New gas supply - distance from U6 meter | Gas Engineers Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New gas supply - distance from U6 meter in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who have commented so far!

Today BG fitted a shiny new U6 gas meter to the service provided by SGN.Actually, it's a reconditioned one but it looks very nice nonetheless.

Standing pressure at the meter was 23.5mbar.

I took the opportunity to measure the run of SGN’s service pipe which is nowburied. It's longer than I thought. Effective length is actually 30m and it's32mm yellow PE.

The difficulty remains what size pipe to specify to connect the meter tothe house which is a further 30m away (allowing for upstands andbends at each end). The supply will feed a 24kW WB combi and a 9kW gashob.

My instinct is to have it run in 63mm yellow PE despite it being five timesmore expensive than 32mm. My layman's logic is that if this doesn't provideenough gas flow at the house, then it will be down to SGN to upgrade their 32mmservice. Or am I being naiive in believing this?!

Also, this assumes there is a way of checking the gas flow rate withoutany of the appliances being fitted. Am I correct in believing that there is?

As ever, your comments and advice would be much appreciated. Having made somany costly mistakes elsewhere on the build, I am determined to getthis aspect right first time!

Cheers, Jonathan

The standing pressure at the outlet is regulated by the meter governor.
Changing the service would not give you any extra. The main is usually fed under a higher pressure anyway.

You should have really got the meter installed closer to the boiler.

30m of 32mm pipe has a volume of 0.048m3 plus meter plus other pipework. Probably still below 1m3 volume and less than 35mm so UP/1/B domestic test ok.

Standing pressure tells you very little other than the governor is working and locking up to prevent the medium pressure getting though the equipment.

63mm at 30m is capable of 28m3 within 1mbar differential. on a U6 meter laughable.

Far to much information supplied, get a qualified gas safe engineer in to delivery what is required.

Sorry guys, I have read all of your postsand have tried to digest all you have said.

What prompted my last post and what’s stillbugging me is that I realize now that the supply to the house from the gas mainin the street will actually be 60m.

The meter is half way along and I can’t doanything about SGN’s supply to it which is 32mm. It’s buried with all the otherservices and I’m sure that upgrading it now would cost SGN - or more likely me -thousands. So that isn’t going to happen.

With the benefit of hindsight, I’d have hadthe meter fitted nearer to the house as anz suggested, but the garage seemed theobvious place to put it at the time. I didn’t want a gas meter in the house or onein the ground outside.

So, for ermintrude and tamz, given thelength of the service pipe, do you still think that 32mm PE would suffice?

My worry is that if 32mm doesn’t work, SGNwill blame me when I would rather blame them for not providing an adequateservice!

Thanks again to all for the feedback

Jonathan

The gas transporters bit up to the meter is medium or high pressure so it will not effect your side of the meter.

Sorry guys, I have read all of your postsand have tried to digest all you have said.

What prompted my last post and what’s stillbugging me is that I realize now that the supply to the house from the gas mainin the street will actually be 60m.

The meter is half way along and I can’t doanything about SGN’s supply to it which is 32mm. It’s buried with all the otherservices and I’m sure that upgrading it now would cost SGN - or more likely me -thousands. So that isn’t going to happen.

With the benefit of hindsight, I’d have hadthe meter fitted nearer to the house as anz suggested, but the garage seemed theobvious place to put it at the time. I didn’t want a gas meter in the house or onein the ground outside.

So, for ermintrude and tamz, given thelength of the service pipe, do you still think that 32mm PE would suffice?

My worry is that if 32mm doesn’t work, SGNwill blame me when I would rather blame them for not providing an adequateservice!

Thanks again to all for the feedback

Jonathan

I understand that you don't want to make costly mistakes but you're trying to do a GSR's work for him/her, and second-guess trained professionals, without having the knowledge to do so. Get a GSR in who can do site-specific measurements and calculations and tell you what's what.

Forum member: King Billy and his crew are based in Maidstone, thirty minutes away. You could do worse than send K.B. a P.M. on the forum.

As stated, you are now trying to do the work of a gsr. we will not size this for you.

Get someone in.

Jonast would like to thank you all who have issued advice on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

N
Thank you all. The wording was ambiguous in...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
On the basis that one opinion is good but two...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Many thanks bacon_sandwich.
Replies
Views
Back