Help deciding on new boiler combi | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help deciding on new boiler combi in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthlock

I've had a few quotes on getting my back boiler replaced with a combi and have a good quote on a Vaillant Pro 28 or Plus 831, but the price difference between the two is almost £400 - looking around on the web I've noticed the Plus 831 sells for less than £200 more than the Pro 28 so I'm not sure what to do. Should I try knocking the quote down or is it worth the extra £400? From what I can see from the specs there isn't difference other than the flow rate.
He has also quoted me £160 for an upgrade from the timeSwitch160 to the 392f - is this worth is too?

The quote itself seems quite reasonable as it's less than a quote I've had for the Ideal Logic 30+, and comes with 5 year warranty and 5 years free servicing.

I've had a few quotes on getting my back boiler replaced with a combi and have a good quote on a Vaillant Pro 28 or Plus 831, but the price difference between the two is almost £400 - looking around on the web I've noticed the Plus 831 sells for less than £200 more than the Pro 28 so I'm not sure what to do. Should I try knocking the quote down or is it worth the extra £400? From what I can see from the specs there isn't difference other than the flow rate.
He has also quoted me £160 for an upgrade from the timeSwitch160 to the 392f - is this worth is too?

The quote itself seems quite reasonable as it's less than a quote I've had for the Ideal Logic 30+, and comes with 5 year warranty and 5 years free servicing.

I would be wary of the guy if his quote for a EcoTEC was cheaper than the equivalent logic, unless the logic quote was very high. I would definitely go for a plus over a pro (full brass waterset, siphonic trap, better pump etc).

Personally I always fit Honeywell controls, generally cheaper and easier to use than manufacturers, so can't help with that.

5 years free servicing?? Is it a large company? Sounds like an extremely good, if a little unlikely, offer.

He's only a small company but is Vaillant Advance installer so might get better deals on them. Seems straight enough just wasnt sure if the plus was worth the money over the pro. If the difference was only 200 I'd do it no prob.
£1800 for the pro, £2180 for the plus - includes all installation and new gas pipe run from meter. That sound good? The Logic was quoted at £2440

1800 to convert a back boiler to combi? I take it there's more info on the works that will be carried out? Will there be a 22mm gas supply run to new boiler position? Is system being flushed? Is there a magnaclean being fitted? Scale protection? Don't just think of the boiler, think of how long you want to keep the boiler in working order. Also try not to base the price on just the boiler. Did you get any gut feeling about either of the people offering prices?
5 years free serving is a great offer. But let's say he fits 40 boilers a year. After 5 years that's 200 free services he'd be doing. It's not viable and he'd be out of business in no time. Unfortunately if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

both prices include new 22mm gas pipe from understairs to airing cupboard in bedroom, system flush and inhibitor, condensate drain pipe and flue through roof. He's quoted a Fernox TF1 filter on top for £140. I'm taking the servicing as a bonus rather than a deal maker.

Vaillant advance is just a label given to installers who've been on the course. Realistically it means nothing other than the extended warranty.

I'd say the quote seems too cheap tbh. And the service will be an FGA in the flue once a year and a stamp in the book.

I'm a vaillant installer and I've never been on the course! Work that one out!

I agree with tbs it does seem far too cheap for a conversion and an ecotec. and 5 years free servicing? a little odd too

I know it seems a good deal (maybe too good) but that's why I'm interested in it. I use seems to only install Vaillant so I assume he has some deal buying them, and with an extended warranty. Assuming that he's kosher (and it's a chance I take), is the nearly £400 price difference worth a Plus 831???

I like the pro better than the plus, boiler aside, if there's one thing I've learnt in my relatively short life, it's that for the most part, you get what you pay for.

I'm a vaillant installer and I've never been on the course! Work that one out!

Must have slipped through the cracks lol.

Discounts are arranged with supplier, not manufacturer (unless you're a ginormous co) so brand loyalty is not an issue affecting price. He pays the same as the rest of us.

There are 2 types of company in trades. First contact companies get in, get paid and get out fast. The quote you have sounds a bit like this to me.

Use a trusted tradesman who cares about getting your repeat custom ad recommendations. This way everything should be done to the standards you want.

