Gran 86 has to pay £142 month for energy... BOILER? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gran 86 has to pay £142 month for energy... BOILER? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snadge

I think my grans boiler may be faulty.... she and her 86 year old husband live in a very tiny 2 bed upper flat - during the summer her Npower dual-fuel bill for six months for GAS was £19 a month (elec was £22) GREAT - £243 for Apr-Oct....

...now my gran&grandad are TIGHT and they would rather wrap up and sit in coat+gloves than have heating on much/high in winter but she DOES obviously use it a little more... her 2007 WINTER (oct07-apr08) 6 month usage for just Gas was £440 (still quite high at nearly £70 month for a small 2 bed flat with 2 pensioners) - so theyve estimated this next (6-month) winter gas usage (oct08-apr09) to be £589... (WOW way too much surely almost £100 a month) altogether it totalled at £142 a month she has to pay....

now with looking at the bills and seeing that all is cheap and fine during summer at £40 month for both but then £142 month for winter is wrong surely

so...

we were thinking it was the BOILER its an old SAUNIER DUVAL SD 623 COMBI-BOILER installed on the floor , she has to get on ground to turn a switch to fill her own water tank and the hot water pressure is low and has to run it for ages to get hot through - could this boiler be the cause of the high gas usage in the winter....?

and if so....

whats a good replacement?
whats a good quote?
who's best to use?
what should she ask the fitter when he qouting?

many thanks for reading and I HOPE I can help my gran because I think its a rip-off but I dunno if its actually Npowers fault...

Last edited by a moderator:
grants are available for people of a certain age, both insulation and new central heating. warmfront do it (wouldnt touch them with a bargepole myself) but if they are skint and cant afford proper plumbers to do it get the government (tax payers) to pay it. also remember if they pay by direct debit energy provider can change the amounts debited to whatever they want! it is perfectly legal for them to have your granny's money in their npower account earning them money(multiply that by 1 million customers)its a bag of dog doo! make sure meter readings have been taken every month and they have not under/overpaid. get a corgi guy in to check for leaks and gas rates etc

grants are available for people of a certain age, both insulation and new central heating. warmfront do it (wouldnt touch them with a bargepole myself) but if they are skint and cant afford proper plumbers to do it get the government (tax payers) to pay it. also remember if they pay by direct debit energy provider can change the amounts debited to whatever they want! it is perfectly legal for them to have your granny's money in their npower account earning them money(multiply that by 1 million customers)its a bag of dog doo! make sure meter readings have been taken every month and they have not under/overpaid. get a corgi guy in to check for leaks and gas rates etc

thanks for reply, they have lots of money they dont like spending but she does want to sort this problem out and will get a new boiler if its causing the problems... it gets checked but only on its due dates

so whats the best option? get a corgi registered guy in to see if its causing leaks?

do you think that amount of gas usage for them is high in winter for 2 bedroom tiny flat and they only have living room and 1 bedroom radiator on and honestly she hardly has it on (cos she that tight) but the STILL want her money??

we do government grants thro warmfront. over 60 get 300 quid off with us. if u go to warmfront direct then u will get more.....but a crap boiler and an apprentice fitting it.
recommend worcester or valliant
feel free to try us if u are in our area or phone for advice
(we have just condemned a warmfront instalation so be careful)

I've seen some good installations by Warmfront!
but, Warmfront are only good as the contractors they employ. like any thing really! A bit hit and miss!

To some degree what you pay is what you get! (or don't pay):rolleyes:

so can anyone confirm that this boiler is old and probably the cause of the high gas bills in winter (when its used)

I don't think anyone can confirm the old boiler is at fault, without looking and testing it.
But a new condensing boiler will for shore be cheaper to run.
Maybe radiator TRV's could be fitted, also a room stat would help,
A worcester junior boiler would be a good call, any local corgi registered plumbing firm will direct you the best way.
When looking for a plumber always ask family & friends for recommendations.
Which part of country do you live, as a lot of registered company's are members of this site and may be able to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone can confirm the old boiler is at fault, without looking and testing it.
But a new condensing boiler will for shore be cheaper to run.
Maybe radiator TRV's could be fitted, also a room stat would help,
A worcester junior boiler would be a good call, any local corgi registered plumbing firm will direct you the best way.
When looking for a plumber always ask family & friends for recommendations.
Which part of country do you live, as a lot of registered company's are members of this site and may be able to help.

they are based in Whitley Bay , Tyne & Wear (Newcastle Upon Tyne)

thanks for your advice - ive been told elsewhere not to use BG and to make sure the flat is well-insulated and go for a "Glow worm ultracom 24cxi with a spirovent, around £1750 with a flush all in would be a ball park figure." but Iam getting a few bits of advice first - yours sounds like the best so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
I almost jumped in earlier in the thread to...
Replies
Views
E
Thanks for your help and advice.:)
Replies
Views
E
H
What's your suggestion Hammers?
Replies
Views
Ch4 plumbing
C
T
Haha, already in! I had the fan bought before...
Replies
Views
tintin
T
Back