gas safe and non payers | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss gas safe and non payers in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
got another issue with a cust (had few lately) all related to same builder whom i told no longer working for them and they seem to have had a sulk on over it .

The cust has had full plumbs done and last invoice went in which they replied under advice (from builder) that not to pay it its about £650.

As i have not signed off the boiler yet and have no intention to do so until they pay how does this stand with gas safe and can i stop it getting signed off by some one else obviously its a bargaining tool till i get paid .

I was thinking also using threats of until its signed its classed as I.D so i will shut gas supply down etc etc scare mongering tactics.

I know usuals are courts and debt collectors etc etc but wondered about the gas safe sign off as bargaining tool as well

It's illegal to leave an unc omissions appliance connected to gas so ......and if they won't let you call out trannies.

We always tell customers we need cheque or card machine number to register appliances .... Normally works

Isn't this a good trade to be in every one trying to screw you, never used to be like this ! but seems to be getting more frequent.

Isn't this a good trade to be in every one trying to screw you, never used to be like this ! but seems to be getting more frequent.

It seems to be one of few where people expect to pay later for a service provided. You wouldn't go to qwik fit get new tyres and exhaust then once it's fitted say if you post me an invoice I'll pay it then. Just another reason I'm getting myself a card terminal

Get a Hilti cartridge gun. Start firing nails through worktop when your in kitchen then nail a stainless pan to the sink. Old dears get shaken up easily...... ;)

Is that the concrete setting gun? Seen all sorts fixed done with one of them someone's tool belt to an rsj was the funniest

Its a finished job and they have moved in was thinking could I get the gas transporter out to disconnect

Come down on them like a ton of bricks. I get bust to sign a contract agreeing to pay in full on day of completion and that no warranties of certificates will be issued until full payment is made.

Tell them they have to pay, it will not be registered till they do, they will not have a warranty, building control will not sign off the work until the boiler is and they will never sell their house without a certificate. Start using recorded mail and start court proceedings, they will soon change their attitude.

Come down hard but legally. Follow through with whatever you tell them. You dont want it getting out that you dont take non payment seriously.

Dont phone them just use letters so that you keep a record.

What's the reason for not paying?

Might be easier to come to an agreement without dealing with the builder.

Have you told them when you have to be paid by? I allways put it at the bottom of an invoice...to be paid on completion or within 7 days of completion etc. You should also say to your customer you want paying for materials when they arrive on the job. This cuts out losing the cost of the boiler aswell as your time. I explain to people that ive been done before and its to cover my back as now they have it I have no right to it once its fitted. Ive had no trouble since, one time the customer disagreed and we parted company there and then so that may have saved me a few quid.

Builder has stuck there nose in they have been all arsey since I said I wont work for them . Told the lient not to pay final invoice as they have had to do repair work which is usual builders bull . I have informed builder that I have not billed for extras as yet which will run into a couple grand as they damaged pipes .but really want to shut the gas down make the building and stress level uncomfortable

It seems to be one of few where people expect to pay later for a service provided. You wouldn't go to qwik fit get new tyres and exhaust then once it's fitted say if you post me an invoice I'll pay it then. Just another reason I'm getting myself a card terminal

This... i hate the 'send me an invoice' line grrrrrrrrrr

Is the meter outside? if so shut the gas off and out the sealing disc back in ;)

Is the meter outside? if so shut the gas off and out the sealing disc back in ;)

Not to illegal , not having power of entry and the rest. I would be a shade more subtle. Expanding foam up conny and hose in the flue. Flood boiler. When they call u going on about warranty and workmanship....... Narr not me, if I had been involved you would have gotten a receipt when u paid the bill.

Had a similar problem with a customer who was unhappy with my time keeping!! was running a couple of hours late! usual emergencys on a saturday morning!!

Had finished the boiler install last thing Friday and left the paper work to do on Saturday, when I called to say I would be late they basical said if your not coming now don't bother, I explanind that as the boiler was not yet commisioned it was potentially unsafe and therefore I would need to come round to finsh the commision, and his reply was " Well that appears to be your problem"

Rang Gas safe to go through the problem that I had an uncommisioned appliance that I was not being allow acces to in order to commision it, they reply was quite short and to the effect of you should try to come to aggrement with the customer! and then see where to go, there were more concered with the unsafe appliance!!

The problem you have is that unfortunatly and we all do it you have left an uncommisioned applinance onnected to a live gas supply!!
Unless there is a way you can show that when you left it was not connected and therefore someone else connected it, you are technically in the wrong!

I did think of ringing Transco, but sortted it with the custard in the end, But unsure how Transco would proceed!!

If they let u yes. But your far better to call transco and tell them you have an ID and custard won't let you cap off. Them boys will just chop off outside. £70099999999 to reconnect

I have actually done the commission it all works fine its just paperwork and sign off side of it . Had a feeling over last invoice that may be an issue hence why didnt follow through a gas notification

You have to wait outside for transporter to arrive and make safe. As they are about to remove service and custard is screaming blue murder tell them that you can commission appliance for what is owed plus the call out fee. Tranny won't wait 2hrs for another plumber to turn up either. ONLY Take cash or internet transfer.

Also do it on a Sunday or Saturday afternoon as no other plumber be answering phone nor will builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Morning All. We have a gas safe inspection...
Replies
Views
I am about to start a training course to...
Replies
Views
These agreements are difficult to get right...
Replies
Views
You will have almost certainly have a "non...
Replies
Views
Was thinking of just ringing round any ladder...
Replies
Views
Back