GAS LEAK in existing 22mm copper pipe direct to boiler | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss GAS LEAK in existing 22mm copper pipe direct to boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
LDF is leak detection fluid!! By across the meter it means either a leak from the inlet or outlet or the meter itself, from the ECV or anaconda... Capping the meter would check all of this!!!

Apologies 0808 how do you mean so I can go back to him with some alternative testing

If he doesn't know how to check for this he shouldn't be doing job, and its not your job to tell him how to do his. Leave him to it unless you think he's taking the mick.

LDF is leak detection fluid!! By across the meter it means either a leak from the inlet or outlet or the meter itself, from the ECV or anaconda... Capping the meter would check all of this!!!

Thanks 01ST i will give him a call in the morning to discuss, please feel free to comment further

I agree with TBServies, don't go telling him his job!!! Get someone else in if you don't feel confident in him!!!

If one of my customers presumed to tell me how to look for a gas leak because he'd been on a forum, I'd be well ticked off.

22mm, yeah probably right about checking with the forum bit. But then at what stage do you say enough is enough we cannot find the leak we need to run new pipe

i take its 22mm throughout?. i bet its a leak in the wall where its plastered over near the meter

That's up to you. He can test along every inch of the pipe by taking your house half to bits, or he can suggest an alternative route to replace it.

i take its 22mm throughout?. i bet its a leak in the wall where its plastered over near the meter

It is 22mm throughout, will a gas sniffer smell the gas through the plaster wall and flooring/carpet?

That's up to you. He can test along every inch of the pipe by taking your house half to bits, or he can suggest an alternative route to replace it.
Any doubts about running the pipe up the front of the house from the meter into the eaves through into my loft space and then down into my boiler. Also as another point have any of you come across any good external trunking to cover the pipe that can be painted etc... Also i have read that the pipe if painted needs to be yellow?

This sounds as if you need a second independent opinion from another gas safe registered plumber. Just go on the gas safe website for contact details. It will put your mind at rest if nothing else.

Any doubts about running the pipe up the front of the house from the meter into the eaves through into my loft space and then down into my boiler. Also as another point have any of you come across any good external trunking to cover the pipe that can be painted etc... Also i have read that the pipe if painted needs to be yellow?

A run that long is likely to need some 28mm pipe on it.

TB, it doesn't matter if appliances were connected there was a smell of gas so NO drop allowed

TB, it doesn't matter if appliances were connected there was a smell of gas so NO drop allowed

The smell of gas has been resolved (due to another leak) but there's still a small drop as I understand it?

Or is it once there's been the smell of gas reported it has to be 100% tight? It's not something I've ever thought about as I've never left a leak unattended to

Last edited by a moderator:
Once a smell of gas has been reported the installation has to be 100% even if the source of the smell appears to have been resolved.

The smell of gas has been resolved (due to another leak) but there's still a small drop as I understand it?

Or is it once there's been the smell of gas reported it has to be 100% tight? It's not something I've ever thought about as I've never left a leak unattended to

Yes the original leak was found and solved but it would appear that we would have a leak elsewhere due to the pressure drop, however we could not identify where

If the guy has isolated the appliances and there is still a drop then probably the best plan would be a new gas run! It could take ages to find a leak on the pipework, specially if its hidden pipework!

Hi, I may not be reading the op right but did he do full test i.e. the let by & tightness test? Was it pipe work only or did it include the boiler aswell? I have not heard about building regs not allowing running copper pipe externally for gas, so will have too look that up.

You need to be careful here, personally i would get someone else to do a tightness test before going to the expense of rerouting the gas in a larger size.

Your in quite an awkward position on the one hand you dont want to be seen as second guessing your gas fitter, but then you dont want to be taken for a mug either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back