Heating problem......... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating problem......... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all, hope you all had a good Xmas.

I've just popped over from the tilers forum as I have a problem with my central heating.
The boilers working and we have hot water, but no heating. Last night the heating didn't come on at 3pm as per normal, but about 8pm it suddenly sparang into life........then this morning nothing again.
Thanks in advance.

you will need to tell us all a bit more. Is it combi boiler or other. what sort. has anybody mucked around with the controls....wives usually or teenagers. is it in private house ir rental, is it even gas fired ? I am off to work but answer those questions and others will help....Imwill look later Rob Foster aka centralheatking

It's not a combination boiler we have a tank in the airing cupboard.
It's an old boiler an ideal classic.
The controls seem to be all in order.
It's my house I live in, not a rental.
Thanks.

Good morning,
If your boiler is working & you have hot water i would assume the pump is also okay.
Do you have a room thermostat? If so make sure its is 'calling' for heat.
It sounds to me as though you might have an issue with your motorised valve or another electrical control. I personally am not too hot on electrics but others on here are.
First thing to check is that your heating is being called for & not switched off/not asked to come on at this time.
Details of controls ect may help others to help you.

The boiler seems to be permanently on.
But still no heating, I've been in the airing cupboard and all the pipes are stone cold.
Will have a look at the controls in the airing cupboard, but all the lights are on for the heating and hot water...
Thanks.

Is your hot water cylinder absolutely heating from the boiler? Not from your immersion heater?
For the boiler to be 'permanently' on it must be dissipating heat to somewhere.
1) Is your hot water any hotter than usual?
2) What system do you have in place?
Do you have a gravity system?
Pressurised system? If so is there pressure?
Pictures or as much info as possible, there are a few possibilities but im just firing questions/answers in the air until you can give as much info as you can, without it i cant help much.

Take a pic of your airing cupboard and any controls you have. You say your boilers working and you have hot water but you also say all pipes are stone cold, this kind of contradicts what your saying. Taking a pic of your airing cupboard and telling us which pipes are cold, that will allow us to advise you further.

Last edited by a moderator:
There dose appear to have been some kind of leak at some point..

IMG_20190103_110417.jpg

All the pipes you can see are cold even though the boiler is fired up.
IMG_20190103_110448.jpg

From the pics I can see, a magna clean, top of the pump and your 3 port zone valve. If your boiler was working then the pipe from the top of the pump and through the magna clean should be getting hot so are your sure your boiler is firing up?

If your boiler is 100% working but the pipes in the pic are cold then i would be looking at either the pump been faulty or the magna clean is blocked up and preventing circulation.

If your boiler is 100% working but the pipes in the pic are cold then i would be looking at either the pump been faulty or the magna clean is blocked up and preventing circulation.
but the boiler would trip,out on the high stat. centralheatking
anyway we need to be carefull here is op gsr ? because all is ok so far but soon we might enter lala land !

The boiler is definitely firing up. Just no heating.
Im not going to touch anything myself, I have gas home care and there coming out tomorrow, just searching for any clues incase it was something simple..

Timer isn't calling at time of pics do the red lights light up when the program is on ?

When the boiler fires up, how long does it stay alight for? It can't be firing for long if those pipes in the pic are staying cold.

Sorry but something isn't adding up, having no heating but getting hot water would indicate a fault with either your 3 way valve, timer or thermostat. If your boiler was on for 4 hours running to your hot water, at some point in that time these pipes would be hot, the red line in the pic shows where the pipes should be hot based on what your saying

20190103_135151.jpg

Hi all, hope you all had a good Xmas.

Last night the heating didn't come on at 3pm as per normal, but about 8pm it suddenly sparang into life....then this morning nothing again.
Thanks in advance.
Isn`t this an important clue guy`s?
Andy, did anyone touch anything at 8pm? Anything at all?

Sorry but something isn't adding up, having no heating but getting hot water would indicate a fault with either your 3 way valve, timer or thermostat. If your boiler was on for 4 hours running to your hot water, at some point in that time these pipes would be hot, the red line in the pic shows where the pipes should be hot based on what your saying

View attachment 36137
Maybe the hot water is not working and we're only using what's stored from the short time it was on last night...
But we definitely still have hot water ATM.

Maybe the hot water is not working and we're only using what's stored from the short time it was on last night...
But we definitely still have hot water ATM.
Ok so do you not actually know if the boiler fires up or not? Do you know how to check because that would help us point you in the right direction.

Isn`t this an important clue guy`s?
Andy, did anyone touch anything at 8pm? Anything at all?
Believe you me, Im racking my brain trying to think...
All I know is it started to warm up about 8pm.......the heating switches on 3pm but till 8 we had nothing.
The only thing I did do yesterday morning was advance the heating and hot water at 5am reather than waiting for it to come on at 5:30..
But we did have heating that morning, but nothing when it was meant to come on at 3:30pm

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
Are you Gas Safe Registered? If not please...
Replies
Views
N
If it takes ages to heat up I’m guessing due...
Replies
Views
The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back