Hot water won't come on by itself | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Hot water won't come on by itself in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I wonder if anyone can help diagnose a problem I'm having.

My hot water won't come on by itself.

The system is a pretty bog-standard gravity fed type with the cylinder, pump, 2 port valve etc in a first-floor airing cupboard.

If I switch on the heating by itself it works.

If I switch on the heating and hot water together the pump switches off. If I then turn down the cylinder thermostat the pump switches back on and I start getting a supply of hot water to the cylinder. This isn't ideal though because supposedly there's nothing to tell the 2 port valve when there's enough hot water? Could this be harmful?

The 2 port valve seems to be switching to direct water to each part of the system without any problem so I don't think that's the issue. As far as I can tell the problem lies with the controller which is a pretty ancient looking Potterton EP2002.

Anybody able to offer any thoughts?

I'm no expert but I think this is a 2 port.
It's just started a few days ago.

IMG_20190222_133807.jpg

Ok when calling for hot water on it’s own do you get a feed to cylinder stat from programmer and then to boiler live?

That's beyond my capabilities to check safely. Have ordered a new 3 port valve head, I'm comfortable swapping that out. We'll see if that helps. Thanks for helping out.
If that doesn't resolve the issue what would you suggest? I have a spare Drayton controller on standby if necessary...

F10361AE-EC51-46D2-8F24-A47C47BFCB69.png B452E0E7-DAAC-4AA7-8C83-5283DEE5A52A.png I suggest get someone out who can diagnose it. These valves are pretty simple inside, I’ll attach an image. With what you’ve said I would be suspicious of the programmer not supplying feed to cylinder stat (of course I could be wrong). I don’t think changing the valve head will fix it but again I might be wrong.

As Chris says I’ve seen quite a few old cylinders with a 15mm flow and return, at a time when cylinders had a longer reheat time it was deemed acceptable, as you know nowadays cylinders have a coil output in the much higher KW outputs, sometimes even larger than boiler output itself and we wouldn’t get away with 15mm pipework. As for the the pipework in picture it’s hard to make out the arrangement lol

Regarding the 15mm pipe in the middle, if it helps to solve the mystery there's a shut-off valve just below and out of shot.

There appears to have been quite a few alterations to the pipework in the airing cupboard. Partially to accommodate some new rads in an extension and partly to add a couple of showers, the Aqualisa types that sit up in the loft.

We moved in last summer and for month or two were convinced we had a leak somewhere inside the house because even after all toilets had finished filling up the meter was still spinning. I eventually realised that the first floor toilets and showers were being fed by pipes coming out of the main loft tank so it was this that was filling up for a good half hour after everything else had.

Last edited:
Well, changed the controller this morning and still have exactly the same problem so will change the 3 port head unit tomorrow. With the cylinder stat having already been changed I'm guessing there's not many components left to change??

If I need to get an engineer in so be it but would prefer the satisfaction of sorting it myself if I can.

So it is a diverter valve not a mid-position (which would be a 5 wire)? are you sure the valve is the right way around, as normally heating can not be on without hot water.

Chris he said it has three wires for the cylinder stat, he didn’t mean the valve. I believe he means this is a mid position valve.

Ivan with these valves, if HW and CH are on at same time or just HW then power to boiler is through the cylinder stat. When you turn down the cylinder stat this satisfies the stat and the grey HW off wire becomes energised, this then motors over to CH only and power to boiler and pump is through valve orange wire

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That’s good, we’ll persevered! Let us know...
Replies
Views
At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
Back