Hello From Leicester | The Welcome Wagon :) | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter LDhiman
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 3K

Discuss Hello From Leicester in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LDhiman

hello guys, looked around the site a few time so thought its about time i signed up!

In short...ish

I live in Leicester i work full time as a designer and fabricator for a Theaming company (sounds better than it is)

Im 25.

Iv been doing a C&G level 2 plumbing course with New Carriers Skills (Would Not Recommend them) for about 18 months now. should finish around Jan. pretty annoyed with the lack of information on the course. I don't really feel ready to work on CH systems so no dowt i will be bugging you good folks for lots of information and tips.

look forward to chatting

Luke

you only learn once you start work, but try and do it with someone in the know first, welcome to the funny farm

Thanks for the welcomes :)

i live in blaby chap, you?

had a call from a training centre today. 4.5k and around 6 months from start to finish for gas safe

Thanks for the welcomes :)

i live in blaby chap, you?

had a call from a training centre today. 4.5k and around 6 months from start to finish for gas safe

But do you really think you will be safe to work on gas after 6 months. My course was bad enough at 1 year. All the learning takes place building your portfolio. And 4.5 k is a massive rip off.

I'm just off fosse road about 2m from city centre.

But do you really think you will be safe to work on gas after 6 months. My course was bad enough at 1 year. All the learning takes place building your portfolio. And 4.5 k is a massive rip off.

I'm just off fosse road about 2m from city centre.

No no not really I was surprised when he said it, problem is I know so little about it I don't know where to start.

i used to live just off Groby road, you been plumbing long?

No no not really I was surprised when he said it, problem is I know so little about it I don't know where to start.

i used to live just off Groby road, you been plumbing long?

I've not been at it all that long. But I've got a good old fella I know who's been behind me all the way.

If you don't have someone to learn from in the real world then you'll struggle.

I did the c n g level 2. Doesn't teach you much other than how to solder. You really have to get out there with someone and take everything in. Be proactive in your learning not just letting it come to you.

In college I learned how a rad valve works.
Now see if that remotely helps you when your out there on a microbore system with double inlet valves, a whole mess of spaghetti pipes under the floor and a cylinder with a blocked hot rod and no drain valve that works. Trying to do minor jobs can leave you in deep water.

I'm still learning everyday. I'm self employed, admittedly it's premature but I feel I have no choice. But I have a good bloke at the other end of the phone and all the helpful lads here.

I'm not trying to scare you off. Much the opposite. Just look local and find someone who you can volunteer with. Just ask if you can shadow them. That way your not a hinderence, your just there.

I did that with a bloke from little Thorpe. Your neck of the woods I think. Roy Lee Plumbing. I didn't do any work. Just watched. And I learned a great deal.

Good luck.

course may be 6 months, where are you going to get a gas portfolio completed, for that you need a gsr willing to take u on, not many will at present

course may be 6 months, where are you going to get a gas portfolio completed, for that you need a gsr willing to take u on, not many will at present

I've heard of companies putting lads through real quick. Like sending a couple of lads out with a GSR to do one job. That's what the 4.5k gets you. A ticket but no competence

yer im struggling as it is. not feeling very prepared as a plumber to be honest. its going to be a big step leaving my current job and getting into the plumbing side of things.

what did you do befor? or did you train after leaving school?

yer thats just down the road from me. :)

First thing to do is get some liability insurance just for those times when the bung pops out after you've cut the pipe.........then just take your time and prep before you undertake any job your not 100% comfortable with.
oh and good luck

yer im struggling as it is. not feeling very prepared as a plumber to be honest. its going to be a big step leaving my current job and getting into the plumbing side of things.

what did you do befor? or did you train after leaving school?

yer thats just down the road from me. :)

Worked in a pub, worked in a clothes shop, worked in a pound shop.

Laboured for a plasterer when I was 17 but only learned how not to plaster

In my opinion the first thing you need to do is see some plumbing in the real world.

And the first place to start that is YouTube.

Check out toms tips and plumber parts (even though plumber parts is proper annoying )

Then read in full, the Hints tips and secrets of plumbing thread on here.

Then gimme a shout and you can come and shadow me when I'm fitting a bathroom or something.

I'm not going to say I can teach you a lot, but you can see what it's like in the real world. And take it from me......is so much easier doing everything on the workbench in college.

Try soldering next time your at college by holding the very bottom of your blowtorch
With an out stretched arm and 2 foot of solder reeled off in the other out stretched arm and see how neat your pipework is

sorry for the no reply. I didn't see the second page :)

In my opinion the first thing you need to do is see some plumbing in the real world.

And the first place to start that is YouTube.

Check out toms tips and plumber parts (even though plumber parts is proper annoying )

Then read in full, the Hints tips and secrets of plumbing thread on here.

Then gimme a shout and you can come and shadow me when I'm fitting a bathroom or something.

I'm not going to say I can teach you a lot, but you can see what it's like in the real world. And take it from me......is so much easier doing everything on the workbench in college.

Try soldering next time your at college by holding the very bottom of your blowtorch
With an out stretched arm and 2 foot of solder reeled off in the other out stretched arm and see how neat your pipework is

Thanks that would be great! thank you! any chance to see/learn some more is greatly appreciated im working away most days until after xmas now but will give u a shout when im free, maybe see what you've got on?

i was thinking this too. that way im properly covered for any 'little' jobs i do

thats what i think this course is. i have no intentions of doing it. just seems 'to good to be true' as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
It’s called experience! You’re welcome, glad...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
J
bitter? This language won't be tolerated!
2 3
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
L
Better than a kick between the legs lol
Replies
Views
850Rick
Back