Gas Boiler in a cupboard attached to a bedroom? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Boiler in a cupboard attached to a bedroom? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

getthewheelsinl

Hello,

I have just moved into a new house which I am re-configuring the layout.

The house has currently got oil central heating (located in its own cupboard off the hall) but I am arranging for SGN to have gas mains put in the new year.

From my reasearch on this forum, I am looking at the ideal logic plus gas boiler which will be a swap over from the exsiting.

Anyway, my question is : Are you allowed to have a gas boiler in a cupboard that is attached to a bedroom? (As this will proposed access to the boiiler after the reconfiguration)

Thanks in advance,

Ask the engineer installing the gas boiler

lot better places to put a boiler imho, talk to the installer

Ask the engineer installing the gas boiler

Very Helpful - Thanks.

lot better places to put a boiler imho, talk to the installer

Granted, there problably is better places to position the boiler but had just planned to have this in the same cupboard as the exisiting boiler.
The boiler cupboard will be access via the master bedroom through the ensuite through the walk in wardrobe - so technically not attached to the bedroom.

This was the main reason why I was asking - if its a NO then I can come up with a better reconfiguration.

Cheers.

Also forgot to add the boiler cupboard has its own window with built in trickle vents.

via the bedroom, via a ensuite via a wardrobe, keep it simple and sweet so the plumber doesnt have to cart his gear thro all your underwear etc, kitchen wall, same place as oil boiler off hall, will the boiler be 6" off the floor in the easy access place?

Also forgot to add the boiler cupboard has its own window with built in trickle vents.

boilers dont need a view and ventilation not an issue with modern ff boilers! condensate drains more of an issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, i dont see a problem with your proposed location, however it would be best to discuss this with your installer.
And if you are spending a bit, choose a better boiler like an intergas imo

Hi, i dont see a problem with your proposed location, however it would be best to discuss this with your installer.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the intergas. It just seemed that the logic plus got good reviews and the 7 year warrenty after installation by an approved engineer.

put a rayburn in the kitchen, does the cooking and heating and wifey likes them as well, along with dogs and cats

via the bedroom, via a ensuite via a wardrobe, keep it simple and sweet so the plumber doesnt have to cart his gear thro all your underwear etc, kitchen wall, same place as oil boiler off hall, will the boiler be 6" off the floor in the easy access place?

The boiler cupboard will not be accesable from the hall after reconfiguration. The cupboard is quite large and I guess the gas boiler will be smaller than the camry 5 oil burner i currently have! If the engineer needs the boiler 6" off the floor then this wont be a problem for him either. Also some natural light and ventilation from the window will be good for him too!!

Absolutely I agree

Whens the vogue due out?

Just looked up my nearest supplier for the Intergas - so may contact them for a cost.

The Vogue is due to be released in January through a limited number of suppliers. As production increases it should be available generally after a few months. It will be significantly more expensive than the Logic Plus but will carry a permanent 7 year warranty. You may be too late for the 7 year warranty on the Logic plus (unless you get it done really quickly or the installer fudges the paperwork) as that offer was a promotion which is scheduled to end on Dec 31st. From January the Logic plus reverts to 5 years, unless Ideal change their mind - not uncommon at the moment as boiler manufacturers have a warranty arms race going on.

Having said that, I would still consider the Logic Plus - it is a proven boiler with hundreds of thousands installed across the country. Whilst the Vogue looks like a good boiler from the information released so far, its very difficult to judge an appliance until it has been on the market for a year or so. If you keep the price difference in your pocket, you could probably pay for a warranty extension or service contract for the two extra years and still have change.

