Have I been over charged for sink work? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Have I been over charged for sink work? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A

atthebar

Hi all! Nebie here.

Was just wondering if 100 pounds for 7 mins labour and one screw seems steep?

basically my landlord sent a plumber around who carried out this work and this is how much he is telling me that is the price. Also he is blaming me for the issue. The issue was the pipe under the sink came away slightly after removing plug and water came out all in the cupboard. I am sure that landlords should pay for this as we have been there for over a year and we use it normally. He said it only needed a screw and tightening which I could have done?

Thanks and loving the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you broke something by mis-using it then you pay. If it broke as a result of you using it in a normal manner (i.e. pulling the plug out) then it's normal wear and tear or it was installed wrong, then the landlord pays.
Look in your tenancy agreement for wear and tear to fixtures/fittings.
A price of £100 to come and tighten something up? I wouldn't sleep at night if I charged that..

Where are you from?

£100 seems steep, but most companies do charge 1 hours labour regardless like myself but I don't charge as much as that. I suspect your landlord is getting a cut himself out of that, but regardless it's your landlords issue not yours if you used it correctly.

IMO.

If you didn't know how to fix the screw. Or what to do then any price charged is just that

If you want it cheaper or free go to college, do three years training, get a couple of years experience. And then do it yourself next time for free

I'm not sayin that they were cheap nor expensive. I wasn't there and I didn't see the job

Also as far as who should pay for it. Read your tenancy agreement for conformation on that.

I thought it sounded wrong hence why I haven't paid. I was going to offer a gesture but only as we can't agree on the cause of it. he can't prove we did it except the plumber said, "These things don't happen on there own. Apparently it was some type of screw by the plug. And then I saw him tightening the underneath.

Upload a photo of what he did

I have't got a pic at the mo I am afraid. It was the big whit pipe under sink connected to it and I could feel the rubber washer between where it came away.

I'm guessing the screw that clamps the waste to the sink came loose, if that's what it was then it's possible that it wasn't installed correctly, or I suppose it could just happen over time. Either way, you didn't cause it, there's no wrong way to put a plug in and pull it out unless hammers are involved...
If your landlord carries on with this I'd be planning a house move asap.

If its the screw that holds the plug all secured in to the underside waste then sometimes the cheap fiitings can shear off inside. New screw probs won't do anything because the mechanism is all chewed up or damaged. He may have fitted a new sink waste gubbins.

either way, you did not pay for 7 minutes labour! It would have included call out or minimum first hour plus the parts used which you don't seem clear on. The plumber had to travel to the house & back remember... Parking maybe ? I hate the whole 7 minutes 100 pound maths that you did in your head...

Either way, you are a tenant! It's the landlords responsibility, unless you want to take that screw with you when you leave...

Last edited:
I'm guessing the screw that clamps the waste to the sink came loose, if that's what it was then it's possible that it wasn't installed correctly, or I suppose it could just happen over time. Either way, you didn't cause it, there's no wrong way to put a plug in and pull it out unless hammers are involved...
If your landlord carries on with this I'd be planning a house move asap.

My sentiments exactly. I think it's fair wear and tear and he is chancing his luck. The only screw I can see on the plug in sink is this shape () and nothing else and as said already the pipe under was the main problem and was causing the flooding. I am torn with what to do as also the landlord lives close and like most we are going through a family illness and just want a quiet life.

You are the tenant, you only pay for misuse, tell the landlord you want a written report describing your vandalism which you are going to use to get a second opinion on from an independent plumbing firm, there's no way you are liable unless you dismantled all the pipes to clear a blockage or something then you would be liable, your landlord is chancing his arm, DO NOT PAY OR OFFER TO PAY ANYTHING

either way, you did not pay for 7 minutes labour! It would have included call out or minimum first hour plus the parts used which you don't seem clear on. The plumber had to travel to the house & back remember... Parking maybe ? I hate the whole 7 minutes 100 pound maths that you did in your head...

Either way, you are a tenant! It's the landlords responsibility, unless you want to take that screw with you when you leave...

Totally agree with the above.

It's 7 minutes now, plus a good few years of training, the cost of liability insurance, van insurance, diesel, wear and tear of van and tools, the list is enormous.

Others have already addressed the question of whether it is landlord who should pay or you.

And you've had some good answers on price.
I am sorry to say that even though £100 seems a bit steep you (or anyone else reading this) should expect to pay something approaching that when you call out a plumber.
We are in Kent and we do work close to your area, we probably wouldn't have charged £100 but perhaps close to it.

I am happy to tell anyone that the way to get the best price from our company
(and I expect other plumbers too)
is consistently use the same person for all your work. Think of it a loyalty discount, we charge far better rates to those who get us in to service their boiler every year and have us do all their plumbing work.

Finally, did the plumber know you were paying the bill or has he sent the invoice to the landlord? It may be that he would have charged you a lower price (for many reasons).

I am going to get a second opinion as even on the phone the company I spoke to were very helpful and did say these things can happen on their own and he will come and confirm this and the price he said was high.

Also I will let you know how I get on. I am going to speak to them later and say that we are going to get a second opinion and will come back from there.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Gas Safe have limited powers and they act on...
Replies
Views
Back