fluxing pipework and fittings prior to soldering | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fluxing pipework and fittings prior to soldering in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

It is a bit worrying to lubricate something that you want to grip, but it's a double edged sword. If its not pushed fully home, then chances are it's gonna pop off.

I've used a fair amount of plastic, but it still scares the hell out of me!! I feel more comfortable when using it on gravity pressure that mains. My favoured brand is Poly Plumb. You can dismantle a joint and check it's home if you are concerned.

Copper is still king though.

a mate of mine had a poly plumb fitting go on the mains, and it flooded the whole of the downstairs lifting parquet flooring and all sorts of damage, he took it apart to have a look and saw it was pushed in properly, the teeth on the grab ring had flattened and not gripping the plastic. public liability insurance and poly plumb got involved, poly plumb said it was nothing to do with them as the nut had been undone. the fittings are tightened to a certain torque and the pipe work should have been air tested to 18 bar, he said he took it apart after but they wouldn't cough and didn't want to know.

They're all our buddies until the preverbial hits the fan. Then it's every man for himself. Hence why I don't put much of it in if I can help it.

I've never had one of my own joints blow and cause damage, but I'm sure it could happen.

Clean pipe with wire wool (and fitting if it is dirty)
-Flux pipe only (as said earlier you dont want to push excess flux into the fitting)
-Assemble and heat a bit
-Clean all flux off with a dry rag
-Heat and add solder
-Wipe with dry rag first then wipe with wet rag (if you wipe with wet first, solder doesn't stay shiny)
I was told/read somewhere not to twist pipe as it can wipe flux off parts of the inside of the fitting.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Burger
B
  • Question
No
Replies
Views
Back