Help with unvented cylinders central heating | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Help with unvented cylinders central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with a lever valve on hot outlet at all. Some people will do this where they have a balanced cold coming off a the combination valve so your not turning the hot and cold off together all the time when using the lever valve before the combination valve.

When installing unvented I fit a lever valve on the inlet to combi valve. This enables easy servicing. I then fit one to the balanced cold AND the hot outlet. This enables you to isolate just the hot, or cold for maintenance.

The big mistake I see very regularly, is a valve on the cold feed to the cylinder! Between the combi valve and cyl. This wil cut out the expansion vessel and expansion relief in one go.

Do many people fit hotun?

Tbh. Something massively wrong if one of the relief valves are passing that amount. I bet the standard ones can't take that either.

Tbh. Something massively wrong if one of the relief valves are passing that amount. I bet the standard ones can't take that either.

Just fully open and stnd tun should be fine

Done my unvented in the end so all qualed now however, before my course i rang gas safe who can advise on building reg G3 who said that as long as your not installing an unvented cylinder, then it is completly fine to work on it and change components!!! This is how companies get around it......although the instrucror on the course said they are talking Rubbish!!! Very grey! Non the less i have the qual now

Your tutor is correct

If gas safes logic transfers that means you can repair gas appliance eg boilers without needing to be qualified

So all hot water installations are notifiable...
unless testing and adjustment is not possible, or would not affect the energy efficiency of the fixed building service
Surely, then, that would apply to a normal, old fashioned, DHW cylinder? What can I adjust and test except the thermostat? The main energy efficiency (seeing as the cylinder always comes pre-insulated) would be in the proper horizontal run before the vent and the pipe lagging; the safety lies in the design of pipework. Both of which would be 'tested' by visual inspection, certainly not 'adjusted' in any way.
If I'm wrong, of course, then this makes a mockery of the C&G level 2 assessment in which you must design, install, and remove a hot water cylinder and header tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Thanks again for your help. Having got hold of...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Back