Help with heating choice for extension | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help with heating choice for extension in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

1.4kw needed to heat the space

Your rad works out around the 550-600w

You need k2 around the 1.2m by 400mm

1.4kw needed to heat the space

Your rad works out around the 550-600w

You need k2 around the 1.2m by 400mm
Many thanks for confirming. I'm guessing you get rads for bay windows which can bend round the bay? Because I'll need a k2 type which can effectively bend round the bay wall to get it to 1.2m in length.

Just for my own knowledge, is there any other solution or remedy to heat this room properly and quickly?

Many thanks for confirming. I'm guessing you get rads for bay windows which can bend round the bay? Because I'll need a k2 type which can effectively bend round the bay wall to get it to 1.2m in length.

Just for my own knowledge, is there any other solution or remedy to heat this room properly and quickly?

Yes but there not cheap and need to be specially bent

Other than insulation, no other than electric heating

Yous say it's a timber joist floor - I'm assuming not insulated nor airtight then?

If you want a reasonably cheap way of draughtproofing and insulating that floor at the same time, perhaps 1/2" Celotex or similar on top of the floorboards (joints can be taped or sealed with expanding foam) covered by a floating floor on top of the Celotex would do. Ideally you'd take the boards up and insulate below, but if you want to avoid the hassle... Insulating a floor doesn't make a huge difference to heat losses, but draughtproofing will make a huge difference.

You'll struggle to keep a draughty room warm - and having cold feet will always make you feel uncomfortable, so I would always recommend a floor be draughtproof and insulated if you have a chance. My logic is that if you insulate and draughtproof first, you won't need so much heat input anyway.

Yous say it's a timber joist floor - I'm assuming not insulated nor airtight then?

If you want a reasonably cheap way of draughtproofing and insulating that floor at the same time, perhaps 1/2" Celotex or similar on top of the floorboards (joints can be taped or sealed with expanding foam) covered by a floating floor on top of the Celotex would do. Ideally you'd take the boards up and insulate below, but if you want to avoid the hassle... Insulating a floor doesn't make a huge difference to heat losses, but draughtproofing will make a huge difference.

You'll struggle to keep a draughty room warm - and having cold feet will always make you feel uncomfortable, so I would always recommend a floor be draughtproof and insulated if you have a chance. My logic is that if you insulate and draughtproof first, you won't need so much heat input anyway.
As far as I remember when the house was renovated a few years ago it was a timber floor and we put laminate flooring on top. I don't think we added any insulation or did anything specific on making it airtight.

Just to be clear, you're saying something like 1/2" Celotex on top of the floorboards and then put the laminate flooring down on that? What part of that is draught proofing it?

As far as I remember when the house was renovated a few years ago it was a timber floor and we put laminate flooring on top. I don't think we added any insulation or did anything specific on making it airtight.

Just to be clear, you're saying something like 1/2" Celotex on top of the floorboards and then put the laminate flooring down on that? What part of that is draught proofing it?
The Celotex and the taped or foamed joints would draughtproof it. But I wouldn't recommend putting laminate floor straight on top of Celotex in case the Celotex deforms too much and breaks the laminate floor. I was thinking a floating floor Chipboard or whetever on top of the Celotex. In practice, laminate floors usually would have fairly tight joints so I'd be surprised if your floor were especially draughty and probably isn't worth the hassle of the insulation if the floor is already free from draughts.

The Celotex and the taped or foamed joints would draughtproof it. But I wouldn't recommend putting laminate floor straight on top of Celotex in case the Celotex deforms too much and breaks the laminate floor. I was thinking a floating floor Chipboard or whetever on top of the Celotex. In practice, laminate floors usually would have fairly tight joints so I'd be surprised if your floor were especially draughty and probably isn't worth the hassle of the insulation if the floor is already free from draughts.
OK thank you. I think for me the two primary contributors to the issue are unusually tall windows which I can't do much about and a radiator which isn't big or powerful enough, which I will aim to do something about.

Similar plumbing topics

C
If your happy you can just use that one...
Replies
Views
N
Agree with the above insulation and windows...
Replies
Views
Thanks for letting us know.
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I've never seen error codes displayed. Sorry...
Replies
Views
Back