Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot flow and return pipes, hot upstairs rad but cold rads downstairs in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

As in the title, the flow and return pipes both get hot when the heating is turned on, yet only the upstairs radiators get hot.

I am very puzzled by this. Even turning off all thermostatic valves upstairs, none of the downstairs rads get hot. Our plumber says there must be a blockage looking for a second opinion. Not sure how there can be a blockage if the return is still hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

All goes into the mixer mate. Always worth pointing out.
Most of the new valiant boilers you can on the boiler Display give so many KW to heating and hot water just check this . if the heating has not been used in summer most times the pump gets stuck free this up with big screwdriver I have also seen the nut behind the chrome screw on pump turn but the impeller stays put? As with Most of the new Boilers Valiant. Glow- worm. Worchester 30 CDI you can Map the Pump you should look at this as well . I think you should be ok if you are only touching the wet side of system To put it another way if AAV went in boiler and water flooding every were and in order to stop this you could turn off isolation valves I know what I would do

Most of the new valiant boilers you can on the boiler Display give so many KW to heating and hot water just check this . if the heating has not been used in summer most times the pump gets stuck free this up with big screwdriver I have also seen the nut behind the chrome screw on pump turn but the impeller stays put? As with Most of the new Boilers Valiant. Glow- worm. Worchester 30 CDI you can Map the Pump you should look at this as well . I think you should be ok if you are only touching the wet side of system To put it another way if AAV went in boiler and water flooding every were and in order to stop this you could turn off isolation valves I know what I would do

Not a gas engineer myself mate so think I will leave the internals alone as advised but thanks anyway.

Right, the problem is solved!

We had a gas engineer over for about 45 minutes trying various things. He put the boiler into service mode and closed all upstairs rads. Nothing got hot downstairs. He recommended a power flush.

Few days later a different engineer from the same company called me about the power flush and suggested it may be an air lock. He suggested there may be an air release valve somewhere upstairs but I didn't know where it could be.

He came over, had a look at our pipework. Mentioned an airlock is very likely as it goes up and over so is quite prone to that happening.
Put the boiler into service mode again and whacked the pressure right up and turned the pump up (was on auto before). This fixed it, suddenly heard all the air moving in the system and voila, heat downstairs. Shouldn't happen so easily now either.

Very pleased as saved a £500 power flush which wasn't even needed!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
  • Question
we have 2 separate valves and they both open...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could be frozen, depends on pipe layout, does...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Any works gone on since the system last worked ?
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back