Help - boiling hot radiator! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help - boiling hot radiator! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KATE123

Hello - I am new and I am desperate.

I can't turn my radiator off. On the left handside there's a twisty thing with numbers 5 to 0 (5 being very hot and coloured red and zero being blue and off). When it was turned to zero before the radiator would turn off completely. In the last few weeks when I turn it to zero nothing happens and I can hear the hot water being pumped around and it's BOILING HOT.

I don't know what to do. Any advice will be hugely appreciated!

You can turn it off from the other side. Take the cap off and twist the flat pin down

Turn the heating off at the thermostat or timer for now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370379825.542458.jpg

Thanks - I have taken the lid/twisty thing off and now but I am not sure what I should turn (once I get an adjustable spanner). There's the metal base which is round and then a plastic smaller circle and then a metal small thin stick in the middle. Ah yes, kind of like your picture!

Is the metal stick the 'flat pin' that I should be twisting?

Have you taken the big head with numbers off? We call this the TRV head - or thermostatic radiator valve

try putting it back on, it may just have come loose.

The valve Kyle mentioned is at the other end.

Yea twist the thin flat part down and it will shut your radiator off.
Sounds like your trv (the other valve) is dead. You will need a plumber to replace it for you

Sorry cropps you posted before I could answer.

Try what croppie said first

I saw some rads like this last week! The thermostat head was worn out. Even on frost symbol it would not reach down to push pin shut on trv. Another brand trv head fitted & cured the problem, or buy a replacement head.

Maybe worth getting some one to check it out, only a simple job really.

Post where you are based KATE123 someone may be able to help you.

Like someone else posted, turn the heating off on the programmer... It will stop all heat going to rads then!

Thanks everyone really helpful.

In summary - I am going to try twisting the flat thing first, then I will try putting my TVR head back on, then replacing the TVR with a new one. If nothing works I will call my landlady and see if she can have someone fix it (she's always the last port of call and she can be very difficult).

It will probably be working just in time for the weather to turn!

Thank you once again!

Tell her it's health and safety and it needs doing. Young children can literally get stuck to dangerously hot radiators and end up scarred for life.
Demand a plumber at least comes and has a look.

take the trv top off and press it gently with the head of your hammer a few times could be just slightly still I usualy replace them when the become stiff but realising the pin could last for years if its that

If you can locate the temperature dial on your boiler you can turn that down as a temporary fix until you get a plumber to change your thermostat on your radiator. Doing so will lower the heating temperature all together.

Landlords & tenants, not an effecient heating system!

my bro in London has a 3 storey house, he lives in one room and controls just his rad by the trv like the op, the boiler & hot water is on 24/7 all year round! Crazy!

take the trv top off and press it gently with the head of your hammer a few times could be just slightly still I usualy replace them when the become stiff but realising the pin could last for years if its that

Aslong as the pin doesn't blow out and then she's in a right mess not knowing what to do with scalding hot water spraying everywhere

heard that story a few times kyle never had it happen to me though luckily enough!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately i'm away offshore with work now...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have a combi-boiler system and while I...
Replies
Views
Allan 1234
A
J
What is the make of the boiler?
Replies
Views
Not if the cylinder is already satisfied, and...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back