Flame failure Baxi 105e combi | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flame failure Baxi 105e combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahides

Hi all I have a flame failure problem on my Baxi 105e approx 7 years old.

A few days ago we started getting intermittent hot water which then stopped completely, 30 degree neon flashing indicating flame failure, turned reset switch and fan would come on and try to light burners but would cut out almost immediately briefly lighting the 80 degree neon and start 30 degree neon flashing again. Same thing happened on CH demand.

Replaced both CH and DHW temp sensors, (DHW showed signs of limescale), cleaned diverter valve and inspected DHW pressure differential diaphragm, this was ok but getting weep out of push rod nut at front. Cleaned out cold water inlet filter and reassembled.

When I reassembled I noticed some moisture around the on/off reset switch, dismantled the switch and thoroughly cleaned and dried.

From switch on I immediately got the same fault (30 degree neon flashing) however now when the reset is turned the boiler fires up and works perfectly on both CH and DHW demand but the fault reappears if I let the boiler stand for a period of time, again I turn the reset and it works perfectly.

Also on DHW demand pressure gauge jumps up approx 0.5 bar? Don't know if this is even a problem or if it is a problem is it related to the above, or a completely different fault?

Any help appreciated

Lol thats a no then... Hes opening up boilers without his gas therefore BREAKING THE LAW and endangering others.

Theres quite a few that do this and they always only have 1 post (this one)

Get yourself someone who knows a bit about boiler repairs ahides :) Guessing at something that has nothing to do with the issue just costs you money IMHO :) Flame failure could indicate something simple or potentially dangerous hence the reason why the boiler is shutting down.

Get diamondgas in! Hes awsum at boiler repairs! I dont like it, my patience wears thin! Prefer installation

Lol thats a no then... Hes opening up boilers without his gas therefore BREAKING THE LAW and endangering others.

Theres quite a few that do this and they always only have 1 post (this one)

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, I spent 20 years as a kiln engineer, and I don't wish to appear rude but the type of gas equipment I worked on makes your daily bread and butter boilers seem trivial in comparison. Insofar as breaking the law goes if you were as clever as you claim to be you would know that repairing and replacing of water carrying components and electrical components can be carried out by other competent personnel, which I am having worked on electrical systems for many years.

You should also know that for the last 15 years I have been a NEBOSH qualified Health Safety and Environmental Advisor and am fully versed in the law and legislation pertaining to this and a host of things I am guessing you would not have a clue about, nothing in my thread mentions anything about working on any gas part nor opening the combustion chamber.

I had hoped that someone more knowledgable than me about this type of boiler would give me an indication of what was wrong to enable me to decide whether to call in a repair or just have a new one fitted, I didn't expect the self appointed "Boiler Police" to take a cheap jibe at me.

If there is anyone who can let me have their wisdom I would still be happy to hear, if not I shall bid you all good day

Regards

Get diamondgas in! Hes awsum at boiler repairs! I dont like it, my patience wears thin! Prefer installation

I wouldn't go as far as "awesome!" lol ... I honestly believe I've forgotten more than I know!!! :)

Lol its ok diamondgas, thats the best way. As for this guys claims, where did i state i have loads of knowledge? Baxi 105's have loads of faults, just replace it especially if its 7year old, wont have much life left... Think what you like dude :) what area are you in uk? Maybe someone in this forum can help you out thats close?

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, I spent 20 years as a kiln engineer, and I don't wish to appear rude but the type of gas equipment I worked on makes your daily bread and butter boilers seem trivial in comparison. Insofar as breaking the law goes if you were as clever as you claim to be you would know that repairing and replacing of water carrying components and electrical components can be carried out by other competent personnel, which I am having worked on electrical systems for many years.

You should also know that for the last 15 years I have been a NEBOSH qualified Health Safety and Environmental Advisor and am fully versed in the law and legislation pertaining to this and a host of things I am guessing you would not have a clue about, nothing in my thread mentions anything about working on any gas part nor opening the combustion chamber.

I had hoped that someone more knowledgable than me about this type of boiler would give me an indication of what was wrong to enable me to decide whether to call in a repair or just have a new one fitted, I didn't expect the self appointed "Boiler Police" to take a cheap jibe at me.

If there is anyone who can let me have their wisdom I would still be happy to hear, if not I shall bid you all good day

Regards

So you know a bit about stuff but know also when to turn to the pro's when you're not sure yeh? This site gets pounded by less knowledgeable folk alas who can access open forums such as this! Professionally I try to limit my sharing because of the potential implications should someone less able be reading this! I hope that makes sense?

Flame failure issues can arise from simple aeration to more complex visciation, electronic detection or earthing issues! Honestly I'd get some one in or better still on to an annual contract with one of the bigger fish who can come out and swap willey/nilley parts to get to the bottom of intermittent faults :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the phrase i dont wish to appear rude is used by rude people who dont wish to be completly honest i could being a trivial bread and butter boiler fixer offer some advice but my humble suggestions would not be worthy of your exaldated consideration the trival await your stinging reposte with quaking knees

the phrase i dont wish to appear rude is used by rude people who dont wish to be completly honest i could being a trivial bread and butter boiler fixer offer some advice but my humble suggestions would not be worthy of your exaldated consideration the trival await your stinging reposte with quaking knees

Sometimes the phrase "I don't wish to be rude" is made by people who really don't want to be rude but perhaps have been a little upset by someone's smart, uneducated, and unnecessary comments, having started my working life sweeping the fabrication shop floor I have no airs and graces about myself I assure you. I may have been guilty of responding whilst annoyed and if I have upset anyone else with that I apologise it was not directed at anyone else, I value anyone who has anything positive to offer.

