Gas valve for hob behind cupboard. | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gas valve for hob behind cupboard. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
When installing a gas hob the required isolation valve usually falls behind the cooker. That is removed by unscrewing 4 screws. I'm wondering if its seen acceptable by most to use a compression gas isolation valve in such a position. . Thanks

It’s not an end user valve, they would shut off the ECV in an emergency.
Fine to use a compression valve.

I was told this on a gas safe inspection

Fine behind the oven

These Hob installation instructions also say that the isolation valve should be accessible. This is the same pic that I posted in the other thread.

9932732C-A36B-407A-B032-043A0664887F.jpeg

But what would take longer, removing 4 screws or emptying 3 drawers full of pans and pottery or food tins/boxes? For as long as mans been installing integrated units, a gas cock has been behind a under worktop oven... gas or electric.
Like you said, it’s for servicing for a gas safe engineer.

How do we define 'accessible'?

That's all it needs to be to be able to use compression on Gas.

It is up to the on site Engineers discretion to define that, in that particular situation.

It's not always easy to make your mind up though, lol.

How do we define 'accessible'?

That's all it needs to be to be able to use compression on Gas.

It is up to the on site Engineers discretion to define that, in that particular situation.

It's not always easy to make your mind up though, lol.
I'd define something accessible if you can get it easily by using basic hand tools. A screwdriver to remove 4 screws and pull an oven out would be accessible in my opinion.

So then why doesn’t that count for flues in voids why can they not be screwed. Why do they have to be proper hatches?

I’d imagine that a customer allowing internal decoration to be damaged from removing screw or even finding screws under wallpaper, would be very difficult. Where as purpose built hatches are easily accessible and hard to wall paper over o_O

So then why doesn’t that count for flues in voids why can they not be screwed. Why do they have to be proper hatches?
Dont hatches only apply to flues that are inaccessible? That would again come down the engineer, if I came to a flue where the boxing could easily be removed by taking out a few screws I wouldn't class that flue as inaccessible.

I’d imagine that a customer allowing internal decoration to be damaged from removing screw or even finding screws under wallpaper, would be very difficult. Where as purpose built hatches are easily accessible and hard to wall paper over o_O
But you could damage the oven or cupboard by removing the oven? Six of one and half a dozen of the other me thinks.

Dont hatches only apply to flues that are inaccessible? That would again come down the engineer, if I came to a flue where the boxing could easily be removed by taking out a few screws I wouldn't class that flue as inaccessible.

Lol, you tell Mrs Smith down the road, that you want to remove her 2 month old painted and caulked boxing.

You’ll get a quick feckoffski....

Similar plumbing topics

What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Still being called spammy by the forum filters...
Replies
Views
Also, they could even supply their own tube...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
Back