Help with a DIY hose pipe connection through washing machine outlet | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help with a DIY hose pipe connection through washing machine outlet in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

S

samosa

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to install a hose pipe connection using the washing machine cold water outlet without having to drill for an outdoor tap.

I bought a plastic Y-connector to split the outlet from the first valve into two separate outlets i.e one to the washing machine and the other as a source for the hose pipe. I then connected another machine hose to the second outlet and added a a valve at the end to act as switch but this is where i have come unstuck because there is no flow.On removing the valve there is flow hence my predicament. Ideally i would want the two outlets to be independent and this where the valve would be handy.

I noticed that the second valve i had bought had a valve check, could this be the problem? if i replaced it with one that didn't have a valve check would it work? or is there an underlying problem to my plan.

please assist.

thank you in advance

Could the check valve be on the wrong way? And as said above, just get a proper tap fitted. NOT ONE OF THOSE DIY KITS FOR £10!

They even have a little podium in b n q displaying these kits. Showing how easy it is to install your own outside tap.

Usually ends in a visit to this forum from the have a go hero lol

No disrespect intended to op

I refuse to fit those kits, I should really be refusing to replace them when they go wrong too.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

The outside tap was my initial idea and the most obvious choice, but i live in rented house and the landlord (housing association) claims that it's not covered by them under their T and C's so i would have to foot the bill myself if i wanted it done properly by a professional without necessarily having a reimbursment.

I should also point out that the hose pipe would solely be used for the car which is not every often. So i wanted to use an easy cost effective way that would not involve drilling the wall (not that i have a drill anyway :wacko:).

I will try and upload a picture but i reckon the valve is in the right way. I was going through screwfix( where i bought the valve) and i realized that it has a valve check so i was hoping that if i replaced with one that doesn't it might solve the issue (fingers crossed)

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

The outside tap was my initial idea and the most obvious choice, but i live in rented house and the landlord (housing association) claims that it's not covered by them under their T and C's so i would have to foot the bill myself if i wanted it done properly by a professional without necessarily having a reimbursment.

I should also point out that the hose pipe would solely be used for the car which is not every often. So i wanted to use an easy cost effective way that would not involve drilling the wall (not that i have a drill anyway :wacko:).

I will try and upload a picture but i reckon the valve is in the right way. I was going through screwfix( where i bought the valve) and i realized that it has a valve check so i was hoping that if i replaced with one that doesn't it might solve the issue (fingers crossed)

You NEED a double check valve to protect against backflow, by doing it the way you intend you're going against water regulations. Unless you're planning to move I'd consider getting a qualified plumber to fit an outside tap. He'll fit the necessary isolation valve and double check valve in accordance with current regulations.

It's the sensible and healthy choice to have it done right.

WP_000044.jpg

Attachments

• WP_000044_zpsd907e050.jpg
    WP_000044_zpsd907e050.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 58
Sam,
Your just asking for trouble using that kit you've shown us. Please listen to professional plumbers or if you do use this kit. Each time you use it get some1 else to keep an eye on this kit while your using it.

Gone to so many where this has caused hundreds, if not thousands of pounds damage to houses. Then you'll ask yourself 'was it worth it'

Plumbers would fit you a outside tap for £50ish or if you supply materials they could charge at least £30 in labour depending on time and if it was straight forward or not

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To add to this, ensure the discharge hose...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
If you measure the internal dia you should be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If your long inlet hose is in one piece, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-standpipe-a...
Replies
Views
Back