Intergas is in a different category. They are very small in the UK, and only sell a tiny fraction of the number that Ideal, Baxi, Worcester or Vaillant sell. The relatively small number of installers who fit them speak highly of them, but it remains to be seen whether they can convert that enthusiasm into a long term business. There have been lots of european manufacturers come into the market, sell a few thousand appliances a year for a few years and then disappear again. Maintaining a solid, long term UK business with technical backup, in warranty repairs, spares etc requires a certain volume of sales which is hard for a newcomer to achieve, however technically good they are.

sounds like a nice place your doing get a vailant eco tec 31k or larger plus fitted by an approved installer and it will come with 7 years warranty

Intergas is in a different category. They are very small in the UK, and only sell a tiny fraction of the number that Ideal, Baxi, Worcester or Vaillant sell. The relatively small number of installers who fit them speak highly of them, but it remains to be seen whether they can convert that enthusiasm into a long term business. There have been lots of european manufacturers come into the market, sell a few thousand appliances a year for a few years and then disappear again. Maintaining a solid, long term UK business with technical backup, in warranty repairs, spares etc requires a certain volume of sales which is hard for a newcomer to achieve, however technically good they are.

they have sold 1,200,000 boilers in over 20 countries to date and produce 4000 plus a week makes them quite substantial in my books.

they have sold 1,200,000 boilers in over 20 countries to date and produce 4000 plus a week makes them quite substantial in my books.

I'm not questioning the quality of the boiler, I am wondering aloud about whether they can establish themselves in the UK.

Radiant and Saunier Duval (to name just two) have sold millions of boilers worldwide, but neither managed to establish themselves in the UK long term. There are plenty more examples.

At present, I don't think that any brand of boiler outside the big 4 groups have managed to establish and sustain more than 5% UK market share. Most of them are hovering around the 1% to 2.5% mark (about 12,500 to 35,000 per year).

Those sorts of numbers are marginal for supporting a long term UK business plan, and may have to be subsidised from the parent company/country, in which case a long term UK presence is very much at the whim of a head office elsewhere.

Major firms like Ariston, Ferroli, Vokera, Alpha etc keep plugging away, but none of them has managed to make sustained inroads into the market share of the 4 biggies.

I'm not questioning the quality of the boiler, I am wondering aloud about whether they can establish themselves in the UK.Radiant and Saunier Duval (to name just two) have sold millions of boilers worldwide, but neither managed to establish themselves in the UK long term. There are plenty more examples.At present, I don't think that any brand of boiler outside the big 4 groups have managed to establish and sustain more than 5% UK market share. Most of them are hovering around the 1% to 2.5% mark (about 12,500 to 35,000 per year).Those sorts of numbers are marginal for supporting a long term UK business plan, and may have to be subsidised from the parent company/country, in which case a long term UK presence is very much at the whim of a head office elsewhere.Major firms like Ariston, Ferroli, Vokera, Alpha etc keep plugging away, but none of them has managed to make sustained inroads into the market share of the 4 biggies.
You can add Glen Dimplex to the failed list also Ray! And they threw big money at it!

The Vogue is due to be released in January through a limited number of suppliers. As production increases it should be available generally after a few months. It will be significantly more expensive than the Logic Plus but will carry a permanent 7 year warranty. You may be too late for the 7 year warranty on the Logic plus (unless you get it done really quickly or the installer fudges the paperwork) as that offer was a promotion which is scheduled to end on Dec 31st. From January the Logic plus reverts to 5 years, unless Ideal change their mind - not uncommon at the moment as boiler manufacturers have a warranty arms race going on.

Having said that, I would still consider the Logic Plus - it is a proven boiler with hundreds of thousands installed across the country. Whilst the Vogue looks like a good boiler from the information released so far, its very difficult to judge an appliance until it has been on the market for a year or so. If you keep the price difference in your pocket, you could probably pay for a warranty extension or service contract for the two extra years and still have change.

Thanks for the information - I will look into the costs / warranties associated with the logic plus, vague & the Intergas.

Put it in the attic.

I guess thats an option - I just assumed you girls would moan about having to haul your tools up the loft!!

Being a bungaglow, space is a premium..... so good suggestion!! What would the main differences be between installing in loft compared to exisiting location? Flue penetrating roof? additional plumbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
Not always smaller no, but they’re not beasts...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Back