flue's in voids | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss flue's in voids in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon F

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
checked a boiler today at a flat for an old neighbour of mine who is renting the flat out.
it's a ground floor flat with two flats above, glow worm hideaway open flue.
I advised him before looking that the law is changing soon and there might well be an issue with the flue and access to it.
the flue does go into a void that runs up through the other flats with no means of access and no room to realisticly be able to fit inspection hatches, the void is sitting behind the hot water cylinders.

So really I am just checking that I understand the change from January that in the current condition the boiler would have to be classed as AR from the 1/1/2013
So the best advise is to get a new boiler fitted before next year?

Is this how you would all understand it?

Thanks for the replies, I have just re looked at the book and now see clearly that yes it says room sealed fanned flue.
so as to open flues in voids, no need to do anything?

Open flues, you need to check the full run in the neighbours flat & loft, if you can't get access, you can't complete the report for the job, so I'd AR it & explain that I need access, to cover myself. I'd also recommend co alarms to be fitted in all flats.

Open flues, you need to check the full run in the neighbours flat & loft, if you can't get access, you can't complete the report for the job, so I'd AR it & explain that I need access, to cover myself. I'd also recommend co alarms to be fitted in all flats.

is everyone of the same opinion, that if you can't properly inspect - to play it safe and say it's AR?

another gas engineer does the landlords safety cert at the flat on behalf of the letting agency, this engineer had suggested an upgrade to a new boiler but with no explanation. the boiler had not been condemned or at risked it was just a recommendation to upgrade. so because I know the landlord he asked me for a second opinion.

so this brings it back to my first question, is the best advice to fit a new boiler?

i would say yes any open flued appliance is going to be getting on in years now and i wouldnt feel happy to pass it as safe with no flue acces i cant see what difference it makes being fanned or natural draught it needs inspecting at all levels which means access to the other flats to do the test

is everyone of the same opinion, that if you can't properly inspect - to play it safe and say it's AR?

another gas engineer does the landlords safety cert at the flat on behalf of the letting agency, this engineer had suggested an upgrade to a new boiler but with no explanation. the boiler had not been condemned or at risked it was just a recommendation to upgrade. so because I know the landlord he asked me for a second opinion.

so this brings it back to my first question, is the best advice to fit a new boiler?
In this particular case you should be using all reasonable means to inspect the run of flue where it passes through another property. For all you know when you do a flu flow there is a small wisp of smoke at a joint where it passes through the neighbors cupboard.
If no access your options are to AR and complete job or AR and arrange for access at later date.

I think it is just common sense to recommend a boiler of this age, especially open flued is replaced.

the hide away is normaly connected with twin wall flue as you would use on a fire and when i questioned gas safe about on i come accross they said its a chimmney not flue

ant

If you AR an appliance, you have to turn it off, not necessarily disconnect it. As you're saying it's a potential problem.
The definition of turning off is vague, if you have turned the timer off & explain that if they turn it on again it's their responsibility & issue the warning notice you've completed your requirements
In the instance of the flue going thro' another flat, issuing an AR is putting pressure on the client to get access to the other flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If it’s in the manufacturer’s instructions...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Still need access for a visual inspection.
Replies
Views
keston are alright, theyre basicly an ideal...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
https://www.vaillant.co.uk/downloads/ecotec-sus...
Replies
Views
Back