Help with noisy hot water heating loop | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help with noisy hot water heating loop in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

I have a sealed S plan system which is noisy BUT only when i have the hot water on alone. If i have the central heating and the hot water on together there is no noise but as soon as i switch the central heating off it sounds as if there is air or something moving inside the pipes (sounds a bit like a marble moving around the pipe!).

I have a separate issue where I am getting a small amount of air in the highest rad (it needs bleeding for about 2-3 seconds each week even though i can find absolutely no leaks and ive checked everywhere!).

Any ideas on either issue?

Could be too much flow through the cylinder coil (does the noise sound like somthing is vibrating or is it more of a ting ting noise)

Second question do you have to top up the system pressure twice a week ish ?

Excellent, you both sound like you know what you're talking about!

1. The noise is like a Ting Ting, not vibration
2. Despite a very small leak the system pressure does not visibly seem to drop. I checked it when cold over a week or so and could not see a visibly change, it remained bang on 1 bar. (It obviously drops slightly if i bleed the radiator)

3. There is a bypass valve fitted.
4. There is also a balancing valve to the coil (i haven't touched this so not sure how open it is).

Thanks again

Marc

Seems like you might need to put some more inhibitor in your system

The valve on the coil is it a red gate valve ?

Shaun,

Yes, the valve is a red gate valve. I've recently put in some new inhibitor (and leak sealant) whilst removing a radiator to decorate - would this really make a differecne to the "tinging" noise?

Last Plumber,

Its a regular Worcester boiler with an external pump. (Its oil rather than gas as we live in the sticks but dont think this makes a difference.

Depends if you drained the whole system could be air trapped in the coil

Shaun,

The system hasn't been drained recently so dont think its air trapped in the coil. There is manual an air oulet valve next to cylinder which i checked and no air in there. The tinging noise is coming from the pipes near the boiler that feed the coil

Last plumber,

The pump is on max speed setting - its a big house though with 15 radiators.

We moved into the house 6 months ago and as soon as we moved in i had the old 1 pipe system replaced with a 2 pipe system. The noise (and also a small amount of air somehow getting into the system) have been present since then. Unfortunately plumber who fitted the system has now moved and cant get hold of him.

Whats weird is that:

a) the noise from pipes is only present when the hot water is on alone. As soon as i switch the central heating on it disappears?!

b) Its a pressured system with no visible leaks so how come i have to bleed one of the rads for 2-3 seconds every week?! I've also checked the expansion tank overflow and there is no water discharge from there.

Right, I have **** the gate valve off slightly and it seems to have stopped the noise! Thank you all.

Anyone any idea on how i can be getting air into a sealed system but dont have a leak? only a small amount but its there...

It may not be air, it could be hydrogen !
By product of corrosion ?
Did you have rads changed when pipe work was changed to two pipe?

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds like you’ve gone from low pressure to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could be the washer in the tap itself.
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back