gas rating boilers | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gas rating boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
switch boiler on max,watch last 3 figures on meter for 37secs e.g. (.021 to.049)subtract 1st reading from second reading and your answer is in kw,e.g.28kw,easy.

37 seconds ?? never heard that one, its not gas rating though thats heat input

i have been told that we are not allowed to use the apps as they are not accurate, is this true ??

Also has anyone got a simple calculation for working out how many ft/hr your using ? I find the metric one easy but not the imperial one.

i have been told that we are not allowed to use the apps as they are not accurate, is this true ??

Also has anyone got a simple calculation for working out how many ft/hr your using ? I find the metric one easy but not the imperial one.

When I had my inspection the inspector said he is a fan of making life simple and said if you have the iphone app then use it.

not what i have been told and have seen people being dug up for using the app and asked to do the calcuations.

although i may add this is a gas board inspector

I Have an android app that I'm starting to use, couple of clicks and you have your answer! but I still do a manual calc every now and again, keep the brain fresh and confirm app is working. I can't see any problem with use tools to make life easier, it's not a lot different to use a ventilation slide rule to cut out the math, but you still need to know how to do it all manually!!

Might have opened the other end of the can!!!

not what i have been told and have seen people being dug up for using the app and asked to do the calcuations.

although i may add this is a gas board inspector

Thats what I was told and also a mate of mine used a gas rate ap on his inspection with a different inspector to the one I had. If i was offering advice to somone who was having an inspection I would say learn the gas rate calculations just incase.

i used to use the app on my htc but its broke and i haven't claimed it on the insurance yet, using another phone at the moment so doing it manually now, the only problem i have is calculating ft/hr.

When working on imperial meters I times how long for one revolution then divide that by 1098, divide 1.11 to get heat input, anyone got a simple calcuation to convert kw to ft/hr ?

Last edited:
i used to use the app on my htc but its broke and i haven't claimed it on the insurance yet, using another phone at the moment so doing it manually now, the only problem i have is calculating ft/hr.

When working on imperial meters I times how long for one revolution then divide that by 1098, divide 1.11 to get heat input, anyone got a simple calcuation to convert kw to ft/hr ?

why do you want to take it back to ft3?
if the appliance HI is metric then 1097 (or whatever you use) divided bt T (secs to burn 1ft3) gives you HI in Kw, then divide by 3412 if you need it in BTU's
1097/T x 0.028 gives you a conversion from ft3/hr to m3/hr (as some MI state gas rate rather than HI)

well worcester benchmark want either m3/hr or ft3/hr and i can manage it with metric meters to get m3/hr but struggle with imperial at the moment i am putting in HI but please don't shoot me i know its wrong but still showing its working correctly.

well worcester benchmark want either m3/hr or ft3/hr and i can manage it with metric meters to get m3/hr but struggle with imperial at the moment i am putting in HI but please don't shoot me i know its wrong but still showing its working correctly.

if they want m3/hr or ft3/hr then mark it in m3/hr,
1097/T(secs to burn ft3 of gas)x 0.028 will give you m3/hr using a U6 meter

I used an iPhone app on my Gas Safe inspection. No bother. As a matter of we had a laugh about it. He did long hand, I did iPhone and we were within .xx of each other. No different than using the gas rating slide rule and I'd challenge any inspector who picked me up on this.

But then again, I'm bloshy like that. :)

If you want to write down the imperial gas rate, time the dial for 1 rev then divide 3600 (number of seconds in an hour) by the time. eg. 44 secs for a rev. 3600 /44 = 81.8ft³/hr. To check it against the metric in the book multiply it by 0.0283 = 2.31m³/hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
OOOO Yeah! Spend 10 minutes squinting at a...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
J
I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they...
Replies
Views
Back