Gas Supply near Wood Stove | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas Supply near Wood Stove in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJ.

Hi,
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Help I cannot seem to find any regs on this one, I am having a Wood burner fitted into my fireplace. The gas supply pipe to the original gas fire runs inside the concrete pad of the House straight through the center of the room and [/FONT]up to the fireplace recess, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]it is currently buried around 35 mm or so below floor level, under the proposed site of the new stove, this will be concreted back in and then a 20 mm stone hearth placed over top. How far away from the stove does the pipe in the floor need to be capped off,( it cannot be capped off at source as that's somewhere unknown in the middle of the house)., i.e. how much of the floor needs chiseling out away from the new stove. I did have a gas safe engineer cap it off when fire removed but not sure he knew anything about stoves.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to Stove manufactures, The stove only requires a 12 mm constructional hearth as hearth temperatures are up to or below 100c. Apparently. Has anybody an experience or advise on this.[/FONT]

the gas pipe will need to be left capped and accessible for purging of air or you need to find where it tee's off the main pipework and cut it out there. Speak to your gas engineer, get a metal detector if needed if steel, if copper a sub scanner may be better.

I had this a couple of weeks ago, I could nt find the answer anywhere, hetas or gas safe, common sense won in the end, I pulled the floor up and took out the tee.

I think common sense approach of removing a pipe that's never going to be used in that location now is the best approach, no point in leaving it inaccessible, AW why would you need to purge an unused tail?

Its what i was taught, that if you do not disconnect a branch of pipework at the point the branch starts (which you should really try and do) then you should leave a way of purging the branch to enable normal purging proceedures.

This is what i was taught 18 or so years ago and ive never done any different. I have no idea if its written down anywhere in the regulations, but it makes perfect sense to me. :)

Its what i was taught, that if you do not disconnect a branch of pipework at the point the branch starts (which you should really try and do) then you should leave a way of purging the branch to enable normal purging proceedures.

This is what i was taught 18 or so years ago and ive never done any different. I have no idea if its written down anywhere in the regulations, but it makes perfect sense to me. :)
Dont recall seeing that in regs but agree does make perfect sense. Orherwise you may get a pocket of air and gas in the pipe when other work is done that you cant clear.

installation pipes must not be located anywhere where temperature are likely to reach 100 degrees c. Redundant pipes should be cut back to the nearest point of the supply. BS6891.

As you say it can't do any harm, and you are right it's best to cut back as near the tee as possible,

Hi guys this gas pipe can not be within a meter of s/fuel stove needs moving asap v dangerous , sorry for butting in

Hi guys this gas pipe can not be within a meter of s/fuel stove needs moving asap v dangerous , sorry for butting in
Which technical document are you basing this advice, as the gas installation pipes document (BS6891) does not specify a distance.

Come on Fat Lad, I am really interested to know which document your working from. I've trawled through the HETAS technical and the gas technical documents and can't find any quotations. May be its manufacturer instructions for a particular model of solid fuel burner/stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
Had this a few times- as someone said above...
Replies
Views
the Same position for meter but riser outside...
Replies
Views
R
Agreed. Find a gas man you trust and get him...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
J
Jonast would like to thank you all who have...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
C
Thanks for the replys. Wont let me post pic...
Replies
Views
crippled
C
Back