How best to protect pipes from freezing in a sport pavilion | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How best to protect pipes from freezing in a sport pavilion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ken1414

Looking for some advice on trying to prevent future frozen pipes on a sports pavilion built in 2008. It is owned by the parish council which I am now on.
The pipes in roof froze last year and caused a big flood as no one went in building for several weeks afterwards, pavilion is only used by football club who don’t play in freezing condition. The pipes run in the loft at the top of the roof space, i.e just below wood at top of roof ridge. They are insulated.
I was told that no one could be sure if heating was on when pipes froze and that heating system can cut out as it overheats. Getting heating system sorted and thought solution was to simply check heating was on. I therefore put in a temperature sensor which sends an SMS when temperature drops to 2C near pipes in loft.
This week when temperature dropped to -8C outside I got an SMS to say pipes down to 2C. Heating was on in building and rooms were 16C. Obviously not enough heat getting through loft insulation to heat pipes. I went and put an electric fan heater in loft space but this didn’t raise temperature much so I drained down pipes to be on safe side.
Should I be concerned at temperatures of 2C in pipes? I would guess in an exceptional year might get down to -12C or -15C outside which would potential mean pipes get down below freezing. I live near Swindon, Wiltshire. Would pipes freeze or would lagging protect them? I am guessing freeze as if below 0C will eventually freeze.
The hot water system pipes are on a loop system with an electric pump so I can heat them by simply leaving hot water on as hot water will be piped around pipes in loft space.
Cold water pipes could still freeze. Would something like this prevent the problem - Trace Heating Cable Tape Pipe Insulation, Lagging, Foam, Armaflex, Commercial, Industrial, UK - Pipe Insulation, Lagging, Foam, Armaflex, Commercial, Industrial, UK. Have approx. 25M of pipe so not that expensive to fit. If fitted something like this could we then turn heating down in building to say 10C and save money that way. Seems more sensible to heat the exposed pipes rather than trying to get enough heat going through loft insulation to prevent pipes freezing?
Thks for any advice anyone can give.

P.S. The building was built by grant from football foundation, and others, and came to £450K. We are a small parish council with total income of approx £30k. Football club pay £2.2k rent of which much goes on paying council tax for the pavilion. Pavilion will never break even so really just trying to reduce costs to parish council and make sure building is maintained properly. Don’t think insurer will like another claim for a burst pipe! Draining down building in cold periods isn’t really an option as councillors are mostly old and not interested in that sort of thing. They might be able to turn off mains water stopcock in cold spells but that would be the limit. Stops a big flood but if pipes burst still need to get fixed.

I'd say trace heating is definitely your best bet. I wouldn't use the hot water pump to prevent freezing. It will be cheaper to run trace heating on all of the pipework in the loft and fit a frost stat in the hall to keep the hall above 5 degrees.

Also look at fitting a sure stop remote stop tap to make it easier for people to turn the mains water off.

It's now standard policy for local authorities to drain down public buildings, pavilions and public toilets before any extended period of non usage, i.e holidays, cold weather etc.

I spent a week draining down buildings before the Christmas Holidays. It is the only way to fully protect against burst pipes and the resulting water damage that burst pipes cause.

You can do this yourself if you know how, but please make sure that all water related electrical equipment such as immersion heaters, pump switches etc. are turned off and display a notice saying that the water system has been drained down and not to switch anything on.

Thks for all the replies. I am not a plumber and it is great to have some input from those who know much more then me.

Looks like it is trace heat all the pipes, 75m in total, or drain down. I think it is probably best to go for drain down as trace wires quite expensive to install on all pipes. When/if the pavilion gets more use can think of trace heating.

As to who drains it down that is another story. If council haven't got money for heaters will need to pay someone to drain down. It isn't hard and doesn't need doing often.

If the council own the building, it's their responsibility to maintain it. They should drain it down as our council does.

Last year I fitted trace heat to 8 properties which had recurring freezing problems, 1 ambient stat can run a 100 metre length of trace cable, not sure of the price for the equipment, but if you look round you should get a good price, I.e. the trace heating company, these were vicarages, big old properties that have to be kept in good condition, but which sometimes can be vacant for upto 6 months.

I think you can get a frost activated drain valve ..used in solar HWS can't think of the brand .. you might try RWC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for the response - it is more or less...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Mega flow 210i /capacity 195ltr. Was the...
Replies
Views
Re: How to prevent a pipe from the kitchen...
Replies
Views
Each manufacturer tends to suggest a slightly...
Replies
Views
Back