Gravity hot water not circulating please help | Bathroom Advice | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Gravity hot water not circulating please help in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

G

gasmannn

I had a problem with no hot water on a gravity circulation system, I thought the coil was blocked as it was getting hot to one side, so I changed the cylinder, still didn't work, I then found a two port valve boxed in and the head was gone so I replaced, started to fire but still hot to only one side of the coil, tried back filling through the boiler drain off got some heat round the return while filling with boiler running but once I stopped and tried running it again still won't circulate????

Lets see if your as clever as you think you are and tell me what I have not tried?

You'll never learn if someone tells you the answers.
You've already written in one of your posts (i can't be bothered to look which one) what is wrong with it. That is the only clue i'll give you.
Figure it out for yourself or pay another tradesman for your education.

You'll never learn if someone tells you the answers.
You've already written in one of your posts (i can't be bothered to look which one) what is wrong with it. That is the only clue i'll give you.
Figure it out for yourself or pay another tradesman for your education.

Why you so sour mate did someone not teach you what you know I can't understand people like you if you don't wana help someone out then why come on here just to take the mick, and if it the fact I chose the wrong cylinder I was advised on this and older plumbers have told me it shouldn't matter

There is nothing wrong with the cylinder.

What else can be restricting it? The valve is opening there's no restriction there? Is it because the flow to the coil is level? It was on the old one. It might be basic for you but I have struggled for days Ive called everyone I know people just keep telling me the same stuff, if you can help me I would appreciate it if not then don't worry about it

Why you so sour mate did someone not teach you what you know I can't understand people like you if you don't wana help someone out then why come on here just to take the mick, and if it the fact I chose the wrong cylinder I was advised on this and older plumbers have told me it shouldn't matter

have you tried bypassing the cylinder yet to rule out blockage or seized zone valve?

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried bypassing the cylinder yet to rule out blockage or seized zone valve?

Bypassing the cylinder was going to be the next step, as for the valve when I back filled it I had the boiler running and it pushed hot water up the return to the coil budding seem to go back round the flow? I don't think tamz really knows what the problem is at all To be honest

Last edited by a moderator:
And you keep scratching your head.
When you eventually figure it out you'll never forget it so will have learned a lesson to last a lifetime.
If you want to be half clued up in heating this is simple stuff. Think!

With amount it is costing him he could have ripped it all out and fitted a decent combi or unvented system...

Draw a schematic of the system, and load up on here... Can't seem to picture it in my head what you have.
From boiler to cylinder, valves, pumps, and the different levels they are on...

Thanks everybody that tried to help me and for all the advice, I made the flow to the coil about four inches higher than level. Once I filled up again this still didnt do anything, I called the manufacturer and asked if I needed a special cylinder they said I do cus the coil is not stretched for gravity and that's why it wasn't working. I was preparing myself to lay out for a new cylinder. I left the job and got a call a few hours later and they had hot water I couldn't believe it and now it's been a few days and had no call backs. It can only of been air and the restriction of the coil and eventually it just started circulating. I might not of made any money but I learnt a lot from this job, and if I go to gravity next time I will hopefully know the install as I think between us all we covered every problem that could exist on this system lol thank you all once again that was my first post and nice to know so many people are happy to help out

Thanks everybody that tried to help me and for all the advice, I made the flow to the coil about four inches higher than level. Once I filled up again this still didnt do anything, I called the manufacturer and asked if I needed a special cylinder they said I do cus the coil is not stretched for gravity and that's why it wasn't working. I was preparing myself to lay out for a new cylinder. I left the job and got a call a few hours later and they had hot water I couldn't believe it and now it's been a few days and had no call backs. It can only of been air and the restriction of the coil and eventually it just started circulating. I might not of made any money but I learnt a lot from this job, and if I go to gravity next time I will hopefully know the install as I think between us all we covered every problem that could exist on this system lol thank you all once again that was my first post and nice to know so many people are happy to help out
glad its sorted,its a headache and a ball twitcher when it goes pear,just remember nothing is ever strait forward with old systems so quote accordingly and explain why it might cost x because but if it does not etc

I've successfully used this type of cylinder on a gravity system. The problem seems to be that the coils are almost horizontal and tend to trap air. Get the air out and it works perfectly well.

Should never have a motorized valve on gravity??? also they recommend a cylinder with a coil that actually dips in the center to remove airlocks, however a standard cylinder piped up correctly should remove any airlocks!

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks John I had already bought two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
On the time to wash per dog, one minute would...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
I believe most kitchens come with a clause...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
Back