Help to marry up a cylinder and boiler. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help to marry up a cylinder and boiler. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hoteldave

Hi, I am completely modernising a property and I believe in buying all materials myself. The plumbers still get to do all the work (without making a profit on the equipment). What I wanted to know was, I am thinking of buying a Tempest unvented, indirect, 200lt Cylinder (as the price seems keen) what would be the best match for the boiler, plumber has suggested a 28kw system boiler. What is reasonable and marries up with a tempest?? or Perhaps somebody out there has a outlet and could do me a good price for the boiler or both.
Thanks for any help.
Dave

Brilliant choice hoteldave! I think you should buy a B&Q last in the line offer Cheep as Chips special!!!! (said with tongue placed firmly in cheek)

Hope the plumbers are really thankful you are allowing them to do all the work.

How about one of these, maybe 2 or 3 in series.

images

So to summise....Cheap materials, no mark-up and free advice! There is a golden rule labour only: the mark up is not there just for fun and MX-5's, it's also for when there is an issue with a boiler for example and we all go back out in our own time, for free, to sort it out because this is our job as a decent tradesman. However, if a "custard" (thanks Gas Man) supplies their own eqpt and it fails........

The fact that you are on here asking about what the best match up would be proves that you should just let the plumber you are going to use get all the materials and just pay what he asks. It'll be better in the long run, if you but all the stuff yourself you'll end up missing things and the job will just take longer and you'll end up paying out what you saved in the first place.

I thik you should just trust your plumber, any decent one will not rip you off and charge the going rate. You wouldn't go into Kwik-Fit and ask for your brake pads to be changed but say you are going to supply the brake pads and only pay for fitting

Plus I think you may struggle to get some to work for labour only.

Totally agree villa_tom ... I stride clear of the none trusting ... what about screws, flux, solder, fittings,etc.that's just the material things, ???????????? The materials may only cost 'X' but expertise is priceless! Labour only buys you just that! AND if your approach is for labour only then you may well miss out on the expertise!

I reckon he would be sat on a stool behind you with a stopwatch and paying by the minute!

I like labour only. Charge a lot more per hour/day and make a fortune when you have to sit there whilst they sort out the horlicks they've made at buying the gear, all whilst the clock is running. Always make sure I have plenty of paperwork to catch up on in the van! :) :)

Totally agree villa_tom ... I stride clear of the none trusting ... what about screws, flux, solder, fittings,etc.that's just the material things, ???????????? The materials may only cost 'X' but expertise is priceless! Labour only buys you just that! AND if your approach is for labour only then you may well miss out on the expertise!

Exactly, I'm sure people think we get our bits and bobs like screws etc for nothing. Experiance is everything in this game, I am fully qualified etc etc but I don't do many installs and I would need help with what the best to but would be. I don't know why some people think they can just walk into a merchants and know what they need to complete the job. Sometime when I go the merchants to get things that I have never used before for a job I have never done before I look like a right fool trying to order stuff and explain what it is that I need. I would love to see what some people with no knowledge look like.............or maybe its just me:confused:

I have to agree with the guys on here. If I was employing a plumber I would want an idea of material costs myself and to research the materials options. I would however expect to let my plumber provide the agreed products.

I like labour only. Charge a lot more per hour/day and make a fortune when you have to sit there whilst they sort out the horlicks they've made at buying the gear, all whilst the clock is running. Always make sure I have plenty of paperwork to catch up on in the van! :) :)

You got a point there!
Me: You need a couple of yorkshire number 9's for the flow and return mate
Cust: What are they? Where do I get em? Can you go an get em at trade for me?
Me: Sorry mate, labour only on this job!

Last edited:
, it's a tough crowd tonight!!:D

Its "Paybaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!" LOL

How many times have you wanted to tell a punter extracting the urine that they are doing just that?

Well whether 'Hoteldave' meant it or not, he crossed the urine extraction line!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
he's not done bad. created 18 likes and given us all a laugh.

Its "Paybaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!" LOL

How many times have you wanted to tell a punter extracting the urine that they are doing just that?

Well whether 'Hoteldave' meant it or not, he crossed the urine line!!!

Got to be the hardest part of the job! Sat there wi a big daft grin on yer face, thinkin of that first pint and nodding in agreeance cos he aint paid you yet!

you lucky aint you OP ,dont ever come back here as we all love this type of people ....

when was the last time you got to your local pub on sunday with your own wine and lamb shank and say to waiter

I am only paying for to use your wine glass and chef to cook it for free if possible

I hope you fined some one to install your cylinder and boiler and he charges you half the usual price and then for the rest of

the next 5 winters you go through lots of cold days and cold showers ......just cos you thing your more clever then

your local plumber who needs to make living as to feed his/her family and pay his/her bills just like you

next time dont be the clever one and try get it all for next to nothing and think you will get some one else after to put it right

will cost a lot !

Last edited:
you lucky aint you OP ,dont ever come back here as we all love this type of people ....

when was the last time you got to your local pub on sunday with your own wine and lamb shank and say to waiter

I am only paying for to use your wine glass and chef to cook it for free if possible

I hope you fined some one to install your cylinder and boiler and he charges you half the usual price and then for the rest of

the next 5 winters you go through lots of cold days and cold showers ......just cos you thing your more clever then

your local plumber who needs to make living as to feed his/her family and pay his/her bills just like you

next time dont be the clever one and try get it all for next to nothing and think you will get some one else after to put it right

will cost a lot !

Mutts Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (pinched that one from this site)

Same as the canines cojones Stan.

Gentlemen, let us adjourn to the Arms to discuss this weeks first Donut of the Day.

I'm starting to think we're gonna have to start an overall competition!

lol I think it was me that mentioned the muts nuts, but this guy is taking the james blunt lol

for the OP your friendly neighbourhood plumber will probably get materials cheaper, faster and hassle free unlike you who will look like a right muppet at the merchants trying to get stuff you dont even know what it is or what size of pipe you need, how much etc etc.

Also I wouldnt be suprised if you end up paying MORE with the way your wanting to do things

stop watching rogue traders and thinking were all like that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
You should be able to pull a bit more out eg...
Replies
Views
I think a lot of us suspect your cylinder is...
Replies
Views
C
If you haven't done so already, try 'fishing'...
Replies
Views
One thing I might add. We too are in a similar...
Replies
Views
Back