hot f&e tank and boiler cutting out | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss hot f&e tank and boiler cutting out in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rambo

Hope you can help guys and gals.

I have an open vented central heating system. Potterton prima 100 boiler, large pump pushing hot water round 3 channels: (1) Hot water, (2) upstairs rads (10 including 1 bypass) and (3) downstairs UFH via a manifold. The upstairs rads are controlled via thermostat and the UFH manifold (which contains an internal pump) will switch on and off in response to separate thermostats. The rad system was flushed prior to the UFH being installed.

The boiler starting cutting out recently (initially every other week and then almost daily) requiring me to push the reset buttin to restart it (after realising I had no hot water to shower with).

I have BG cover and they replaced the Boiler stat and OH stat recently. I got through 2 weeks trouble free and now it is cutting out daily again. BG came out again and could not find any noticeable blockage within system or air in pump etc but did notice that f&e tank in loft was very hot. They have concluded that system is pumping out so there must be an unidentified blockage somewhere. Therefore the system needs another (in their view proper) flush (and that the bypass piping was old and narrow and not helping things). They were however unable to find a blockage. They have turned the boiler down from near max and reduced the pump speed and recommened a flush or replacing the old boiler.

I am not convinced by the diagnosis and wanted your expert opinions.

Personaly I'd be throwing a pump at this fault if it's defo overheating.

These boilers have got an issue with the pcbs, the symptoms include constant reseting and unable to reset at all. The new pcb comes with all new wiring for the boiler which all needs replacing aswell.

Hope that helps

yes the prima has cr*p pcbs and fans much like its replacement the suprima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Would an open hot water tap / open radiator...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
Back