I think this thread has gone off track a bit.
Lets all forget about the actual price and assume I've just had a quote everyone thinks is right - is it worth paying the £400 extra and getting the Plus 831 instead of the Pro28? Rawr has already said he likes the Pro better but said you get what you pay for...so is the Plus 831 £400 worth better?

I think this thread has gone off track a bit.
Lets all forget about the actual price and assume I've just had a quote everyone thinks is right - is it worth paying the £400 extra and getting the Plus 831 instead of the Pro28? Rawr has already said he likes the Pro better but said you get what you pay for...so is the Plus 831 £400 worth better?

Yes. 2 years extra warranty for a start.

They both come with 5 years according to the plumber - I think it's a scheme until the end of the year (so kinda need to get it done quickly)

Well, he's wrong. Another reason not to trust him I guess. Vaillant advance installers get 3 years on Pro (usually 1) and 5 years on Plus (usually 2)

TBS is spot on, for £400 I'd want more than an extra 2 year warranty on an already good reliable boiler and a slightly better flow rate, 831 is a 24kw boiler too compared to a 28kw (yay for google) personally I'd save my £400 and buy a tai bride

Well, he's wrong. Another reason not to trust him I guess. Vaillant advance installers get 3 years on Pro (usually 1) and 5 years on Plus (usually 2)

Nope, you're wrong this time I'm afraid.

It is usually 3 years on the pro and 5 years on the plus, but Vaillant are running a new promotion until the end of the year, which gives you 5 years on their entire ecoTEC range.

Here you go, if you don't believe me.

[DLMURL="http://www.vaillantthinksahead.co.uk/5-year-guarantee/"]5-Year Boiler Guarantee | Vaillant Guarantee | Vaillant Thinks Ahead[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
TBS is spot on, for £400 I'd want more than an extra 2 year warranty on an already good reliable boiler and a slightly better flow rate, 831 is a 24kw boiler too compared to a 28kw (yay for google) personally I'd save my £400 and buy a tai bride

24kw to heating, 31kw to DHW hence better flow rate.

Kind of hard to make an exact comparison as they are coming from 2 different installers. Why don't you ask each of them to quote on the alternative and see what they say.

Then make a decision on who you would rather do the job. Saving a few hundred could be the worst decision you make if the installer doesn't do there job right, and a quality boiler is only as good as the way it is installed. There is a huge variety of skill level in this industry and price doesn't reflect quality in terms of physical ability.

Both quotes are from the same guy. Job is the same only charging nearly £400 extra for the 831. I know they have a better flow rate but will I really notice that much (average 3 bed house, 1 bath room and electric show). The only difference I can see (as a layman) is that the 831 has better diagnostics checks and might be simpler to service/repair, but since both have 5 years warranty should I really be too concerned as an end user? I'm planning on having the Fernox filter installed too so should hopefully help keep the boiler running smoothly.

I've also had a quote from a different installer for a Worcester-Bosch 34CDI for almost the same as the Vaillant 831. Would this be a better choice, or again should I save £400 and go for the Pro 28?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, my bad, I thought you had 2 different installers in.

I think the 831 is a better boiler but £400 may be a bit steep unless he's getting an offer price on the pro at the moment, I can't see why he would try and rip you off on the 831 as the job's the same (in fact easier on the 831) regardless.

I'd have a vaillant over a Worcester any day

Tough one, in your position I think I may be tempted to save the £400 given the 5 year warranty offer on the pro.

Nope, you're wrong this time I'm afraid.

It is usually 3 years on the pro and 5 years on the plus, but Vaillant are running a new promotion until the end of the year, which gives you 5 years on their entire ecoTEC range.

Well blow me down. I'm obviously not fitting enough vaillants. Everyone wants the logic+

id go for the pro there very little diference reaely from an end users point of view i use the pro where its not seen and the plus if its on showdue to the lack of a front panel on the pro i didnt think the pro came with five years warranty usually 3 and five for the plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
Main eco, Baxi 600 or 800 5, 7 or 10 years...
Replies
Views
Hi John, This was actually a house I'm...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
Back