gas rating boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gas rating boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is you want to find out? the gas consumption of your boiler?

to hard to explain anyway its one of them you have to be shown ,do it 5 times and hope it sinks in takes a week to get it right and then consult the corgi book

if your not gsr why do you want to gas rate? just to work out how much gas your using?

Allow heat store to cool, so maximum burn is measured.

For imperial meters, with rotating dial. Time one revolution of the meter dial when the boiler is on full burn, with thermostat on max. This will give you the number of seconds for one revolution.

Then using the constant 1064, divide this by the number of seconds for the revolution.

The number you get from this division is the KW rating of the appliance.

also be better posted in the right section

thanks

Sorted :yesnod:

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the way i have been doing it, there are many different ways but these are the 2 i can remember, feel free to tell me if you think theres anything wrong with doing it this way, for imperial meters: boiler at max, count secs per rev on dial. then i do 3600x1040 divide by secs per rev then divide by 3412.
for metric meters, i take a reading, fire boiler on max, time for 2 mins, take 1 reading from the other, divide by 2, x60, x35.37, x1040, divide by 3412

not meaning to be a smart alex but I just press stop and start on the phone and the app works it out

i was taught this way

metric 3600x(how many seconds over 2 minutes)x10.76
divided by 120 = total in kws

imperial 3600x1040 divide by example 50 seconds total in BTUs then divide 3412= kw gross

this is the way i have been doing it, there are many different ways but these are the 2 i can remember, feel free to tell me if you think theres anything wrong with doing it this way, for imperial meters: boiler at max, count secs per rev on dial. then i do 3600x1040 divide by secs per rev then divide by 3412.
for metric meters, i take a reading, fire boiler on max, time for 2 mins, take 1 reading from the other, divide by 2, x60, x35.37, x1040, divide by 3412
hi south....seems a lot of maths to me and more chance to make a mistake......we both get same result but i was taught the simpler sum (due to my mental mathematics....ha ha!!)
fire boiler on max....take reading......time for 2 minutes......take reading.....subtract second reading from first.....multiply by 30......then multiply by c.v. 10.8 =

Thank God for the app I use to write the numbers down and run the appliance and subtract and look it up on the chart

it works fine I have never had any problem with it just press stop and go and it gives you the results net and gross, I prefer to do the burner pressure when doing gas land certs but sometimes just gas rate if access is a issue , opening a can of worms now lol

it works fine I have never had any problem with it just press stop and go and it gives you the results net and gross, I prefer to do the burner pressure when doing gas land certs but sometimes just gas rate if access is a issue , opening a can of worms now lol
And you get how much from the landlords.......????? ha ha!!! (ok lets not open the can of worms)

hi south....seems a lot of maths to me and more chance to make a mistake......we both get same result but i was taught the simpler sum (due to my mental mathematics....ha ha!!)
fire boiler on max....take reading......time for 2 minutes......take reading.....subtract second reading from first.....multiply by 30......then multiply by c.v. 10.8 =

Just multiply your reading for 2 mins by 323

Now that sounds simple subtract one from the other and multiply by 323
but where do you get 323 from please ?

your way is definitly simpler, i got the metric way of doing it from the viper book and just always remembered the imperial from when i 1st did my acs, alot easyer to use the iphone ap but always handy to know how to work it out if you need to.

Now that sounds simple subtract one from the other and multiply by 323
but where do you get 323 from please ?

Ok. Answer x30
X 10.76 (kw of gas per m3)
= answer

30x10.76= 323. The reason this calculation works is. Bacause my calorific value remains constant at 10.76.

It rules out all the other constants

important to note that gas rate and heat input are different

I agree to fuzzy, still same mistake, gas rate and heat input are different. Been with many engineer and they still calculate heat input and saying it is gas rate.

Ok. Answer x30
X 10.76 (kw of gas per m3)
= answer

30x10.76= 323. The reason this calculation works is. Bacause my calorific value remains constant at 10.76.

It rules out all the other constants

Thats if your cv remains constant.......we are told to check the gas bill as the cv varies from region to region...from 10.8 to 11.4....

imperial was 1 revolution/1098

and for metric multipy by 321 for me, i think its because its the easiest to remember, it will still be accurate enough to work within the tolerances allowed anyway, but i have to admit i just use my app now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
OOOO Yeah! Spend 10 minutes squinting at a...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
J
I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they...
Replies
Views
Back