Hot water off – intermittent fault | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water off – intermittent fault in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

S

skatesy

I have an Alpha conventional boiler with Y Plan. Up to recently, both CH and HW worked fine but the HW would go off occasionally. Switching the main supply off and on seemed to fix that for a while.

But now the HW seems to have packed up completely. I have checked the wiring and have done as many checks as I can. Both room and cylinder thermostats seem OK. I have checked the power to terminals under different condition and there always seemed to be an anomaly that did not match the circuit diagrams. After much checking, I found that, T6 (from HW-on, going to C on cyl stat) and T7 (from HW-off, going to 2 on cyl stat and grey to motorised valve) were both powered. Perhaps T7 (HW-off) is cancelling T6 (HW-on)?

I disconnected the lead from HW-off to T 7. The motorised valve went to the mid position (A+B) but the boiler did not fire. I reconnected the lead, CH came on the valve motored to the B position, CH came on but no HW.

With heating and water calling I get power on Terminals 4,5,6,7 and 8. All this seems to indicate that the programmer is at fault and sending out both HW off and on signals but I would like to confirm this before paying £90 for an Alpha programmer.

Initially I thought that the motorised valve or motor were faulty but they seem to be moving OK and I would rather not waste £100 on replacing them without curing the problem plus the bother of draining the system.

Any help or advice gratefully received

Where's the valve when calling for hot water only? What make 'y'plan valve do you have installed?

Honeywell Y Plan.
I wound down the room stat and checked that the cylinder stat was calling. Valve was in position A. However, I then switched off the main supply, the valve went to position B but the bouiler did not fire.
I then wound up the room stat so it was calling for heat, valve went to positionA, the boiler fired, Terminals 4,5,6,7 and 8 became live.

There must be an explanation but I can't think of it!!

Upvote 0
Position B is hot water only, A is heating only, AB shared! No idea what you're on about regards terminals to be honest, however for the valve to move to 'A' requires a live to the white (r/stat) and grey (h/w satisfied).... Sounds like you have some dodgy wiring or a diverter actuator fault IMO :)

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
OK thanks for the response. I hadn't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Its a very ingenious but devilishly cunning...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks, I have a probe thermometer so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As an experiment could you go away for weekend...
Replies
Views
Back