Honeywell Valve Not Working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Honeywell Valve Not Working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Hey folks,

I have a Nest thermostat which I would like to use the hot water function. The problem I am having is that when I select hot water, the Honeywell valve won't open. It has never actually worked since the system was installed about 6 months ago. I just left the valve open, but now we are approaching the hotter weather, I would very much like the option to just heat the water on demand rather than the entire house.

My electrician was out yesterday and did spot a dead cable in the Nest control box. He replaced this cable and tested all the other ones, so I don't think this is an electrical issue. I am leaning towards a DOA Honeywell valve. I was thinking of just buying a replacement motor to see if that worked as it seems an awful lot of hassle to get the whole valve replaced. I will likely have to get the entire system drained and pay a plumber to come out and fix it.
Before I try a new motor, is there any default setting on the valve, or on the thermostat that I am overlooking? I am using a Warmflow unvented heating system. Thanks all!

20180417_192206.jpg
20180417_192214.jpg

Also. Did we not instruct you about this before? Sound very familiar.
Haha good memory! The last post was that I couldn't get any hot water at all. Opening the valve sorted that. Secondly, my plumber advised at the time to get the wiring checked. I only did that recently because I was in no rush to get the hot water working without the heat. Now that the wiring has been checked and fixed, the valve still won't open.

Haha good memory! The last post was that I couldn't get any hot water at all. Opening the valve sorted that. Secondly, my plumber advised at the time to get the wiring checked. I only did that recently because I was in no rush to get the hot water working without the heat. Now that the wiring has been checked and fixed, the valve still won't open.
If the nest is putting power to the valve and the valve isn’t opening then it is a new valve I’m afraid and I know you have disliked the post above but Chalked is right. Either of the 2 professionals you have had in so far should have been able to test what the faulty component was. He wasn’t being mean. Just trying to save you money in the long run.

If the nest is putting power to the valve and the valve isn’t opening then it is a new valve I’m afraid and I know you have disliked the post above but Chalked is right. Either of the 2 professionals you have had in so far should have been able to test what the faulty component was. He wasn’t being mean. Just trying to save you money in the long run.

Thanks. I've ordered a new valve anyway.

I've removed my 'disagree' vote. I've known my electrician for years and I've no reason to doubt his competency. The plumber was just a rushed job which I'm disappointed with, so he's maybe half right.

I'll let you know how the new valve turns out. Thanks!

Sorry but did no one check if there was power going to the valve motor itself with their multimeter ?
Yeah they did. I checked with my electrician today. I just thought of something. When I switch the hot water on, should the oil boiler not ignite at least? It isn't doing anything. The oil boiler only comes on if I switch the heat on. This is all very confusing. Thanks for the help!

Yeah they did. I checked with my electrician today. I just thought of something. When I switch the hot water on, should the oil boiler not ignite at least? It isn't doing anything. The oil boiler only comes on if I switch the heat on. This is all very confusing. Thanks for the help!
The boiler will only fire when at least one of your valves drive open and trigger the microswitch it looks like your HW valve is not doing that.

Do you have any hot water at all or does it run cold ?

Might be the valve could be how it's wired to the unvented cylinder

Holding the valve in the MAN position will not fire the boiler but your water will get hot when your heating is on.

It will fire the boiler / it should

The MAN position doesn't trigger the switch, the motor has to power it fully open for that to happen.

That's stupid Draytons do that's the point of manual on the valves

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi The area is near Telford in Shropshire. I...
Replies
Views
Alan Hayward
A
Sounds more like the heating zone valve isn’t...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
I think you meant a 4 core isolator, but you...
Replies
Views
You can probably get a Drayton kit but just...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back