Gas leak reported 7 weeks after I fitted meter | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas leak reported 7 weeks after I fitted meter in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew, are you sill waiting for hearing? Hope it all goes okay for you.

I don't really understand why everyone is berating the tenant for waiting 7 weeks - we are all in the trade and know customers do odd things! And it really has no significance on the right or wrongs of the accusation. In my view, there are limited explanations, and my money would be an unsuccessful blow, followed by the flux causing a temporary seal, but afterwards melting or giving way under the working pressure. This assumes that a TT was properly executed. If you haven't yet had your hearing, I would have a ready explanation as to why you did THREE post TT ,or not mention them all.

In my long career, I have come across MANY joints which have clearly not been successful, but have not leaked, some on water and others on gas. Two of the most potentially dramatic ones were a 1.5" socket on a massive boiler, which when I ripped it out had NEVER been soldered. The other was my ex primary school teacher, who contacted me in a panic. BG/transco had been round to a smell of gas, and decided it was underground and needed a re-run. The house had just been decorated, and he was concerned about the mess. I found the leak in minutes. Remember the customer is the first tool(!), and on questioning he told me BG had just serviced the boiler. The final 1/2 elbow on the boiler supply inside the OPEN FLUED boiler case had never seen a stick of solder. The bungalow was about 20 years old at the time, and still had the original boiler, a Concorde or E type IIRC .

I would not be able to swear that I have never left a fitting with a strip of flux holing the gas back. By definition you will never know until it gives way.

IMO, we should be testing at a pressure way in excess of working.

Why DID you test 3 times?

good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Mate, all you need to do is everything, to...
Replies
Views
Yes thats another place i will be phoning...
Replies
Views
Hi Chuck - absolutely fine you do have a point...
Replies
Views
Landlord job do anything without quoting for...
Replies
Views
Back