Flue close to non - opening window | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue close to non - opening window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not interpreting the situation or challenging any ones views. I have just given factual historic information about an incident which occurred when an installer fitted a flue close to an opening which they sealed and a window company changed the window for an opener latter as it was a bathroom. The original gas engineer got done for it. Fact, distances, sealing it up, what happened there after did not help their defence.

The difference is that they sealed an opening window, the op and I are talking about a factory made non opening window, which to the regs you have to be 150mm from the change in fabric to the edge of your flue

Part of a report in Cornwall news.

"There is no dispute that carbon monoxide poisoning caused the death of Mr Jackson."
Mr Fitton said Mingo told a colleague to hammer two two-inch nails through the bathroom window when the pipe was installed in 2005, preventing it from opening as a solution to stop carbon monoxide being pumped into the room.
According to one of Mingo's colleagues, the defendant was "making his instructions up as he went along".
Hodge, said Mr Fitton, later agreed the boiler safe for use.
Mr Fitton added: "There is no documentation that Mr Mingo or Mr Hodge told the hotel of what they had done or the necessity of doing it."
Subsequently, when the hotel replaced its windows during a refurbishment in 2007, the new window could be fully opened.

Read more: Hotel death, faulty boiler | manslaughter charges | Jonathan Mingo & Phillip Hodge | Great Western Hotel, Newquay | Frederick Jackson death | Western Morning News | This is Cornwall
They were found guilty. So by precedent of the law, it must be illegal.

I am with you Reg. These installers believe they complied with the gas regs.
Later the window was replaced with an openable one.
Hotel guest died and Gas engineers found guilty of manslaughter, one was fined £2k the other £5k.

Based on what was reported on the news it always seemed a miscarriage of justice to Mr TP and I. Although the news is not always accurate.

It seems the installers should have told the Hotel owner that that window must never be openable... and perhaps they should have sent regular reminders in case the hotl owners sold the hotel and forgot to pass the message on to future owners.

I know of the case, but not all the facts, could have been the way they sealed the window, or didn't notify anyone of the change, not sure, but I know if I do something properly and the next person changes the building I won't be to blame, eg OF boiler in kitchen vented to outside till they build a conservatory, or cooker in kitchen with openable window to outside till they build extension and make window internal, how on earth can that ever be my fault, so there must be something in the way they did it,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Exactly it's our opinions but that opinion...
Replies
Views
Hi, thank you for the reply. It's confusing...
Replies
Views
I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
as he says its from an openable window
Replies
Views
Back