Flue flow and spillage test | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flue flow and spillage test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
before i put in a smoke bomb in i waft a spillage match around to see if it pulling. cant beat filling a front room up with smoke.
and you also stick the gas lamp in for 10 mins to warm it up a cold flue wont pull

I'm just reading the manual for a flue flow and spillage test for a focal point fire lulworth DFE that i'll doing next weekend. the MI does not specify that a flue flow test needs to be done but does state a spillage test is to be carried during annual servicing.

as far as i know that flue flow test is equally as important as a spillage test...is this correct?

That's why you should never rely on reading the Mi's in isolation, as other normative documents need to be considered as well.

I can't imagine MI's don't mention flue flow test in accordance with BS5400-1, are you sure nothing is mentioned about checking/confirming flue?

I can't imagine MI's don't mention flue flow test in accordance with BS5400-1, are you sure nothing is mentioned about checking/confirming flue?

they probably assume the installer is competent and registerd, but if i was selling my fires in B and Q id be giving free coffins with every fire LOL.

The MI's mention the installer must be qualified and fire installed in line with GSIUR.
Enough said!

Lots of mi have a page at start with list of all the standards required. Some of the mi are written by the china man that made the fire tho!

Tbh i cant remember any fire mi's telling me do a flow test. its just normally is flue compatible and sound. suppose that test is a given..

I think you mean BS5440 part 1, BS5400 refers to steel and concrete bridges. Its all very well the MI's referring you to British Standards, but unlike the old old Gas scheme most engineers don't have BS's to refer too. So they are all reliant on other trade literature and ACS.

I think you mean BS5440 part 1, BS5400 refers to steel and concrete bridges. Its all very well the MI's referring you to British Standards, but unlike the old old Gas scheme most engineers don't have BS's to refer too. So they are all reliant on other trade literature and ACS.

Yes just a typo,
MI's have a list of BS's at the front that should be complied with so I'm sure BS5440-1 & 2 will be listed, anyone competent to fit a fire must know a flue flow test must be done to confirm flue integrity, so doesn't really matter if it doesn't specifically Tell us to do it

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh i cant remember any fire mi's telling me do a flow test. its just normally is flue compatible and sound. suppose that test is a given..
As I mentioned above:
At start of MI's it will state must be installed by a competent installer in line with the GSIUR and building regs etc.
Read MI's people!

the MI does not specify that a flue flow test needs to be done but does state a spillage test is to be carried during annual servicing.

as far as i know that flue flow test is equally as important as a spillage test...is this correct?

Have another look:

SERVICING
9. Check the flue with smoke pellet for correct operation.

That smoke pen looks really good :) im gonna have to get me one

From memory; a smoke pellet must give off 5m3 of smoke for at least 30 seconds, therefore giving off enough to let you make a decision on the integrity of the flue.

From memory; a smoke pellet must give off 5m3 of smoke for at least 30 seconds, therefore giving off enough to let you make a decision on the integrity of the flue.[/QUOTE

I get the 45 sec ones now i am getting old and t takes me longer to put my boots onand run outside

3rd floor flats are a nightmare.
2 bombs in, dive down 3 flights stairs & run about half a mile out past building to be able to get a line of sight of the termination.:lol:

I agree I like the 45sec ones, especially against a blue/grey sky it takes me that long to focus now

They stain things like curtains though if it fills the room with smoke.

I would always use a smoke match first to see if there was some pull then generally if it fails the smoke stays in the chimney, but I suppose on smaller chimneys it could get back into the room, they are great for really dull grey days

I would always use a smoke match first to see if there was some pull then generally if it fails the smoke stays in the chimney, but I suppose on smaller chimneys it could get back into the room, they are great for really dull grey days

average day up you way is dull and grey fm what I hear :)

Sometimes a correctly carried out flue flow test is a two man job by two qualified engineers, due to the distance and time it takes to get from the chimney (flue) opening to a view point outside. That does not go down well with some employers, so doubt if its always carried out correctly. Have never used coloured died pellets, because of the risk of staining furnishings; but can see the merits when you have white smoke on a cloudy sky background.

i will use an orange pellet if my normal one has gone up ok but its hard to see.

sometimes filling the room is not a bad idea when you have a customer standing over your shoulder nagging at ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
W
Yes, well, I have taken up Masood on his kind...
Replies
Views
wild nomad
W
Hello All- (Usual caveats apply: I am the...
Replies
Views
Mate, all you need to do is everything, to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it was the non return valve on the bottom...
Replies
Views
Back