So you know a bit about stuff but know also when to turn to the pro's when you're not sure yeh? This site gets pounded by less knowledgeable folk alas who can access open forums such as this! Professionally I try to limit my sharing because of the potential implications should someone less able be reading this! I hope that makes sense?

Flame failure issues can arise from simple aeration to more complex visciation, electronic detection or earthing issues! Honestly I'd get some one in or better still on to an annual contract with one of the bigger fish who can come out and swap willey/nilley parts to get to the bottom of intermittent faults :)

Diamondgas, Thanks for the advice, you are right, one of the points I try to get across to people in my training courses is that competence is not about knowing everything, its about knowing when you need to ask, your comment makes perfect sense, i will probably go for a new boiler, maybe an Ideal Logic they are offering 7 years at the mo I understand? any advice welcome

it was good of you to reply honestly and i too apologise sarcasm isnt attractive no matter whose doing it but weve always been very friendly towards each other on here and when someone appears condesending we close ranks not pretty but it comes of appriciating each others knowoledge of boilers

Diamondgas, Thanks for the advice, you are right, one of the points I try to get across to people in my training courses is that competence is not about knowing everything, its about knowing when you need to ask, your comment makes perfect sense, i will probably go for a new boiler, maybe an Ideal Logic they are offering 7 years at the mo I understand? any advice welcome

Just installing a logic+ heat only into my own home ahides :) The warranty is what attracts me because whatever you purchase is likely to go wrong! 7 yrs isn't a bad guarantee in my opinion and a lot less expensive than those who's rely on past reputations!!! ... Time will tell to be honest :)

By the way, buy the 30+ as the 24+ is not worth it unless your water supply is pizz poor :)

get the 105e repaired they are superior compared to a logic,i am not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of you trying to repair your own boiler but as i am sure your aware you cant touch the gas or flueing side of things,my advice to you would be either find a competent engineer to sort out your issues,or get a one off repair done with heat team baxis own personnel,you will regret having a ideal IMHO the 105 is the best combi ever produced

Time will tell Mark, your thoughts towards Ideal may change.....? :) ... I agree the 105e are relatively trouble free and a good boiler :)

I'm going to comment on the rights and wrongs of him trying to repair his own boiler. It's arrogant to come on here asking advise on a gas appliance, and then jump all over someone who points out it that it would be sensible if you were to use a qualified, COMPETANT, and 'Gas Safe' Registered engineer.

You may have done lots of wonderful work as a kiln engineer, but if that doesn't directly relate to a modern, domestic boiler - then frankly it isn't worth a fart.

The fact that you have spent the last 15 years as a health and safety advisor (and not working on gas appliances) proves to me one thing.....that the regard the general consensus hold of 'health and safety advisors' is well placed.

Now I will bid you a 'good day'.

get the 105e repaired they are superior compared to a logic,i am not going to comment on the rights and wrongs of you trying to repair your own boiler but as i am sure your aware you cant touch the gas or flueing side of things,my advice to you would be either find a competent engineer to sort out your issues,or get a one off repair done with heat team baxis own personnel,you will regret having a ideal IMHO the 105 is the best combi ever produced

Gasman thanks for your opinion, wow you're the first person I have heard extolling the virtues of the Baxi, happy to hear it, are you on commission :). BTW no intention of touching gas side. Thanks again

I'm going to comment on the rights and wrongs of him trying to repair his own boiler. It's arrogant to come on here asking advise on a gas appliance, and then jump all over someone who points out it that it would be sensible if you were to use a qualified, COMPETANT, and 'Gas Safe' Registered engineer.

You may have done lots of wonderful work as a kiln engineer, but if that doesn't directly relate to a modern, domestic boiler - then frankly it isn't worth a fart.

The fact that you have spent the last 15 years as a health and safety advisor (and not working on gas appliances) proves to me one thing.....that the regard the general consensus hold of 'health and safety advisors' is well placed.

Now I will bid you a 'good day'.

Did you forget you agreed to be nice too???

I'm actually a fan of the Baxi 105e aswell (when they work). Nice simple set-up, easy to work on (expansion vessel excluded) and most importantly a decent bloody drain off valve!!

Excuse me?

"then frankly it isn't worth a fart"

"that the regard the general consensus hold of 'health and safety advisors' is well placed"

Call me a bluff old traditionalist but those comments don't seem to be that "nice" nor do they add any value to what is being discussed here.

Koogatubac may be your mate for all I know but the fact his comments got deleted should tell you something

Please if you have anything of value to add I am happy to hear it

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

(cont'd) Anyway, fairly keen for someone to...
Replies
Views
faulty diaphram with the sound of it.
Replies
Views
Chris, just to update, thanks for all your...
Replies
Views
Conditions: nearly 10 year old boiler WB2B...
Replies
Views
Also check the little 4-6mm pigs tail tube
Replies
Views
Back