3 a day in the extreme cold. Insulated and uninsulated alike.
Regs are regs and fall guys are sorry.

A drain cock is used to empty any water remaining in the pipework and fitted lower than the supply pipe. The tap doesn't completely drain water out of the pipework. A drain cock is good practice and is a professional finish. Such small things define a tradesman over a diy'er.

Yea right lol let's not be ott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Why is it outside? It will freeze and the...
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any thoughts on this bottle gully arrangement?
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
There is no picture with your post but in my...
Replies
Views
Back