Heating problem | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Heating problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening folks! Can anyone please shed any light on my scenario i've found myself in? I went to a job yesterday afternoon to check 2 radiators which weren't heating properly and havent heated properly for years, They were both at the end of the line on a 33 year old system! The boiler is still running and the chap has never had to change the pump in all that time! Anyway the the flow to these 2 rads was fairly hot but nothing on the return, I suspected the pump may have got a bit tired or there could have been a block of some sort as pipes drop down wall to feed 1 rad then in concrete to the final rad. there were no drain offs so drained rad and connected hose to valves, system air locked and couldnt drain tank. syphoned tank to empty, then back filled up to tank to prove the flow and return had no restriction. Still no joy so today i changed the pump and still no better, the only way i could get good circulation was to turn off every rad apart the 2 in question only then did the return get hot, soon as i opened a few other rads a 1/4 turn the temp dropped to the same as before

The pipe run comes up out of boiler, accross and around bedroom, goal posts over three doors before dropping down a wall again to feed the last 2 rads

At the cylinder there is a manual selector valve for heating or hot water! No trvs, room stat or anything also no open vent, just gravity feed and expansion.

Hope i make sense to you, and will be most grateful for any kind of your suggestions. There seems to be some top heating lads here so thanks inadvance!!!

If the rads got hot with others turned off it normally suggests balancing.

How big is the system? What new pump did you fit? Pipework sizing okay, microbore?

Up & over bedroom, goal posts over 3 doorways before dropping to rads... Pfft... Sounds like they will never work with that pipe run!

Cheers lads

Its all in 22 and 15, no microbore!
I did try to balance by just cracking the valves enough to get heat into the other rads
pump was a wilo. not sure what model.

Cheers lads

Its all in 22 and 15, no microbore!
I did try to balance by just cracking the valves enough to get heat into the other rads
pump was a wilo. not sure what model.

Well I would have thought the bigger 15-60 would be needed to have any chance... You may have been sold a cheaper 15-50

A 33 year-old system.
Time to be considering a new one imo.
I think he's going for a new boiler and while i'm at it i think ill redo some of the pipework to minimise the goal posting. it's only a 9 rad system + 2 bed but as its a 16th century house its up and down everywhere

I think the up & over 3 doors has killed any chance of getting good flow round these rads especially on tank fed system. It's gonna be a huge resistance! Not to mention the run must be pretty long too

How do you get the air out of that pipework? Is there vents on each f& r above each doorway?

How do you get the air out of that pipework? Is there vents on each f& r above each doorway?
It's been a right ball ache, back filling was the only way, it took all day fannying about...all good fun though...haven't stop laughing all day til now

Why not just go up and down once? Still need vents at high points tho!! Have u tried wifi rads?

A sign of a good well piped up tank fed system is it fills up nicely, so I'm not surprised you had trouble lol!

Maybe I should post another thread....would anyone here recommend capping the feed and expansion and pressurising the bloody thing? again thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Will be a 15-60 then prob ups2 Green lights ?
Replies
Views
Yep, that's what I meant (as per attached...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
Back