HELP to re-commission a Worcester Greenstar 25Si/30Si Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss HELP to re-commission a Worcester Greenstar 25Si/30Si Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hillclimber

I recently purchased a preowned Holiday house fitted with the above boiler for hot water & heating.

To move the unit (Its weighs 11 ton!) I had to disconnect the gas supply (two 300psi cone seat unions) from the 2 x47kg LPG bottles plus the pressure regulators to prevent damage during transit and then reconnect when the unit was in place.

I called a Gas qualified engineer to re-commission the boiler and issue a landlords certificate.

He refused to do this since I, a non qualified engineer, had touched the pipework.

I need a qualified engineer who would undertake the recommissioning, even if he needs to disconnect & reconnect the unions and regulators ??????

I live in Long Stratton area (Nr.Norwich) and need urgent help since 1st tenants arrive soon.

tbh the poster is in the wrong and the gas engineer has followed the regs as who is to know who's done what before he arrived on scene. A sensible owner would have got the techie to disconnect prior to move then reconnect the lot on completion of the move. Last two lpg systems I have been too both got IDed, and then re supplied with bottles moved, boiler reconnected correctly and recommissioned. Could be the lad who turned up didnt like what he saw and ran away, doesnt make him a douchebag imho, just careful of his bum.

Thanks for the comments, I am the original poster of this.

I am a 70 YO engineer who has, since retirement built and raced two single seat race cars, converting one of these from carb to fuel injection using 3 bar methanol fuel pressure and a programmable ECU. I was trained as a refrigeration engineer (Ammonia) at 20 bar and I find it incredulous that these proven skills are not accepted in a 1 bar or less LPG environment. The "Qualified" Gas engineer who visited did not even realise that the high tech pressure regulators (1 bar to 37mbar) could be manually adjusted for correct downstream pressure or that soldered copper pipes could be used for low pressure distribution.

What is the UK coming to?? or is it a matter of being able to tick box's - again.

I recently purchased a preowned Holiday house fitted with the above boiler for hot water & heating.

To move the unit (Its weighs 11 ton!) I had to disconnect the gas supply (two 300psi cone seat unions) from the 2 x47kg LPG bottles plus the pressure regulators to prevent damage during transit and then reconnect when the unit was in place.

I called a Gas qualified engineer to re-commission the boiler and issue a landlords certificate.

He refused to do this since I, a non qualified engineer, had touched the pipework.

I need a qualified engineer who would undertake the recommissioning, even if he needs to disconnect & reconnect the unions and regulators ??????

I live in Long Stratton area (Nr.Norwich) and need urgent help since 1st tenants arrive soon.

You could be qualified to build the space shuttle. Doesn't mean you're competent or qualified to work on gas. The law is very clearly defined on this matter. It's far from being a box ticking exercise.

And yes, regulator pressure can, theoretically, be adjusted. This would be sticking a plaster over another issue you may or may not realise you have.

I am a 70 YO engineer who has, since retirement built and raced two single seat race cars, converting one of these from carb to fuel injection using 3 bar methanol fuel pressure and a programmable ECU. I was trained as a refrigeration engineer (Ammonia) at 20 bar and I find it incredulous that these proven skills are not accepted in a 1 bar or less LPG environment. The "Qualified" Gas engineer who visited did not even realise that the high tech pressure regulators (1 bar to 37mbar) could be manually adjusted for correct downstream pressure or that soldered copper pipes could be used for low pressure distribution.

What is the UK coming to?? or is it a matter of being able to tick box's - again.

Yes but can I see your gas safe card.
In a previous life I worked on jet engine parts from rolls royce and also developmental parts for the new XWB boeing.

However I cannot fly a plane

I still think the original engineer could have been a little more understanding and inspected the regulator and unions but, you know, maybe i am too soft...

You got that one right to some extent, unfortunately.

Ring around after the holidays. You will find someone to do it but please don't do it yourself.

Dont think he can otherwise he would.
Holiday parks normally need to see paperwork for their insurance from caravan owners ??

I'm qualified to service and repair diving equipment and cylinders ,used to 300 bar I'm also gas safe qualified for natural gas, that doesn't mean I'm competent on LPG and neither are you. This is a job for an LPG engineer best leave it to the experts

nothing worse than someone warbling in your ear about this n that, probably why he left.

Strongly recommend that the op now reads the forum rules and the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

The op probably gets the point now however.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
All boilers will need parts replacing...
Replies
Views
The Honeywell frost stat eg the separate old one
Replies
Views
I hoping for the best.
Replies
Views
Old Account
O
34cdi would suit you there will be alterations...
Replies
Views
C
Replies
Views
Back